the crane the crane | Page 77 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Agree. I just heard he was going to be involved in this project...

There really isn’t a lot of competition for something like this and he is such a natural to be involved.

How thick is the Dome? I'd imagine it has to be 4-5 inches thick...

If the pee trough's ever go up for auction, I will 100% be attempting to buy one. Would be a perfect addition in the Cuse Cave at my house.
It is Teflon coated fiberglass. It is pretty strong but doesnt need to support any weight keep in mind. It is held up by air. And it has a compression ring around the top of the dome that keeps it from losing pressure and falling down.

It is Teflon coated fiberglass. It is pretty strong but doesnt need to support any weight keep in mind. It is held up by air. And it has a compression ring around the top of the dome that keeps it from losing pressure and falling down.

Yep. Teflon itself is very expensive. One square foot 2" thick is about 800.00 retail. The teflon is just to keep water out as it is non-wetting. The strength is in the mesh material.

I think this is worth repeating:

"The $118 million project is on schedule, expected to be finished by the time the SU Football team hosts Colgate inside the newly refurbished Dome on Saturday, September 19."

Yep. Teflon itself is very expensive. One square foot 2" thick is about 800.00 retail. The teflon is just to keep water out as it is non-wetting. The strength is in the mesh material.
I believe the teflon coating was to shed snow as it is "non-stick". As a result, the intent was less heat needed to melt and less concern of collapse. The fiber-mesh is the strength, as you say, and has been used since the 60's including the NJ pavillion at the '64 world's fair (an award winning design by the first firm I worked for out of college). I believe Birdair was the manufacturer. Tensioned Membrane Structures, Fabric Roofing - Birdair, Inc.
1580824627064.png

and in Munich at the '72 Olympic Stadium
1580824763090.png

Of note, please notice the poles that extend up to "hang" the roof from and the the pulled peaks at the point of attachment for the fabric to the tension wire. This is similar to BC Place and in our case these poles are replaced by our truss to act as these masts for hanging our new roof. What goes around comes around.

Walt is also being repositioned. Was the trailer moved over near Forestry Drive?

Looks like a fun day all around...that boom is mighty close to the dome...

I think this is worth repeating:

"The $118 million project is on schedule, expected to be finished by the time the SU Football team hosts Colgate inside the newly refurbished Dome on Saturday, September 19."
Well that's no fun! We need something to fret about!

It looks like there's some tweaking/prepping going on on the North side of the Dome.
Several smaller cranes (typically used to hold work crews) are involved.
Another day where Hendricks Cam would be useful.

Meanwhile, Walt is slowly moving the recently arrived girder. It looks like he may now be lowering it to the ground in the lot West of the Dome.

Large Girder placed by Walt then another truck with 3 or 4 spiral columns . Looks like things are heating up. That’s what it looks like from here.

Large Girder placed by Walt then another truck with 3 or 4 spiral columns . Looks like things are heating up. That’s what it looks like from here.
I am hoping these are the pieces that are needed to continue expansion of the top ring. They obviously have been in a holding pattern for a day or two now.

It's the "SPIRALS", a load of them - just what we need to keep this project moving ahead at the best pace they can go. Weather next week is pretty good so the work should proceed without that concern.

LUNCHTIME!!!! I was not able to see the large box girder in the yard. Walt has moved towards one end of the ties and they've extended the yard with more ties so Walt can move even farther towards Forestry Dr.

Right on time the crew finishes lunch and I would imagine they are going to off load the spirals to begin lifting them onto the next position and install. Hope its on the northwest side soon right above Walt. They are going, I think, to finish the run of the girders on the northeast side first.

Looks like Walt instead of the white crane is going to unload the spirals this time. First one coming up and off.
They're placing the spirals between the two fences parallel to Irving. Crew getting spiral number two ready to be lifted off. And it's off. It is amazing how stable these huge pieces of steel are kept by Walt and the white crane - moving inches at a time. Done. Another great job by Walt's operator. So now we have three spirals between the fences and two girders in the yard. Which ones they're going to use we'll have to see.

Last edited:
Watching the update video, the assistant project manager said the last box girder installed on the northwest corner is the last one Walt be installing.