the crane the crane | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

sutomcat I think I posted the picture of this stadium before with the lighting.
Very cool. It would be awesome to make the crown truss orange every night after a Syracuse victory. Maybe do something with the lights to simulate a train or a roller coaster car riding on the crown truss 20 minutes before a game in the dome starts to signal fans to get inside.

The star at the top of the Mony Tower used to change color based on the weather forecast. Maybe they could do something like this with the lighting for the crown truss as well?

Little things like this stuff can help make the facility a beloved and integral part of the university and the city.

Hey I'm sure this has been covered but- any plans do to anything to the exterior walls? A good power washing or some lighting if nothing else?

Looks like they brought a pretty large type of crane inside the dome a few minutes ago. I wonder if that has to do with the new roof project or something that just needed repair.

One of the smaller cranes went into the Dome a little while ago.

Screenshot from 2020-01-28 11-33-09.png

Stood next to that piece on way to game Saturday, I thought 3 more to complete side. Tomcat says four, I’ll go with Tom.
I checked it out too. The railing on that one looked pretty rough. Might be made of aluminum? Whatever it is, it doesn't have that high quality white paint on it that looks so good. I guess it really doesn't matter given it will be so high and far away from the general public...

There have been people on the box girder next to Walt, busy doing something. I am going to assume it has to do with prepping that piece for installation up top. We know a vertical spiral is needed to start the process. Hoping we see one go up next to the northwest grouping before the end of today.

That crane that went into the dome came right off a flatbed truck. Very mysterious.

Last edited:
I checked it out too. The railing on that one looked pretty rough. Might be made of aluminum? Whatever it is, it doesn't have that high quality white paint on it that looks so good. I guess it really doesn't matter given it will be so high and far away from the general public...

There have been people on the box girder next to Walt, busy doing something. I am going to assume it has to do with prepping that piece for installation up top. We know a vertical spiral is needed to start the process. Hoping we see one go up next to the northwest grouping before the end of today.

That crane that went into the dome came right off a flatbed truck. Very mysterious.

That crane that went inside can’t be for anything significant. Would it even be long enough to reach the inside of the roof? Is it used for setting up the platform at the top of the pull out bleachers?

The crew is busy repositioning some of the weights used to offset the weight of the Walt's boom and load.

I will speculate that this is being done to allow Walt to load box girders and spirals towards the middle of the north wall.

Based on where the weights are being positioned, I am pretty sure this is right.

The crew is busy repositioning some of the weights used to offset the weight of the Walt's boom and load.

I will speculate that this is being done to allow Walt to load box girders and spirals towards the middle of the north wall.

Based on where the weights are being positioned, I am pretty sure this is right.
There was one day that I was able to watch as the rear boom was anchored to a huge grouping of weights, allowing Walt to extend his reach for one of the 50+ ton loads. Amazing engineering at play...

Very cool. It would be awesome to make the crown truss orange every night after a Syracuse victory. Maybe do something with the lights to simulate a train or a roller coaster car riding on the crown truss 20 minutes before a game in the dome starts to signal fans to get inside.

The star at the top of the Mony Tower used to change color based on the weather forecast. Maybe they could do something like this with the lighting for the crown truss as well?

Little things like this stuff can help make the facility a beloved and integral part of the university and the city.

So many possibilities. Could have the simulated lights after TD scored even. Really looking forward to the lighting aspects (both interior and exterior) of the new Dome. It should be a big change to the game day experience for both football and basketball. And if done right, could set us apart from every other college football team in the country.

I believe it is standard practice to include exterior lighting with new stadia. Attached are pictures of US Bank Stadium, along with MetLife lit up for a Giants game and a Jets game.

I doubt they will add that kind of exterior lighting but with the crown truss being such a focal point for the renovated building, I would be really surprised if they do not add lighting to make it stand out at night.

I believe I have read that it is planned. I believe the plans are to use LED lights and to have the ability to light it using whatever color scheme they want.

If the goal is to make a splash and introduce a ‘wow factor’, doing this is a no brainer. Could be that it isn’t ready from day one if they end up running late. But I believe it will happen.

View attachment 175931
View attachment 175932
View attachment 175933
Tomcat - a big part of the lighting which also provides identity to the building and the corporation who is the main sponsor who we all hope will be paying $ for their name in lights brought up a few questions to me. 1. Since I am an Industrial Design grad of SU I have worked on large identity signage projects though nothing quite to this scale. The final lighting and logo can very much make this project a wonderful experience. I believe you are right that with each new stadia lighting is part of the overall plan. I also had the idea of a moving orange part/vehicle to run the length of the crown truss clockwise or counter clockwise whichever works aesthetically best. Could be when it is in operation the lighting on the columns are lowered so all you see is this orange dot moving along the truss. That part is another project in itself. 2. What are we thinking these days about a sponsor to name the building? Does anyone want their name on it or do we forget the yearly big check and just call it THE DOME or Orange Dome? The $/ time period if we go that way would be, I believe be, worked out by JW and the board of trustees. 3. Do we want a large local - local business being a corporate sponsor in NY who everyone would recognize or a national sponsor wanting their name in lights and if either does, how big is the logo where does it go on the building, etc.? All things that need to be created and finalized. The columns, a la Legacy's pic around the building, seem a natural to receive orange lighting as well as the bottom of the box girders. Top lighting design firms are out there and like I mentioned last night, Hayner Hoyt may already have this planned into the total contract. So, there are some things to think about - whatever happens if done really well, (maybe give it to the students in the Industrial Design class to complete so the entire design from construction to lighting are done locally in Syracuse for Syracuse University), I believe the final project at night with lights will look great and could make this building the champagne of college stadiums. :)

Last edited:
So many possibilities. Could have the simulated lights after TD scored even. Really looking forward to the lighting aspects (both interior and exterior) of the new Dome. It should be a big change to the game day experience for both football and basketball. And if done right, could set us apart from every other college football team in the country.
That’s in phase 6.

Tomcat - a big part of the lighting which also provides identity to the building and the corporation who is the main sponsor who we all hope will be paying $ for their name in lights brought up a few questions to me. 1. Since I am an Industrial Design grad of SU I have worked on large identity signage projects though nothing quite to this scale. The final lighting and logo can very much make this project a wonderful experience. I believe you are right that with each new stadia lighting is part of the overall plan. I also had the idea of a moving orange part/vehicle to run the length of the crown truss clockwise or counter clockwise whichever works aesthetically best. Could be when it is in operation the lighting on the columns are lowered so all you see is this orange dot moving along the truss. That part is another project in itself. 2. What are we thinking these days about a sponsor to name the building? Does anyone want their name on it or do we forget the yearly big check and just call it THE DOME or Orange Dome? The $/ time period if we go that way would be, I believe be, worked out by JW and the board of trustees. 3. Do we want a large local - local business being a corporate sponsor in NY who everyone would recognize or a national sponsor wanting their name in lights and if either does, how big is the logo where does it go on the building, etc.? All things that need to be created and finalized. The columns, a la Legacy's pic around the building, seem a natural to receive orange lighting as well as the bottom of the box girders. Top lighting design firms are out there and like I mentioned last night, Hayner Hoyt may already have this planned into the total contract. So, there are some thing to think about - whatever happens if done really well, (maybe give it to the students in the Industrial Design class to complete so the entire design from construction to lighting are done locally in Syracuse for Syracuse University), I believe the final project at night with lights will look great and could make this building the champagne of college stadiums. :)
I wish the crown truss would be visible from inside the stadium, especially for night games. But I don’t think that is happening. The outer perimeter of the new roof will be fixed, hard and presumably mostly made of steel. No way you will be able to see through that. Up near the top of the 300 sections, you might be able to see a faint glow of crown truss lights through the somewhat translucent PTFE material of the inner part of the roof. But the focus will be, and should be on the LED lighting on the interior of the building.

I don’t know what is going to happen with the building name, Syracuse is certainly moving towards using a new name. In the end, I think SU and Carrier will reach a compromise and the name will be retained. But that is just a guess on my part.

I wish the crown truss would be visible from inside the stadium, especially for night games. But I don’t think that is happening. The outer perimeter of the new roof will be fixed, hard and presumably mostly made of steel. No way you will be able to see through that. Up near the top of the 300 sections, you might be able to see a faint glow of crown truss lights through the somewhat translucent PTFE material of the inner part of the roof. But the focus will be, and should be on the LED lighting on the interior of the building.

I don’t know what is going to happen with the building name, Syracuse is certainly moving towards using a new name. In the end, I think SU and Carrier will reach a compromise and the name will be retained. But that is just a guess on my part.
I am hoping that they are smart enough to not settle for a dime less that what the highest bidder would pay for those naming rights if it weren't Carrier.

Also should put an end to any perpetuity deal in writing in any new cotract.

I am actually hoping they litigate out of it to stick it to Carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom