the crane the crane | Page 96 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

It's 1:33 and a crew has emerged from the construction trailer. Maybe they will do something on the west side like put up another spiral or a girder - something. The white crane is actually moving - the op did a 180 with the boom and Walt is slowly lifting something. It looks black and white from here and is stopped just at the outside point and exact level of one of the backstays. Suddenly lots of crew walking around the main yard. Looks like something is going to get accomplished?. Now Walt 's op has raised its black and white load higher so do not know if it has anything to do with the back stay or not/

Last edited:
Walt's op is now raising its load and has swung it to the east over the top of this end of the crown truss. It looks like Walt's cousin at the NE end has the same black and white load. Walt has its load hanging at the yard end of the truss the cousin is about in the middle of the truss. Not knowing anything about construction maybe they aren't carrying anything at the and of their hoist lines but that they are a block and hook at each end. Ummm.. now Walt has swung back out over this end of the truss and its load is obscured by the boom

Last edited:
The small white crane's boom is almost fully extentended hoist lind lowered with straps dangling over by the counterweights and they are starting to load Walt's counterweight tray

I'm so torn. I want good weather for the construction but I can't bear Syracuse losing the Golden Snowball award. We are 10" behind Rochester. :cool:
Spoken from a guy in GA? Amirite?

Gotta let the 315 folks chime in about giving Rahchester a crumb this year.

Last edited:
Have to think that Walt's cousin is reaching it's limit. It's stretched very far out right now installing a diagonal support spiral. I don't think they can lift a girder with it's arm stretched that far out.
Skylar is Walt's cousin? I thought she was his daughter? I heard much debate who her Mom is though--I heard a well built but drama filled German hottie.

I think the only problem with trying to extend that far is the dome itself being in the way. We need the third crane and then I believe things will proceed as fast as materials will allow.
Um yeah, some talk among the trades there will be a Plan B.

Looks like the small white crane has a temporary hold with one of the counterweight bundles for the tray - been sitting there for awhile. Here we go. Seems to be a problem with the bundle or the crane? Now we're moving.

Last edited:
Looks like the small white crane has a temporary hold with one of the counterweight bundles for the tray - been sitting there for awhile. Here we go.
Looks to me as though the other SWC (small white crane) is starting to position counter weights for the next big lift for Herr Walt. Based on the number in the first batch and the location, it looks like a box girder is going up next.

can Walt even move far enough away to continue to work near the dome once more stuff goes up on that west side? It barely looks like room as it is to get one more girder in position.

Skylar is Walt's cousin? I thought she was his daughter? I heard much debate who her Mom is though--I heard a well built but drama filled German hottie.
That's a bit of a reach.

Seems like due to the position of Walt, the tray, the counterweights and the white crane it is taking much longer to load the tray. But if it's getting loaded that means spirals and in particular girders are going up.

done for the day.
Seemed to have to wrap things up early today due to the women's LAX game... Once the dome shuts down March 1st, as long as there is enough material on site, I could see more than 1 shift running to get the crown truss completed.

Seemed to have to wrap things up early today due to the women's LAX game... Once the dome shuts down March 1st, as long as there is enough material on site, I could see more than 1 shift running to get the crown truss completed.
And better yet... Syracuse is gaining 3 mins of daylight everyday right now. So another hour or so by mid March

And better yet... Syracuse is gaining 3 mins of daylight everyday right now. So another hour or so by mid March
It will be interesting to see what they do regarding removal of the old roof. Will they have two cranes working on completing the crown truss while a bunch of others work from inside the dome, removing the old roof from within?

I assume that is the plan. Should really see a step up in activity once that last game is played in the dome on March 1st.

It will be interesting to see what they do regarding removal of the old roof. Will they have two cranes working on completing the crown truss while a bunch of others work from inside the dome, removing the old roof from within?

I assume that is the plan. Should really see a step up in activity once that last game is played in the dome on March 1st.
My guess too but I bet they don't "lead turn" it too much due to risk mitigation. You need to be sure your truss is pretty close to completion.

Plus the time change first week March. It’ll be light to 7pm very soon.

2731D231-24A5-4BD4-BDB2-DC016E3BD426.jpeg