the crane the crane | Page 99 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

As I alluded to back on page 84 (post 2081), I'm lost and this thread needs a glossary (preferably one with pictures and diagrams).
How about a weekly interview with an anonymous masked worker?

As I alluded to back on page 84 (post 2081), I'm lost and this thread needs a glossary (preferably one with pictures and diagrams).
What's a "glossary"?

Don't know what the hold up is but Walt is as far as he can go on the ties. The crew supervisor is going to have to make a decision when to knuckle Walt as tomorrow and Fri. will be very windy with 1-3" of snow possible both days. Monday looks good with a high of 44 with a little rain - it will be as high as 52 next Tues. and 50 next Wed. so work progress should be good as far as weather is concerned.

Looks like they may be putting Walt to sleep in anticipation of the winds tomorrow/Friday

Walt has done a 180 and is now facing Crouse and has lifting straps attached to his hoist wires which usually means he's about to lift something. Here we go with another spiral - good we're going to get something accomplished before the wind arrives and they have to knuckle Walt

Although Walt's boom is in the way - looks like that spiral is going to be attached to the bottom of the girder put up yesterday and the bottom to the ring. NICE! :)

Whitey's op just climbed back in his cab and is lowering the hoist (hook) so maybe we get more today?

I think they are going to begin loading counterweights into Walt's tray to get it ready for the next girder whenever weather allows them - maybe today?
Can they move the crane for better view.
Give 'em a call see what they'll do for you

Forecast Weather actually looks pretty decent for early March.

Hopefully, Walt can make some progress while Skylar is moving.
The other crane was named Skylar? Thats absolutely hilarious. Is the little white on Walt Jr or Saul?

Yep! Counterweights into the tray for the next girder! Great, maybe we see another girder go up - I don't think today, BUT! I was wrong they were loading the tray full due to the knuckle down process.

Last edited:
To watch the crew - usually six work in tandem in the yard with the op in Walt and the crew on the roof is really great - not wasting any time the white crane is getting the counterweights into the tray quickly. We are watching our new Dome Crown truss and roof go up in front of our eyes - history, and we are there.

Last edited:
Looks like they are loading the tray with a max amount of weight which means the next girder will be a big one - wonder if its the piece sitting in the driveway or the one behind the white crane?

Last edited:
Walt just turned 90 and now we can see the spiral that went up supporting the girder -cool

Watchingthe white crane load counterweights onto Walt's tray since they began. It seems they get faster as the job progresses. The straps hanging fromthe hoist block must have quick latch attachments. From the moment the straps are up against a counterweight bundle there is one of the crew that positions the attaching end to the concrete counterweights -I just timed them and it took only one minute to attach and for the crane to again swing theweight toward the tray -and as fast as 15 seconds depending on the size of the bundle.

Last edited: