the crane the crane | Page 82 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

It’s a 3+ day weekend for Walt & Co...

7603C8FE-37DD-473B-A682-FEA660D1821B.jpeg
352B50EA-14D6-4590-960C-3537DD4042D2.jpeg

Bahh! When I was young, we hoisted heavy girders with our bare hands in terrible blizzards. And we liked it!
Were there 35 MPH winds then? I am old school but even I have no problem with taking the day off today.

Were there 35 MPH winds then? I am old school but even I have no problem with taking the day off today.
I was expecting the cranes to be lowered to the ground to their "windy" positions...

maybe they got frozen in the upright positions.. didnt they say something like 40+ was the threshold for them to be lowered?

And then there was silence, not even the snow made any sound as the yard, Walt , and his cousin wait for a crew that won't be coming today. “It is a day like all days, filled with those events that alter and illuminate our times and You Were There, Craniacs”. :)

About 8 guys just walked out of the yard and closed the gate

been setting up the gates and all for the lax game at 4.

Poor substandard. Bees scooped them on this shot on Thursday. (See post#2007) Proof that they read this site to get their story ideas?

Thanks for posting this shot, CL. Bees' photo was taken in the snow while the crew was working on the Dome. This photo has a bright sky to brighten it up. (OK, the PS gets credit for a good photo)

3 days in a row with no progress. Not good.

On the positive side, I got a good look at the back stay on the western wall when I was at the dome for the basketball yesterday.. It looks done to me. I believe the spirals and box girders at the Irving Ave storage area are for the western wall. With the back stay done or almost done, it should almost be time for Walt to heed Horace Greeley and go west.

3 days in a row with no progress. Not good.

On the positive side, I got a good look at the back stay on the western wall when I was at the dome for the basketball yesterday.. It looks done to me. I believe the spirals and box girders at the Irving Ave storage area are for the western wall. With the back stay done or almost done, it should almost be time for Walt to heed Horace Greeley and go west.
Will Walt need to relocate for this or is he staying put for the entire process?

Will Walt need to relocate for this or is he staying put for the entire process?
He moved from the northeast corner of his pad to the southeast corner late last week. I think he weighs so much I believe he is limited to the pad he is on and can’t move further.

I think they delayed installed the back stay for the western wall to make it easier for Walt to help get the spirals and box girders up on the northern wall. Now that that part of the project is essentially done, he has to move over so he doesn’t hit the western back stay. I think he is now positioned to work on the western wall and eventually, part of the southern wall.

Interested in when the 3rd jumbo crane will arrive. I would guess Walt Junior, or whatever we are calling the 2nd one, should be able to handle expanding the crown truss over most or all of the eastern wall, but will be too far away to work on the southern wall and possibly the southeast corner of the dome as well.

Since it takes a while to assemble it, I would think it should be arriving very soon.

He moved from the northeast corner of his pad to the southeast corner late last week. I think he weighs so much I believe he is limited to the pad he is on and can’t move further.

I think they delayed installed the back stay for the western wall to make it easier for Walt to help get the spirals and box girders up on the northern wall. Now that that part of the project is essentially done, he has to move over so he doesn’t hit the western back stay. I think he is now positioned to work on the western wall and eventually, part of the southern wall.

Interested in when the 3rd jumbo crane will arrive. I would guess Walt Junior, or whatever we are calling the 2nd one, should be able to handle expanding the crown truss over most or all of the eastern wall, but will be too far away to work on the southern wall and possibly the southeast corner of the dome as well.

Since it takes a while to assemble it, I would think it should be arriving very soon.
I thought they were moving Skylar or whatever we're calling the other crane over there.

Wow... sutomcat thanks for the update. Without question this is the finest crane board I have ever read +1

I thought they were moving Skylar or whatever we're calling the other crane over there.
That was the original plan. But now that we are so far behind, they have decided to bring in another one to eliminate all that down time taking Skylar apart, moving the components to the other crane pad and assembling him again. At least that was the last I had heard their plans were...

That was the original plan. But now that we are so far behind, they have decided to bring in another one to eliminate all that down time taking Skylar apart, moving the components to the other crane pad and assembling him again. At least that was the last I had heard their plans were...
Thanks Tom! Three cranes seems like a crainiacs dream.