the crane the crane | Page 71 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

The three most popular lies...

I love you.

The check is in the mail.

We're still on schedule.
I always heard a different third most popular lie, but I can't say it in public. ;)

3C2CE4D5-FC31-4F98-B677-D8530D743AB0.jpeg

That looks better than the previous attempt.

They lifted girder a tad, maybe to inspect straps. think its getting ready to go ( Walt side)

I don't think they will move the box girder up until the cables holding the new supporting spiral are tied in, filly secured and the precise angle for the spiral has been set up. Until Walt Jr releases the spiral, I think it is unlikely, the box girder is going anywhere.

So when you see the spiral get released from the cable supporting it, we should be pretty close. It is good to see a sense of urgency today. There was a game yesterday and another today so this is it. Big day. Need to move some steel!

As they swing that monster piece of steel over the dome and closer to the existing truss, it looks quite nerve-wracking. I want to watch, but I also don’t want to watch!

As they swing that monster piece of steel over the dome and closer to the existing truss, it looks quite nerve-wracking. I want to watch, but I also don’t want to watch!

I'm freaking out over here cause i thought they would put those counter weights in the yard on before swinging it out. Must not be needed?

edit: upon further review, maybe they are attached. whoops!

This is fascinating stuff. The engineering and the steps they go through to move and sustain loads like these is inspiring on a human level. Cool experience to be able to watch it...
Agree. I don't remember any box girder taking this long to get in place. They still aren't very close on it. It looks like they are taking every precaution to be sure it goes well.

I am worried that expansion on the northeast grouping to close the gap might not happen for a while given with happened with the spiral that was put in place and then removed.

I am assuming it was removed due to a manufacturing defect (or maybe it was broken when they tried to install it?).

Regardless, I think all the pieces are unique and custom made and am thinking it might take weeks to get a replacement for it made.

We should find out in the next couple of days. Once this box girder is put in place, I believe there will only be 3 left to bridge the gap. It will also take us to 10 of 36 box girders installed. Not good that this was supposed to be completed in January. Even if they do 3 a week, which would be a very significant improvement in speed, we are still looking at more than 8 weeks to get the crown truss completed.

I would be thrilled if it were completed by the end of March.

Man, How cool was that? @12:56P.M. I find it truly amazing regardless of the time frame/schedule that they can lift a girder that heavy and place it exactly where it is supposed to go and bolt it to the previous girder and column. Amazing! Good job crew. :)

Last edited:
Distances are tough to judge from the Lawrence cam, and Tommy has been following this more closely than I. But I swear, with this latest girder going in, it looks like there's space for only 2 to bridge the gap. Either way it's great to see progress after many days of waiting.

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone has seen it but since this is a construction thread you guys should check out some of the footage coming out of China to build these 2 hospitals in Wuhan. I think they've been doing it for 2 1/2 weeks and it's almost done. The work and coordination is unbelievable.

Don't know if anyone has seen it but since this is a construction thread you guys should check out some of the footage coming out of China to build these 2 hospitals in Wuhan. I think they've been doing it for 2 1/2 weeks and it's almost done. The work and coordination is unbelievable.
Link?

But, but what about the Environmental Impact Study?

Well, two girders in two weeks, starting to pick up the pace slowly, Might have had 2 if not for the up and down of the one spiral. I think the 3 per week speed should be accomplished soon. On the other hand, I know squat.