the crane the crane | Page 78 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Looks like Walt instead of the white crane is going to unload the spirals this time. First one coming up and off.
The one just taken off the truck looks long. I bet it goes on the western wall.

the fun part is how they get those last 2 box girders to go together with such a smaller tolerance for movement. had they just gone in a circle that last fit would have been one time issue but this looks like its gonna be a bunch of times doing that process

1580841809063.png

Meanwhile the truck is being prepared to leave on it's trip back to Montreal.

I suppose I've seen this before on other trailers delivering product but just noticed while they were getting the truck ready to leave that they can shorten and extend the length of the trailer to accommodate long spirals, in our case. It looks like the deck of the trailer is mounted longitudinally on two large round extensions that may run the entire length of the trailer and they either crank it closed when the load is finally off loaded or it's run by battery power. Anyway pretty cool.

These guys are humming today - the white crane is beginning to load the counterweight try with the concrete
sections into Walt's tray so Walt can lift the spirals and/or the next box girders. I was incorrect - actually the white crane is removing some of the weight from the tray and positioning back where all the weights are stacked along the fence line. I don't know if not as much weight is required for whatever they are doing with Walt next.

Last edited:
Tomcat - the way Walt is positioned and the way they have extended Walt's working distance with the ties paralleling the west side of the Domes west wall it looks like the next work as you mentioned will be a continuation of work on the west side, DUH, fairly obvious I think but we'll see.

Tomcat - the way Walt is positioned and the way they have extended Walt's working distance with the ties paralleling the west side of the Domes west wall it looks like the next work as you mentioned will be a continuation of work on the west side, DUH, fairly obvious I think but we'll see.
My guess is that there is something wrong with the spirals and/or box girders needed to close the gap between the groupings. That or they just don't have the parts yet. I suspect at least one spiral is out of spec and needs to be replaced (they one they tried a couple of times to put in place).

Anyway, I am guessing they are going to skip that part of the crown truss for a while and move on, probably adding on to the crown truss on the western and eastern sides, away from the gap. The parts received today suggest this is the case.

Hopefully we see some progress tomorrow. I didn't see spirals or box girders delivered to the east side but maybe they are coming a little later. I could have missed them too. Work makes following this stuff quite inconvenient...

the concept of being done around march and taking the old roof off is odd timing considering the worst storms we get are almost always in march.. 20 inches of snow inside will be much hard to deal with than rain.. finishing in April and then taking it down then would seem like a better idea in the long run.

Thought it was interesting that the office area for the project was moved to the front of the Irving Ave work area to clear space for the box girder that arrived yesterday.

More railroad ties were laid in the corner of that work area closest to the box office, which allowed Walt to move there. I assume this is being done to make it easier to place box girders and spirals on the western wall.

Oh yeah, they are trying to put that wayward spiral up next to the northeast grouping again this morning. They started early on it. Let's hope the 3rd try (or is it the 4th?) is the charm.

Update:

It looks like they were able to get the wayward spiral in place and it must be lashed in with cables because the crane supporting it has been released.
The next step, I think, is to try and get that box girder in place. That would extend the northeast grouping and narrow the gap between the two groupings to 2 box girders. Maybe, just maybe, the gap between these groupings will be bridged in the next week.

It looks like Walt's counterpart to the east is getting attached to something heavy. Like a box girder.

Last edited:
They just carried some back stay steel into the yard using a small telehandler.

they are going to have to be so precise getting the last girder in place. wonder what the tolerance is. you cant be banging into things with that much weight..

I'm guessing they moved Walt to attach the western side backstays and ultimately begin work on that side. Looks like stuff is going to happen in front of a camera!

They just carried some back stay steel into the yard using a small telehandler.
Makes sense. They can't put any of the spirals or box girders up without a backstay in place. I believe there is only going to be one for the whole western wall (based on what was done on the northern wall). It will be cool to watch the whole thing go up. Our first chance to really see how they do the whole thing.

View attachment 176335
A lonely spiral support on the North side of the Dome is once again waiting for a girder or two...
From that angle, it looks like we only need 2 to fill the gap but I think we actually need three.

There is still a vertical spiral that needs to be installed to the left of this solo spiral. It will sit above the same column the right most diagonal spiral from the grouping on the left is sitting on...

At least that is what I think...

From that angle, it looks like we only need 2 to fill the gap but I think we actually need three.

There is still a vertical spiral that needs to be installed to the left of this solo spiral. It will sit above the same column the right most diagonal spiral from the grouping on the left is sitting on...

At least that is what I think...
It's the girder lottery - my money's on 2! Looks like they're working on a back stay today - maybe for the west wall. That would explain why Walt moved South.

What will happen first, the box girder installation or Jahad Carter's announcement?
The answer is Carter. The box girder appears to have contracted whatever ailment caused that spiral to go up and come down a couple of times. It got close to the top of the wall and then was brought back down.

I know the wind right now is around 10 mph and is expected to decrease shortly. Maybe this was driven by that.