the crane the crane | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Just hear to say I chuckle to myself every time this thread title comes up.

A big milestone has been completed.

Walt finished completing the tension ring around the perimeter of the Dome a few minutes ago.

Good job Walt.

Ring.png

If those are going to be white, why on earth are they not pre finished?

If those are going to be white, why on earth are they not pre finished?
I think these giant brown pieces are part of the crown truss; the part of the new roof that looks kind of like a roller coaster. I too am surprised they are not painted white. I have come to really like the brilliant white of the current roof and was comforted to see the tension ring was the same color. It just looks right.

I can't believe they are going to paint them on site. Maybe we are getting a new naming rights deal with UPS?

FYI, that last sentence uses Courier New as the font. I have decided to use it as the sarcasm font from this point forward.

I
I think these giant brown pieces are part of the crown truss; the part of the new roof that looks kind of like a roller coaster. I too am surprised they are not painted white. I have come to really like the brilliant white of the current roof and was comforted to see the tension ring was the same color. It just looks right.

I can't believe they are going to paint them on site. Maybe we are getting a new naming rights deal with UPS?

FYI, that last sentence uses Courier New as the font. I have decided to use it as the sarcasm font from this point forward.
I think the cost of pre-finishing something few if any people will see up close as well as all bolted flange or plate connections. Field welding will wreck an expensive factory paint

I

I think the cost of pre-finishing something few if any people will see up close as well as all bolted flange or plate connections. Field welding will wreck an expensive factory paint
They are going to weld up there? The connections on the pictures Rick linked make it look like they bolt everything together. No matter, I am happy we are getting a new roof. Just have to change my expectations of how it was going to look a bit...

Maybe we’re changing our colors to orange and brown?

We're going Patina which is a totally bad azz look in the hot rod world. At least some of us think so.

But man now we're complaining about the pre-finished color of structural steel? Don’t care what the finish color is but there's no way structural steel would be pre-finished powder coated white.

Last edited:
Based on what we see on the pictures, the brown stuff looks like I-beam, it almost looked like the upper ring they currently installed appears tubular. The brown stuff may be more structural support? Just guessing.

It's pretty rare to see structural steel painted prior to being erected, very rare. It's definitely primed and ready to go but who knows. probably won't be seen but I am sure there is a bunch of welding to take place as well.

If they plan to dress it up with a fabric then painting might be a waste of $. This has been mentioned as a possible cosmetic tweak. I think there's a low-res rendering of this somewhere.

If they plan to dress it up with a fabric then painting might be a waste of $. This has been mentioned as a possible cosmetic tweak. I think there's a low-res rendering of this somewhere.
That was my thought as well. The brown may blend in or disappear if they are going to put some sort of facade over the top of it.