the crane the crane | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

And we have lift off of the short thick spiral support.

View attachment 175906
Yes, I think they are moving them closer to where they will be installed. If there was any doubt that they are focusing now on filling the gap, I think it is removed.

I would expect them to add the collars over at the base of the north wall soon and probably get a vertical spiral in place shortly after that. It would be awesome if they could connect a box girder to the northwest corner today after that.

They installed a diagonal spiral this morning to finish supporting the new box girder that was added to the northeast grouping.

Looks like they might be getting another vertical spiral ready to add to the northeast grouping. We have 4 box girders to go to bridge the gap fully. In a perfect world, we will add two today to get that number to 2.

I will add that it appears they are continuing to do work on the west wall of the dome to prep it for the installation of the big back stay it will have. Anyone know if the back stay has been installed on the east wall? I would think so by now. Meant to check this out when I went to the Pitt game Saturday but I was with friends and didn't have time.

Last edited:
There's some minor work going on on the West side of the Dome.
Could be related to backstays or support wiring.

Yup, everything is focused on the North side of the Dome. We could really use a Hendricks cam.
The Link hall camera's lens is a mess.

It looks like we may be done for the day.

Just got in from an all day meeting at a clients and read everyone's posts all about today and looked at the pics taken of that work. Five minutes ago I was looking at the Dome tonight and it reminded me of a post I made early on in this thread about how great this will look finished and "lighted" from the outside at night. I have to think it 's going to look very nice if done well and why wouldn't it be? I don't think Sala's mentioned anything about it yet. As a designer myself I can see it - maybe a type of lighting when an event is occurring inside or the same all the time enhancing the Crown Truss and all the steel. Perhaps some of that light could be orange and done in a way as to add to the total "look of the Dome" Suttle or blaring? They would have to build a scale model of some size or experiment with it on site to achieve the desired results. I just think it would add to the best on campus sports facility in the United States. It's very early to be thinking about lighting but I can dream.

Last edited:
Just got in from an all day meeting at a clients and read everyone's posts all about today and looked at the pics taken of that work. Five minutes ago I was looking at the Dome tonight and it reminded me of a post I made early on in this thread about how great this will look finished and "lighted" from the outside at night. I have to think it 's going to look very nice if done well and why wouldn't it be? I don't think Sala's mentioned anything about it yet. As a designer myself I can see it - maybe a type of lighting when an event is occurring inside or the same all the time enhancing the Crown Truss and all the steel. Perhaps some of that light could be orange and done in a way as to add to the total "look of the Dome" Suttle or blaring? They would have to build a scale model of some size or experiment with it on site to achieve the desired results. I just think it would add to the best on campus sports facility in the United States. It's very early to be thinking about lighting but I can dream.
There has been no official plan for lighting so I wouldn’t get your hopes up. They probably didn’t bother to include a 120V/GFCI up there just to keep costs down. I kid, sorta.

There has been no official plan for lighting so I wouldn’t get your hopes up. They probably didn’t bother to include a 120V/GFCI up there just to keep costs down. I kid, sorta.
My hopes are way up. The architects and engineers who designed the Crown Truss for the DOME, with all the back stays, spiral columns and box girder angles and weight requirements, etc., have done an impeccable job looking at what they have accomplished so far. Lighting it will be icing on the cake for Hayner Hoyt, IMHO. :)

I believe it is standard practice to include exterior lighting with new stadia. Attached are pictures of US Bank Stadium, along with MetLife lit up for a Giants game and a Jets game.

I doubt they will add that kind of exterior lighting but with the crown truss being such a focal point for the renovated building, I would be really surprised if they do not add lighting to make it stand out at night.

I believe I have read that it is planned. I believe the plans are to use LED lights and to have the ability to light it using whatever color scheme they want.

If the goal is to make a splash and introduce a ‘wow factor’, doing this is a no brainer. Could be that it isn’t ready from day one if they end up running late. But I believe it will happen.

1580178327783.jpeg

1580178433594.jpeg

1580178455666.jpeg

Various truss lighting options. Lights under the truss, aimed down. Lights from under the truss and/or along the concrete border aimed up.

I went to check the one camera through the twitter link this morning. And got this message...

Caution: This account is temporarily restricted.

You’re seeing this warning because there has been some unusual activity from this account. Do you still want to view it?

I could tell them the unusual activity is from a bunch of crane nerds on a sports forum. ;)

Work continues prepping the west wall for a back stay. Anyone know for sure if the back stay has been installed on the east wall? It would be in the middle, way up top.

My expectations for today are that a box girder will be added to the northeast grouping to bridge the gap to the vertical spiral added yesterday.

Hoping another vertical will be added to the northwest grouping and a box girder added too.

And hoping the back stay for the west wall gets installed. That would be a great day of progress and take the gap between the groupings down to 2 box girders.

Annotation 2020-01-28 084057.png

Looks like some additional supports are going in on the west side? Are there similar supports on the North side?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom