the crane the crane | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

no please. :(
It was the first one that didn't look correctly aligned after it was put in place. I think it was either made wrong or they put up the wrong one.

It was the first one that didn't look correctly aligned after it was put in place. I think it was either made wrong or they put up the wrong one.
Or they grabbed the wrong one. I mean, they do all tend to look alike (well, those within each group).

big ol' girder being delivered. That sucker appears to be much bigger than the one currently being stored onsite.

So, today is interesting. Looks like the spiral column on the north side has come down and a new girder on the NW side has been delivered to the yard.

It's 2:11P.M. and the newly arrived very, very large box girder is being thoroughly inspected by two of the crew walking all around the top. Walt is lifting something but I have no idea what it is? THAT IS ONE BIG GIRDER!

Some of the crew are hanging around the red storage shed and the white crane's hoist has straps attached to it although they are out of sight. Something is getting moved from that area I think.

I think they were putting the straps away from offloading the new girder.

Tomcat, spiral steel columns have to be installed to support any more box girders as they're all in use right now supporting the existing ones - IMHO?

Last edited:
It's getting close to the end of the day for the crew. That girder is going to stay right where it is. Dang!

The trailer that carried the last very large box girder is readying to leave and the lead "WIDE LOAD" SUV and follow are ready to go as well back to Montreal. Interesting to note the special trailer involved to carry the long girder. It has additional wheels at the rear to enable the length to get around like some hook and ladder fire trucks that requires a man or woman at the back steering the ass - end around corners. Some crew are working on that rear right now at 3:23P.M. Back to Montreal. And the end of another day - gates closed.

Last edited:
The trailer that carried the last very large large box girder is readying to leave and the lead "WIDE LOAD" SUV left 10 minutes ago back to Montreal.
I'd love to know which bridge they use to cross? Can't imagine the 1000 Island Bridge would be optimal.

Tomcat, spiral steel columns have to be installed to support any more box girders as their all in use right now supporting the existing ones - IMHO?
There are no standalone spirals up right now so yes, they are going to have to put one up before they can get a box girder up.

I hope these things happen to both groupings early tomorrow.

Last edited:
T

There are no standalone spirals up right now so yes, they are going to have to put one up before they can get a box girder up.

I hope these things happen to both groupings early tomorrow.
Agreed, they need to take advantage of the relatively benign weather expected the next 10-14 days. We all know you are not out of potential blizzards until mid/late March and snow and ice until mid April is possible.

If they can get this completed by April 1st I think they are still on schedule. They surely have some nice to have items that can be shelved until Phase 2 or done in phases throughout Fall/Winter 2020 around events.

ogdensburg?
I haven't been on Route 11 in a long time up there but last I knew, it was pretty darned narrow and a single lane in each direction. If those trucks are going the through 812 and 11 and all those villages on the way, wow, that must make for some interesting situations.

I can't believe Route 11 is strong enough to carry the kind of weight of many of these pieces either.

At least if they take 401 and 81 they have some high quality highways to work with.

I wonder if they thought about using barges and taking them down the river and all the way to Oswego? Is the Seaway open in the winter? Probably not?

I wish the crown truss would be visible from inside the stadium, especially for night games. But I don’t think that is happening. The outer perimeter of the new roof will be fixed, hard and presumably mostly made of steel. No way you will be able to see through that. Up near the top of the 300 sections, you might be able to see a faint glow of crown truss lights through the somewhat translucent PTFE material of the inner part of the roof. But the focus will be, and should be on the LED lighting on the interior of the building.

I don’t know what is going to happen with the building name, Syracuse is certainly moving towards using a new name. In the end, I think SU and Carrier will reach a compromise and the name will be retained. But that is just a guess on my part.

I do not know if this might be impacting Carrier negotiations, but Carrier is being spun off from UTX as part of the merger with Raytheon. New corporation will be Raytheon Technologies with Otis and Carrier spin offs becoming separate entities.

I do not know if this might be impacting Carrier negotiations, but Carrier is being spun off from UTX as part of the merger with Raytheon. New corporation will be Raytheon Technologies with Otis and Carrier spin offs becoming separate entities.

Raytheon blows

Just a thought. Looking at Walt's position in relation to the counterweight tray you can usually tell where work will be happening tomorrow(?). I believe all Walt has to do is a 270 ending with his back to the tray lift the weight and begin to work on the side nearest his yard. The backstay is already in position. To my view there are two spirals available. One in the yard and one between the inner and outer fence parallel to the street. Don't know if there any in storage.

Just had an update on channel 9. Sala said they are on schedule. Large crane that was inside the dome was working on taking down banners and things that need to be taken down for when the current roof is removed. He also said that the roller coaster doesn't have to be up until the end of March. He said this was the easy part, putting the new roof will be the more difficult task.