the crane the crane | Page 85 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I didn’t do well in structures class, but here’s my simple assumptions: the back stays would cause high moment forces on the middle part of the wall, where they are attached. Essentially imagine a giant pushing up on the back stay. The point of attachment will be dealing with an upward, but also outward force. The middle mounting point should allow the full wall to resolve the force. Pull or shear force where the attachment is would be a concern.
Once the full ring is in place and loaded (tension removed from the back stays) the top chord will face a compression force that will push down and out. That force will be distributed down the spirals and transferred to the bottom chord (the concrete and steel ring the constructed during or right after the “X” bracing in the corners). The force will be less than that on the back stays because the top chord is taking on or resolving some of that load. This is important because now the force is at the top of the wall instead of the middle. The bottom chord will further resolve the load in tension (like a rubber band around your ankles while you try to do a split with weigh on your shoulders. The band takes the load, helping you avoid a nasty groin tear). Half the wall is not used to resolve the load (not a calculation) so the wall cannot take the full load. That is why the truss is so tall and heavy. It has to take on the force and minimize the load on the walls that were not designed to resolve that load.
@NJCuse97 - I missed both structures and physics class and was wondering if you could paraphrase your statement and clear up something here since I am not a structural engineer. I believe I understand some of your explanation but -What is a chord? What is a high moment force? (How much vertical force is the giant exerting on the backstay?;) ) What are you saying in the simplest terms so I may understand exactly what you are telling us. Sometimes the Crown Truss to me looks so high and heavy that it seems it will exert so much force that the walls cannot bear that force and they will collapse outwards or that the inward angle of the Truss is so much that it may collapse inward. Really, how does the Crown Truss stay at such an angle and also handle the tension of the new roofs cables? Math right? Is it because the entire structure including the cable is under so much tension /compressive force that it stays in place?:)

Last edited:
Summary of progress today:

A long spiral was taken out of the storage area by the fence right next to Irving Ave, placed in the open and outfitted with what looks like a collar. I think they might have attached holding cables to it as well. It looks ready, or really close to ready to go up top. They also did some staging work on the box girder closest to Irving Ave. I think they have attached the cables needed to bring it up top. They usually attach some scaffolding to the box girder before it goes up. Can't tell if they have done this or not. But it looks close as well.

I think it is likely both of those will be attached to the northwest grouping, extending it along the west wall, and I think this will probably happen tomorrow.

Don't know what is going on Skylar. She might be asked to insert the box girder that will finally join the first groupings. Bees posted a photo this morning that appears to feature a box girder on the ground not far from where the missing box girder needs to go. If that is the box girder needed, it might go up tomorrow.

I don't know why there would be any box girders along the north wall any longer unless is was the one that is missing. I would guess nothing of substance happened today because it is another game day and there is a rule that precludes lifting objects above the roof on game days.

Skylar spent a little time working along the east wall, which might mean we will start seeing the northeast grouping extended towards the east wall. The two sides have been in sync or close to it most of the way.

I don't believe any events are scheduled for tomorrow. It might be a big day.

Summary of progress today:

A long spiral was taken out of the storage area by the fence right next to Irving Ave, placed in the open and outfitted with what looks like a collar. I think they might have attached holding cables to it as well. It looks ready, or really close to ready to go up top. They also did some staging work on the box girder closest to Irving Ave. I think they have attached the cables needed to bring it up top. They usually attach some scaffolding to the box girder before it goes up. Can't tell if they have done this or not. But it looks close as well.

I think it is likely both of those will be attached to the northwest grouping, extending it along the west wall, and I think this will probably happen tomorrow.

Don't know what is going on Skylar. She might be asked to insert the box girder that will finally join the first groupings. Bees posted a photo this morning that appears to feature a box girder on the ground not far from where the missing box girder needs to go. If that is the box girder needed, it might go up tomorrow.

I don't know why there would be any box girders along the north wall any longer unless is was the one that is missing. I would guess nothing of substance happened today because it is another game day and there is a rule that precludes lifting objects above the roof on game days.

Skylar spent a little time working along the east wall, which might mean we will start seeing the northeast grouping extended towards the east wall. The two sides have been in sync or close to it most of the way.

I don't believe any events are scheduled for tomorrow. It might be a big day.
Based on what you wrote in the highlight above, Skylar should be permanently changed to a male name and be called He so this type of thing doesnt happen again...just a thought.

Based on what you wrote in the highlight above, Skylar should be permanently changed to a male name and be called He so this type of thing doesnt happen again...just a thought.
Maybe we should have named her Peggy instead

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM WEDNESDAY TO NOON EST THURSDAY... * WHAT...Snow expected with patchy freezing rain. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 5 inches with a light glaze of ice accumulation. * WHERE...Northern Oneida, Yates, Seneca, Southern Cayuga, Onondaga, Schuyler, Tompkins, Madison, Southern Oneida, Cortland, Chenango and Otsego counties. * WHEN...From 7 PM Wednesday to noon EST Thursday. * IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning commute. Doesn't look like Thursday will be a work day fellow Cranies. :mad: :(

Last edited:
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM WEDNESDAY TO NOON EST THURSDAY... * WHAT...Snow expected with patchy freezing rain. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 5 inches with a light glaze of ice accumulation. * WHERE...Northern Oneida, Yates, Seneca, Southern Cayuga, Onondaga, Schuyler, Tompkins, Madison, Southern Oneida, Cortland, Chenango and Otsego counties. * WHEN...From 7 PM Wednesday to noon EST Thursday. * IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning commute.
1581463941780.png

@NJCuse97 - I missed both structures and physics class and was wondering if you could paraphrase your statement and clear up something here since I am not a structural engineer. I believe I understand some of your explanation but -What is a chord? What is a high moment force? (How much vertical force is the giant exerting on the backstay?;) ) What are you saying in the simplest terms so I may understand exactly what you are telling us. Sometimes the Crown Truss to me looks so high and heavy that it seems it will exert so much force that the walls cannot bear that force and they will collapse outwards or that the inward angle of the Truss is so much that it may collapse inward. Really, how does the Crown Truss stay at such an angle and also handle the tension of the new roofs cables? Math right? Is it because the entire structure including the cable is under so much tension /compressive force that it stays in place?:)
A truss is typically made up of a top and bottom chord and webbing. The top chord in our case is what we are calling the girders. The “missing link” is a piece of the top chord. The “spirals” are the webbing. In our truss, the top chord acts as a compression ring. This is a crucial element to many domes (meant as a structural term, not necessarily an architectural one). The famous hole in the Roman Pantheon is enabled by a compression ring. All of the force on that ring is squeezing in. The ring itself is essentially pushing out to prevent the ring from falling in. Our ring would have been designed to take on the additional load that will be put on it by hanging the roof (which will again, pull down and in).
In this way, to your question, the truss is designed to fall inward, hence the tilt in. When they are all connected, the “girders” will act like one piece, the chord and compression ring all in one. The webbing or “spirals” take some of the weight and force from the top chord and send it to the bottom chord, the concrete ring that they are attached to the sits at the top of the wall. The bottom chord will be in tension. Think of it like holding two ropes and someone at either end pulling away from you. That pull effort is tension. For a truss to work, the loads and the forces they create must be resolved, or essentially neutralized. For all the push force, or compression that the top chord is dealing with, the bottom chord and the webbing must resolve with equal and opposite force, in this case tension. The weight of the whole truss itself is likely carried or resolved by the wall itself, or more specifically the columns in the wall (where the back stays are attached). Hope this helps some.

Looks like half a soccer goal.

maybe its a girder spreader?

could really use a zoom feature for times like this

Last edited:
If you are using your phone, have double tapped towards the left side of the screen and am able to zoom the Lawrinson camera.

Also it looks like some of the platforms for the third crane have arrived .
Yes, a couple of truckloads of railroad ties arrived and were eventually sent up the southeast corner area, where they will no doubt be laid down on the new pad over there. I think that is the last prereq before the 3rd crane can be bought in and assembled. That should be happening soon.

As for the mysterious fixture that was placed over the gap between the groupings, I am wondering if it is a measuring device that allows for precise measuring of the distances between the two sets of box girders?

I can't imagine it will be left there when the box girder is installed. It is in the way. Maybe it is capable of narrowing or widening the space between the girders. But it looks like a fixture. I don't see hardware to do manipulations like that. But it is far away and maybe it can do that kind of thing.

Yes, a couple of truckloads of railroad ties arrived and were eventually sent up the southeast corner area, where they will no doubt be laid down on the new pad over there. I think that is the last prereq before the 3rd crane can be bought in and assembled. That should be happening soon.

As for the mysterious fixture that was placed over the gap between the groupings, I am wondering if it is a measuring device that allows for precise measuring of the distances between the two sets of box girders?

I can't imagine it will be left there when the box girder is installed. It is in the way. Maybe it is capable of narrowing or widening the space between the girders. But it looks like a fixture. I don't see hardware to do manipulations like that. But it is far away and maybe it can do that kind of thing.
Cradle? (to hold the last piece so they can weld in the two ends)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom