the crane the crane | Page 98 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

The upper part of the boom looks like it has been taken off. You can get a pretty good perspective from the Link Hall camera.

If they don't do a top-notch LED package on the truss when this is completed then someone needs to be fired. I don't want to hear excuses that it cannot be done because it wasn't accounted for in the engineering studies.
It will come...maybe not Phase 1. We can hope though

The upper part of the boom looks like it has been taken off. You can get a pretty good perspective from the Link Hall camera.

F01D09B3-1F7C-4AD5-82AE-66B4903BD3CE.jpeg

And then there was only one (crane)...

Many would expect Walt’s cousin to be moved to the South East corner of the Dome.

Last edited:
The design of a traveling object around the entire truss would be a project in itself. At first I thought of it as being an integral part of the truss but due to the steel cables the new roof will be suspended from and looking at it from an end view you have a square - the girder, only thing about it is the hooks the hold the cables are raised. I first thought that the object could be shaped like an upside down U and fit over the top and each side of the girder but because of all the cable connections I do not think that would be possible. I believe the lighting system is going to be exceptional with up-lighting, (dreaming here), casting light from the ring onto the spirals and bottom of the girders. It will be quite striking all done up in orange. Maybe those lights could move?
Back to the object that travels the entire Crown Truss, I am a designer not an engineer and I think the piece whatever it is created to be would have to travel on the outside of the girders on some kind of rail system or cable system. It would also have to be internally lighted perhaps even solar powered to retain energy instead of a large battery system but perhaps there is a way to get the power to make it lighted and travel with a cable system around the entire ring.
What will the design of the object be? A huge S? A simple lit orange square that is just something that goes around a round shape a football shape all colored in orange whatever this thing might be? It would certainly add to the entire new roof design IMHO.

The reports I have seen say 5 to 10 feet higher, on average. The truss is going to be dramatically higher but not the roof.
Which is why I think there’s a restriction to how vertical the new video board can realistically be. If there was 30-40’ more height to play with it would solve a lot of problems.

What amazed me in looking back through the day is how they attached the box girder today. None of the lifts seem to reach so they had a scaffold on the girder and then people actually worked from that platform. Unreal.

we dont know because the current speakers are being hung pretty far down from the current roof if the new roof is higher but also hung higher it might net out close to the same?

What amazed me in looking back through the day is how they attached the box girder today. None of the lifts seem to reach so they had a scaffold on the girder and then people actually worked from that platform. Unreal.
Yes, the normal orange cranes with baskets for people that they use to make the connections are not tall enough on the downhill (west) side of the Dome. That has to make it harder to make progress on the west side, and this is why some craniacs think the east end of the crown truss will get completed faster than the west.

But Skylar needs to be moved from her pad northeast of the dome to her new pad southeast of the dome. That is probably going to take a couple of weeks. In the meantime, Walt should be able to catch up with Skylar (he actually did yesterday) and pass her by a fairly large margin.

It will be interesting to see where the final box girder slot ends up. Right now, I would speculate it will be somewhere east of Gate A. The key is how long it takes to break down Skylar, move all the pieces and put them back together again. If I remember right, it took 59 tractor trailer loads to bring Walt to Syracuse. Skylar is only a little smaller than Walt. The crew has to do the break down/transport/rebuild thing in the middle of winter. It isn’t going to be easy.

Is the reason for taking it apart the weight from A to B or that its too wide to get down between the buildings?

Just wondering if there is some way to move it in chunks so that the move doesnt require complete unbuild and rebuild?

Is the reason for taking it apart the weight from A to B or that its too wide to get down between the buildings?

Just wondering if there is some way to move it in chunks so that the move doesnt require complete unbuild and rebuild?
I believe the problem is the weight. The crane weighs about 1,110 tons. A special, uber strong, really thick concrete pad is required to hold its weight.

It is really unfortunate because it can't be more than 200 yards from where it is now to where it needs to go.

Just to give some perspective on how heavy these cranes are, I did a little checking on weight limits on highways in the US. It looks like the limit varies a bit from state to state but is about 80,000 pounds (or 40 tons). So the crane is about 27.5 times too heavy to ride on a highway. If the crane is broken up and transported on 59 hauls on tractor trailers, each load will weight around 18.6 tons. That alone has to be scary to drive down the alley from the northeast corner of the dome to the southeast corner. I know there was a tunnel connecting Archbold Gym to Archbold Stadium. There are lots of other things underground at risk; power, communication cables, natural gas pipes, the steam pipes for the university heating, maybe some communication cables, etc.

It looks like the spiral that was moved near Walt has been fitted with a collar and is close to being ready to be lifted. Maybe that will happen today? As far as I can tell, there are no events scheduled in the dome until Friday. The weather is supposed to be bad, with high winds Thursday and Friday, and we have games Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so this might be the last opportunity to make progress until Monday, the day the dome closes until the Colgate game.

I am hoping we might be able to get a spiral up today, and maybe even a box girder.

Last edited:
A spiral is going up!

Actually, it looks to be a back stay support. :(
Even so, if it’s needed then it’s progress. ;)
Yes, one of the springy, stronger supports that appears to be a hybrid of a steel bar and a steel cable. I think they use one of those at both ends of the diagonal walls to further reinforce support in these areas.

I see a couple of guys hovering near the spiral in the open. Hope this means that piece is next.

Forecast Weather actually looks pretty decent for early March.

Hopefully, Walt can make some progress while Skylar is moving.

I pretty much don't have any idea what you guys are talking about.

As I alluded to back on page 84 (post 2081), I'm lost and this thread needs a glossary (preferably one with pictures and diagrams).

Forecast Weather actually looks pretty decent for early March.

Hopefully, Walt can make some progress while Skylar is moving.
Yeah we good, up north my friend, not so much:

For being in Upstate NY, this winter has been optimal for getting outdoor construction work completed.
Next week should be telling. With the dome closed down and decent weather we will see if the number of girders picks up, if not they wont be done till Memorial Day . (Truss)