the crane the crane | Page 84 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

It would be interesting to know how the pressures on the walls change when the stays get removed. Right now they basically force the horizontal pressures down dont they? But once they are taken away wouldn't the tension ring hold itself together but also create that lateral pressure on the top of the walls wanting to push out or does the tension ring remove that and then its only the true downward force left?

this would be a great physics class to be taking.
I didn’t do well in structures class, but here’s my simple assumptions: the back stays would cause high moment forces on the middle part of the wall, where they are attached. Essentially imagine a giant pushing up on the back stay. The point of attachment will be dealing with an upward, but also outward force. The middle mounting point should allow the full wall to resolve the force. Pull or shear force where the attachment is would be a concern.
Once the full ring is in place and loaded (tension removed from the back stays) the top chord will face a compression force that will push down and out. That force will be distributed down the spirals and transferred to the bottom chord (the concrete and steel ring the constructed during or right after the “X” bracing in the corners). The force will be less than that on the back stays because the top chord is taking on or resolving some of that load. This is important because now the force is at the top of the wall instead of the middle. The bottom chord will further resolve the load in tension (like a rubber band around your ankles while you try to do a split with weigh on your shoulders. The band takes the load, helping you avoid a nasty groin tear). Half the wall is not used to resolve the load (not a calculation) so the wall cannot take the full load. That is why the truss is so tall and heavy. It has to take on the force and minimize the load on the walls that were not designed to resolve that load.

I didn’t do well in structures class, but here’s my simple assumptions: the back stays would cause high moment forces on the middle part of the wall, where they are attached. Essentially imagine a giant pushing up on the back stay. The point of attachment will be dealing with an upward, but also outward force. The middle mounting point should allow the full wall to resolve the force. Pull or shear force where the attachment is would be a concern.
Once the full ring is in place and loaded (tension removed from the back stays) the top chord will face a compression force that will push down and out. That force will be distributed down the spirals and transferred to the bottom chord (the concrete and steel ring the constructed during or right after the “X” bracing in the corners). The force will be less than that on the back stays because the top chord is taking on or resolving some of that load. This is important because now the force is at the top of the wall instead of the middle. The bottom chord will further resolve the load in tension (like a rubber band around your ankles while you try to do a split with weigh on your shoulders. The band takes the load, helping you avoid a nasty groin tear). Half the wall is not used to resolve the load (not a calculation) so the wall cannot take the full load. That is why the truss is so tall and heavy. It has to take on the force and minimize the load on the walls that were not designed to resolve that load.
Sure, that's one way of looking at it.

1581392947035.png

so what you’re saying is it could collapse and we could get a brand new building?

A very foggy morning on the Hill.
Work appears to be going on in the East side of the Dome, though it could just be relocating things by Walt’s cousin.

A very foggy morning on the Hill.
Work appears to be going on in the East side of the Dome, though it could just be relocating things by Walt’s cousin.
Skylar appears to be aligned in exactly the place I would expect if he was going to put a vertical spiral up to get expansion of the crown truss going on the east side of the northeast grouping. Since Skylar is on the east side today, it doesn't look likely the gap will be closed today.

I would think any move to start expanding the northwest grouping to the west would start by placing a spiral (a long one) in front of Walt. If and when that happens, we might be in business on that front.

It continues to look like they are waiting for the box girder needed to fill the gap (aka The Missing Link).

I will take progress of any kind at this point.

Skylar appears to be aligned in exactly the place I would expect if he was going to put a vertical spiral up to get expansion of the crown truss going on the east side of the northeast grouping. Since Skylar is on the east side today, it doesn't look likely the gap will be closed today.

I would think any move to start expanding the northwest grouping to the west would start by placing a spiral (a long one) in front of Walt. If and when that happens, we might be in business on that front.

It continues to look like they are waiting for the box girder needed to fill the gap (aka The Missing Link).

I will take progress of any kind at this point.

Skylar is like Beedle - “I’m a girl!!”

might the final piece for the northerly wall be going into place? the excitement it palpable.

Looks like they're prepping two spiral tubes with lifting collars in Walt's yard...

I'm not sure if any one has asked but is there any plan to spruce up the exterior walls of the dome?

nothing that the specialty store at Destiny cant help out with. a couple of those heads blow up real large and taped to the outside of the dome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom