the crane the crane | Page 83 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

1. Would need more cameras
2. Whitey would be (even more) jealous

The camera lens on Link Hall could use some TLC...

Looks like both yellow cranes are in the their "parked" position. Mostly backstay work today

looks like the other crane is getting hooked up to something. the hook is down low. Maybe the last box girder.

looks like the other crane is getting hooked up to something. the hook is down low. Maybe the last box girder.

Sounds like a bad indy film. Perhaps if you got The Rock to sign on and have him repelling down the side of The Dome they could turn it into a big budget thriller.

It would be nice to finally see a side completed. Walt is getting antsy as he wants to show off for his groupees on the West side.

tenor.gif

Twitter suspended the Weather Stem account. That's crazy. Must have been all that suspicious activity.
The camera’s still working. A little more wind or evaporation and the lens may clear up... its already better than it was.

The camera’s still working. A little more wind or evaporation and the lens may clear up... its already better than it was.
It looks like Skyler has something heavy on the line. Could it be...the missing link?

It looks like Skyler has something heavy on the line. Could it be...the missing link?
Walt and his cousin are empty handed at the moment.

Whitey and an assistant appear to be working on back stays on the Western wall.

It would be interesting to know how the pressures on the walls change when the stays get removed. Right now they basically force the horizontal pressures down dont they? But once they are taken away wouldn't the tension ring hold itself together but also create that lateral pressure on the top of the walls wanting to push out or does the tension ring remove that and then its only the true downward force left?

this would be a great physics class to be taking.

Walt and his cousin are empty handed at the moment.

Whitey and an assistant appear to be working on back stays on the Western wall.
Yessiree bob! The Western Wall is getting all the attention today. The stay they welded together last week is up and that's good - they have more to go after this one - wonder if they'll install another girder or two after this stay is in place and if the girders in the yard are the ones that will be going up? It would seem logical since they are in the yard below. There are also two or three spirals in between the fences outside the yard parallel to Irving.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know how the pressures on the walls change when the stays get removed. Right now they basically force the horizontal pressures down dont they? But once they are taken away wouldn't the tension ring hold itself together but also create that lateral pressure on the top of the walls wanting to push out or does the tension ring remove that and then its only the true downward force left?

this would be a great physics class to be taking.
I would think when the last piece of the crown truss is put in place and bolted down, the pressure on the back stays will be fully or almost fully alleviated. But this won't happen until the crown truss is 100% complete. The force holding the crown truss up will then be distributed completely on the spiral supports, instead of partly on the spirals and partly on the back stays.

But I am no architect or physicist. I could be very wrong.

Noticed that whatever Skylar was attached to was released a while ago. It looks like the gap will remain open at least until tomorrow. Agree that the focus has switched to getting that west wall back stay in place and 100% secured. I assume similar activity is going on over on the east wall but I haven't been over there in months and have no idea if they have even begun to install the back stay over there. I don't see cranes peeking over the top of the roof but from the angle of the Lawrinson camera, you probably can't see them if they were there anyway.

There was a lot of activity on the east wall a couple of weeks ago. We couldn't see what was going on but I am going to assume it was the installation of the back stay over there.

If someone is in the area of the Dome and can check on the status of the east wall (is there a back stay up over there?), it would be awesome. I will try and check it out tomorrow before the NC State game but I come from the Standart Lot and it is way out of my way to get over there. For some reason I cannot fathom, my wife is not as enthused about tracking the status of this project as I am.

I know a lot of engineering goes into these things, but I'm curious if they waited to get to this point, and then precisely measured the open gap, and now are working on completing the fabrication of the missing box girder or if the girder is already on site? I'd imagine if it was on site they would have put it up already?

I think it is likely that the box girder they need is not there yet. Can't imagine that wouldn't put that thing in place, or at least try to, if they had in in their hands ready to go.

I am hoping to see a box girder arrive shortly, and get moved over to the storage area in front of the geology building.

Will that happen first or will they start working on the east or wall portions of the crown truss first?

I know a lot of engineering goes into these things, but I'm curious if they waited to get to this point, and then precisely measured the open gap, and now are working on completing the fabrication of the missing box girder or if the girder is already on site? I'd imagine if it was on site they would have put it up already?

Highly doubtful that they waited "to get to this point and then measure the open gap." Engineering "in the field" or "rigging" is typically not ideal, and when it takes place, it's usually because of a mistake, therefore, it's not optimal by design. This is an incredibly complex engineering project, and there's no doubt there are 'built in' tolerances which is standard in the process, however, deviation from those specific tolerances is problematic.

Looks like Whitey and the smaller telescoping crane have finished for the moment their work on the western back stay. Interested if they continue on the western installing columns or fill in that gap? I suppose it's whether the girder has been fabricated to the dimensions required - then we wait for the delivery.

Highly doubtful that they waited "to get to this point and then measure the open gap." Engineering "in the field" or "rigging" is typically not ideal, and when it takes place, it's usually because of a mistake, therefore, it's not optimal by design. This is an incredibly complex engineering project, and there's no doubt there are 'built in' tolerances which is standard in the process, however, deviation from those specific tolerances is problematic.
We have seen the cranes being used to repeatedly to pull the parts of the crown truss in place today in a specific direction. I think they know when they are off the mark from where they need to be and use these pulls to make adjustments as necessary.

It will be interesting to see if they use one crane to pull on one side of the crown truss while they are installing the missing piece to complete the north section. If they think fit is going to be a problem, I could see them doing this. Or pulling on one side of the truss after the missing piece is in place to get perfect alignment so they can get all the bolts in place to secure it completely.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes. Let's hope it happens soon.

I would think when the last piece of the crown truss is put in place and bolted down, the pressure on the back stays will be fully or almost fully alleviated. But this won't happen until the crown truss is 100% complete. The force holding the crown truss up will then be distributed completely on the spiral supports, instead of partly on the spirals and partly on the back stays.

But I am no architect or physicist. I could be very wrong.

Noticed that whatever Skylar was attached to was released a while ago. It looks like the gap will remain open at least until tomorrow. Agree that the focus has switched to getting that west wall back stay in place and 100% secured. I assume similar activity is going on over on the east wall but I haven't been over there in months and have no idea if they have even begun to install the back stay over there. I don't see cranes peeking over the top of the roof but from the angle of the Lawrinson camera, you probably can't see them if they were there anyway.

There was a lot of activity on the east wall a couple of weeks ago. We couldn't see what was going on but I am going to assume it was the installation of the back stay over there.

If someone is in the area of the Dome and can check on the status of the east wall (is there a back stay up over there?), it would be awesome. I will try and check it out tomorrow before the NC State game but I come from the Standart Lot and it is way out of my way to get over there. For some reason I cannot fathom, my wife is not as enthused about tracking the status of this project as I am.

Mentioned this previously, but East side stays have been in place for a few weeks.

Mind the gap.

Mentioned this previously, but East side stays have been in place for a few weeks.
Thank you Mr Bear. I missed your earlier report.