the crane the crane | Page 70 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Just had an update on channel 9. Sala said they are on schedule. Large crane that was inside the dome was working on taking down banners and things that need to be taken down for when the current roof is removed. He also said that the roller coaster doesn't have to be up until the end of March. He said this was the easy part, putting the new roof will be the more difficult task.

The three most popular lies...

I love you.

The check is in the mail.

We're still on schedule.

It was the first one that didn't look correctly aligned after it was put in place. I think it was either made wrong or they put up the wrong one.

I’ll give them a break. I’ve installed plenty of ikea stuff backwards lol

Just a thought. Looking at Walt's position in relation to the counterweight tray you can usually tell where work will be happening tomorrow(?). I believe all Walt has to do is a 270 ending with his back to the tray lift the weight and begin to work on the side nearest his yard. The backstay is already in position. To my view there are two spirals available. One in the yard and one between the inner and outer fence parallel to the street. Don't know if there any in storage.
Yes, the placement of the counter weights (southwest of Walt) suggests Walt is going to be lifting things to the northeast of the crane. Where the gap is between the two box girder groupings.

I do not know if this might be impacting Carrier negotiations, but Carrier is being spun off from UTX as part of the merger with Raytheon. New corporation will be Raytheon Technologies with Otis and Carrier spin offs becoming separate entities.
I think it is safe to assume negotiations are not going well given we know SU has removed all references to the name Carrier from its media guides.

Not sure things can get worse. I would think any change at Carrier could only improve things.

I do not know about that, only what is occurring. It may be affecting Carrier decision making capability until final.

Oh, I’m not commenting on the reason for your post.

Sala said they are working on waterproofing the inside for when there is no roof.

This article makes it sound like the current roof will be removed before the new one is installed.
Makes me think things are not going according to the original schedule, because that was not the original plan that was given out before. Perhaps an adjustment to make the roof installation easier enabling a catch up for finishing on time.

If they are "on schedule" it may be because there is now a new revised schedule.

Last edited:
It’s not
I take it you are aware of something I am not. Okay then. Or did you mean the spin off is not happening? My information from UTC says it is.

I take it you are aware of something I am not. Okay then. Or did you mean the spin off is not happening? My information from UTC says it is.
Spin off is happening.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but in addition to the two girders next to Walt, another girder is on site. They moved the truck so you can't see it from the web cam. Go back around 6:49 and you can see it move away to make room for the one that just arrived today. I drove by the area today and saw both pieces on their trucks. Around 6:30 back you can see the new piece arrive.

this is why i get confused

from april 2019

. From May of 2020 to mid-to-late September of 2020 we’ll construct that roof so we won’t lose a single football, basketball or lacrosse game.”

from this fall

The inflatable roof is set to come down in early March.

other stories and time lines say the same thing? where did we come up with the idea the new roof was going on first?

Looks like Walt is strapped to large girder, but no place for it to be put up. Maybe just shuffled to North side for proximity.

Looks like Walt is strapped to large girder, but no place for it to be put up. Maybe just shuffled to North side for proximity.
Since there is no vertical spiral up to support it, I agree with this.

Update: I see a spiral on its way up from the Link Hall camera. It looks like we are going to put up a box girder on the northwest grouping, to close the gap to 3! I think it might all happen today.

Walt's cousin has a spiral support on its hook... :)

013120.png

He can say we are on schedule all he wants. I work as a project manager and I know what is going on here lol. In terms of hitting the overall end date yeah I’m sure we will make sure we are on schedule. As of right now I have to think we are behind the original schedule. We have a path planned to make up for the schedule slips I am sure. So yes saying we are on schedule is correct and not correct at the same time in my opinion. It will all be fine but it will be a mad dash to complete it at the 11th hour like every construction project on the face of the earth lol

He can say we are on schedule all he wants. I work as a project manager and I know what is going on here lol. In terms of hitting the overall end date yeah I’m sure we will make sure we are on schedule. As of right now I have to think we are behind the original schedule. We have a path planned to make up for the schedule slips I am sure. So yes saying we are on schedule is correct and not correct at the same time in my opinion. It will all be fine but it will be a mad dash to complete it at the 11th hour like every construction project on the face of the earth lol
Truth

It depends on how you are measuring what defines “on schedule”. Are they on schedule to an interim milestone? Probably not. Are they on schedule to the completion milestone? Maybe. He may be speaking to that completion milestone and not an interim one. Especially if they built in some schedule margin or have a plan for making up any slippage by using tools like crashing the schedule. I do know he said they didn’t have much planned for the heaviest part of winter. Not sure what he considers the heaviest part (maybe Jan/Feb?) but anything they are doing now, “may” be during a period where nothing was planned.