the crane the crane | Page 75 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I know you are joking...but kinda tough to build a roof in two weeks for Louisville.

yeah, I’m not totally sure how they are honestly going to pull this off at this point...but I’m hopeful they have some tricks up their sleeves

If they could fully complete the new roof without having to touch the old roof, why the rush to kick everyone out of the Dome on March 1?

It would seem to me that there's a reason why they have to start demolishing the old roof in March.
I would think that the interior work - mechanical, electrical, HVAC - needs to start as soon as possible. They are basically rebuilding the top half of the interior from the walls on in.

but the plan from 2016 was never the plan when it really started back up in 2019. they said all along last yr old roof was coming off first.
That’s what I have been told as well, but the build old over new was much more highly publicized.

A lacrosse goal was just moved into the Dome.
And no, it did not involve a crane. ;)

Hopefully there's two of them.

Actually, it should be 4 (Men's and Women's use different goals).

They wouldn't be making those determinations of how much the structure can hold in the middle of the job. That would have been done and I am sure was long before they started this project. Hence the X-Bracing that was added to each corner to be able to bear the load basically of the whole roof being added.
I'm sure they were very thorough and detailed in their determination as to the strength of the existing structure and where to apply the huge weights being added. However, there's an element of uncertainty when dealing with a decades-old structure that had been subjected to vibration, heat, cold, moisture, etc. Their calculations may be right on but someone has to be watching for anomalies. I'm curious as to how they do that.

I'm also curious as to how the Truss framework mounts to the concrete rim of the dome. I know there's a bracket that the spiral tubes attach to, but how is the bracket attached to the concrete? Drilled with anchors? Hollowed at the top of the columns to set the brackets in a hollow that was filled with concrete? I'm not questioning the engineering, rather just curious as to details and especially work being done to monitor potential movements in the existing structure.

I'm sure they were very thorough and detailed in their determination as to the strength of the existing structure and where to apply the huge weights being added. However, there's an element of uncertainty when dealing with a decades-old structure that had been subjected to vibration, heat, cold, moisture, etc. Their calculations may be right on but someone has to be watching for anomalies. I'm curious as to how they do that.

I'm also curious as to how the Truss framework mounts to the concrete rim of the dome. I know there's a bracket that the spiral tubes attach to, but how is the bracket attached to the concrete? Drilled with anchors? Hollowed at the top of the columns to set the brackets in a hollow that was filled with concrete? I'm not questioning the engineering, rather just curious as to details and especially work being done to monitor potential movements in the existing structure.
I Thought I heard Sala say that they has 2 or more concrete pours on the top ring of the dome very early in the process. Also thought that they put a steel ring around thr top of the dome as well before the concrete pours.

I would think that the interior work - mechanical, electrical, HVAC - needs to start as soon as possible. They are basically rebuilding the top half of the interior from the walls on in.
I’m not sure how much you can do until they no longer need the air pressure to hold up the current roof. There’s only so much space inside the Dome.

I always took the truss construction to be completed by Jan 31st as "best case". I assumed from the "get go" that February was the slop month. It is obvious that March has to be included now. I'm having real doubts this gets completed by March 31st. (look at how little has been accomplished the last 2 weeks)

The good news if you rip the roof off that some work can be done from the inside now. The carpet will have to be totally removed How does the water get drained out though?
There are drains on all sides of the football field inside the dome, removing water from the field area is not a problem. The problems will come from water getting into the press box area and the private boxes among other issues. Water has been drained onto the field area several times when the dome has had to be deflated, however the pop out drains on the roof drain directly onto the field and only onto the field, this will not be the case if the roof is removed before installation of the new roof. Field turf is not subject to water damage so I doubt it will need to be removed for that reason, however I do not know about weight of machinery or possible damage by cables or other construction items.

they put the temp floor down when the do things like the monster trucks, i would think they would do the same thing for this. wasnt that stuff designed for tanks to drive on it?

so once the roof is off people will be going around with plastic tarps and duct tape? must also have to stop water from running down the tunnels but that shouldnt be too hard to control since its all concrete

so did the spiral tube get installed today? Does not look like much, if anything, happened.

yes. but they are also holding something up with the big crane so it may be in flux. they moved a bunch of weight and then attached to the girder and left it there. although its really hard to tell if its really attached or just sitting close but someone was up there when the cable came down. be nice if one more spiral went up soon

Im sure it's just me but there seems to be a lot of backtracking on the crown truss since yesterday. They are now doing it on both sections. Backtracking on any construction project probably means an issue has been detected or ongoing, no?

Im sure it's just me but there seems to be a lot of backtracking on the crown truss since yesterday. They are now doing it on both sections. Backtracking on any construction project probably means an issue has been detected or ongoing, no?
Maybe just getting things as close to spec as possible before attempting the center section...

They are trying to add that vertical spiral to the northeast grouping again right now. Let's hope the third time is the charm!
Walt disconnected his support and the crew is done for today - looks like the spiral they were trying to install was. I don't see a whole lot of steel product for the next move. Are there any box girders and spirals in Hendricks storage that you know of? And, do you know wether are they filling and finalizing the space in the northeast grouping before they move, I hope, to continue the northwest group?

Walt disconnected his support and the crew is done for today - looks like the spiral they were trying to install was. I don't see a whole lot of steel product for the next move. Are there any box girders and spirals in Hendricks storage that you know of? And, do you know wether are they filling and finalizing the space in the northeast grouping before they move, I hope, to continue the northwest group?

I think there are at least 3 box girders onsite somewhere. There's one in Walt's yard, there's one that Walt's buddy had aloft a few days ago, and there's one that arrived the same day as the one that Walt just put up. Don't know if they're the right ones to complete the gap, but there's enough on site. I kind of think they wanted to put another up today but the wind changed their mind after the spiral column was put up. Walt was hooked up to the weights for a while. What was big enough that he'd need the weights if not a box piece?

they put the temp floor down when the do things like the monster trucks, i would think they would do the same thing for this. wasnt that stuff designed for tanks to drive on it?

so once the roof is off people will be going around with plastic tarps and duct tape? must also have to stop water from running down the tunnels but that shouldnt be too hard to control since its all concrete
Not sure what you are talking about there with plastic and duct tape, but all electrical equipment will need protection, and there is a fairly large amount that could be damaged with roof off and exposure to the elements.

Not sure what you are talking about there with plastic and duct tape, but all electrical equipment will need protection, and there is a fairly large amount that could be damaged with roof off and exposure to the elements.
Sala said a few days ago that they were waterproofing the interior of the dome in preparation for the roof being removed.

I would think that they would be covering things inside if they need to be protected from the elements.

Sala said a few days ago that they were waterproofing the interior of the dome in preparation for the roof being removed.

I would think that they would be covering things inside if they need to be protected from the elements.
Kind of exactly my point, but I doubt if plastic and duct tape is going to get the job done. I could be wrong.

Kind of exactly my point, but I doubt if plastic and duct tape is going to get the job done. I could be wrong.
I think plastic and duct tape would be fantastic...I also think the poster was just joking...