the crane the crane | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

They are slapping those temporary holding fixtures up on the fascade at an impressive clip. The whole west end is done.

Hoping they will start mounting pieces of the crown truss and its supports soon. Don't see any white steel getting piled up, so I suspect we will be seeing fixtures going up for at least the rest of this week.

There are lots of long brown pieces of steel piled up now. Are they going to get the cross truss up using ugly brown steel, and only then, when fully positioned, add the permanent white steel supporting pieces?

View attachment 170927

Maybe the brown steel will be used to hold the white support pieces until the upper ring is attached and connects them all together? Similar to how you add temporary supports to an exterior house wall during framing.

They are slapping those temporary holding fixtures up on the fascade at an impressive clip. The whole west end is done.

Hoping they will start mounting pieces of the crown truss and its supports soon. Don't see any white steel getting piled up, so I suspect we will be seeing fixtures going up for at least the rest of this week.

There are lots of long brown pieces of steel piled up now. Are they going to get the cross truss up using ugly brown steel, and only then, when fully positioned, add the permanent white steel supporting pieces?

View attachment 170927
While I believe the end product will be white, I still don't assume they will be factory finished. I believe they will be field painted. Also, given what I can discern of the design itself, I don't think any of the temporary support and bracing can or will be removed until the whole top cord of the truss is complete. It should function like an arch, and therefore cannot take a gravity or structural load until the "keystone" is put in place, like I think OttoMets was alluding to.

While I believe the end product will be white, I still don't assume they will be factory finished. I believe they will be field painted. Also, given what I can discern of the design itself, I don't think any of the temporary support and bracing can or will be removed until the whole top cord of the truss is complete. It should function like an arch, and therefore cannot take a gravity or structural load until the "keystone" is put in place, like I think OttoMets was alluding to.
Excellent. I find this project very interest to watch and wish there was at least one other streaming camera somewhere on the other side of the Dome.

I

I think the cost of pre-finishing something few if any people will see up close as well as all bolted flange or plate connections. Field welding will wreck an expensive factory paint
I doubt anything in air will be welded, to much danger to the existing roof if a hot welding spark were to fall on it, and if you have ever done any welding this is a sure thing.

They are going to weld up there? The connections on the pictures Rick linked make it look like they bolt everything together. No matter, I am happy we are getting a new roof. Just have to change my expectations of how it was going to look a bit...
No welding and I am pretty sure this is rust proof steel which is always this kind of brownish color.

I doubt anything in air will be welded, to much danger to the existing roof if a hot welding spark were to fall on it, and if you have ever done any welding this is a sure thing.

What could possibly go wrong?

1570151614107.png

No welding and I am pretty sure this is rust proof steel which is always this kind of brownish color.
Did you ever wonder if it’s brown because it is completely rusted over? Technically it is rustproof at that point because it won’t take on any more rust.

Did you ever wonder if it’s brown because it is completely rusted over? Technically it is rustproof at that point because it won’t take on any more rust.
No do tell, for your information rust proof steel does oxidize on the surface but it does not deteriorate further, painting rust proof steel is in fact neither necessary or recommended, but what would I know. Oh and oxidation is the correct term, because rust is a deteriorating process on regular steel which the formulation is designed to prevent. So your answer is no I already knew.

Last edited:
No do tell, for your information rust proof steel does oxidize on the surface but it does not deteriorate further, painting rust proof steel is in fact neither necessary or recommended, but what would I know. Oh and oxidation is the correct term, because rust is a deteriorating process on regular steel which the formulation is designed to prevent. So your answer is no I already knew.
Are you guys talking about core ten steel? That is not core ten steel. Not only is it way more expensive, but any runoff stains. It is a finish and I don’t believe that it is the desired finish. They would use galvanized before core ten, but I think this is just primed. I do believe the end result will be white. Good point about welding and fire. Is that also true of arc welding? I don’t know enough to say.

Any and every steel building is exposed to moisture and elements and must have some form of rust protection. Nobody would spend large sums of money on expensive coatings if the were eventually just going to fireproof and/enclose it. Paint is the cheapest and easiest method of rust protection and that is why bridges for example get painted. Our truss will be painted. My thought is that it will be painted in place rather than in a factory. I may still be wrong about this, but we’ve yet to see.

Any and every steel building is exposed to moisture and elements and must have some form of rust protection. Nobody would spend large sums of money on expensive coatings if the were eventually just going to fireproof and/enclose it. Paint is the cheapest and easiest method of rust protection and that is why bridges for example get painted. Our truss will be painted. My thought is that it will be painted in place rather than in a factory. I may still be wrong about this, but we’ve yet to see.
Why would the bottom frame around the perimeter that is already installed be prefinished white and all the rest need to be painted? That doesn’t really make sense.

Why would the bottom frame around the perimeter that is already installed be prefinished white and all the rest need to be painted? That doesn’t really make sense.
Maybe I missed something in the install. I thought the bottom was poured concrete. If there is indeed steel at the bottom ring, and it is pre-finished, I would guess either they are installing expensive pre-finished steel, or they installed the bottom cord prefinished thinking it would be good “insurance” against a painter not being able to get into all the nooks and crannies where all the snow will pile up and runoff will be channeled to. That said, I believe there will be an inner or middle ring of drainage, so the runoff will be half what it is now. I have no details on that, just hearsay.

Edit: I went back in the thread and saw the steel bottom cord. The above still holds correct as to my thoughts of why. I don’t have inside info, but know from experience that VE can do some seemingly strange things to a design.

Last edited:
Maybe I missed something in the install. I thought the bottom was poured concrete. If there is indeed steel at the bottom ring, and it is pre-finished, I would guess either they are installing expensive pre-finished steel, or they installed the bottom cord prefinished thinking it would be good “insurance” against a painter not being able to get into all the nooks and crannies where all the snow will pile up and runoff will be channeled to. That said, I believe there will be an inner or middle ring of drainage, so the runoff will be half what it is now. I have no details on that, just hearsay.

Edit: I went back in the thread and saw the steel bottom cord. The above still holds correct as to my thoughts of why. I don’t have inside info, but know from experience that VE can do some seemingly strange things to a design.
Retro told me the Plumber Union is getting a huge job to run numerous drains down the roof. The drains will be inside the building too...which presents some design issues.

Last edited:
Retro told me the Plumber Union is getting a huge job to run numerous drains down the roof. The drains will be inside the building too...which presents some design issues.
It's called a rain water harvesting system and there is already one at the Dome.

The brown is almost certainly a primer coat. In my industry we use a red oxide primer (std)...or white or grey. It is not a finish coat.

What I have heard is this, and I am not sure if I have said it before in another thread, so sorry if old dialogue: There was a late occurring realization about the roof "performance" that caused some early concerns and maybe even delays although by all accounts that has been recaptured. The two different roof materials will behave differently regarding expansion and contraction, and that was a problem itself, but with it came the realization that what causes that concern is the thermal properties of the material (U value) and that the rigid outer portion will transfer warmer interior temperatures at a slower rate (better R value) than the inner translucent portion. The current roof is one material so this is not a current issue. This difference is likely to cause snow on the inner portion to melt faster. That runoff will encounter the colder roof before it can reach the primary drainage system. As a result there is need for an intermediate drainage system that is more robust, in part because of the differential movement, and in part because of the temperature swings from day to night, from occupied to unoccupied, and simply because the snow that remains on the hard roof will refreeze the melt coming off the soft roof, creating an ice damn and increasing the potential to stop movement, an create weak points and potential leak points at the joint. Running the drains inside is related because otherwise they may have to heat trace the drains (to make sure it doesn't refreeze in the drain) which is not an expense they want to incur.

What I have heard is this, and I am not sure if I have said it before in another thread, so sorry if old dialogue: There was a late occurring realization about the roof "performance" that caused some early concerns and maybe even delays although by all accounts that has been recaptured. The two different roof materials will behave differently regarding expansion and contraction, and that was a problem itself, but with it came the realization that what causes that concern is the thermal properties of the material (U value) and that the rigid outer portion will transfer warmer interior temperatures at a slower rate (better R value) than the inner translucent portion. The current roof is one material so this is not a current issue. This difference is likely to cause snow on the inner portion to melt faster. That runoff will encounter the colder roof before it can reach the primary drainage system. As a result there is need for an intermediate drainage system that is more robust, in part because of the differential movement, and in part because of the temperature swings from day to night, from occupied to unoccupied, and simply because the snow that remains on the hard roof will refreeze the melt coming off the soft roof, creating an ice damn and increasing the potential to stop movement, an create weak points and potential leak points at the joint. Running the drains inside is related because otherwise they may have to heat trace the drains (to make sure it doesn't refreeze in the drain) which is not an expense they want to incur.

That's good information. I think there's a second more pressing problem: the concrete pours associated with the steel work have filled many of the original drains that they'll still need this winter with the old roof. That's why retro heard about this more immediate work.