the crane the crane | Page 97 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Plus the time change first week March. It’ll be light to 7pm very soon.

I hate to be this guy, but the time change doesn't add any extra daylight to the day. There have been some days where they have started working pre-sunrise, right?

well in theory it does because working until then end of daylight on somethings doesnt mean they wont still be starting earlier on other things.

I hate to be this guy, but the time change doesn't add any extra daylight to the day. There have been some days where they have started working pre-sunrise, right?
There have. And they have worked after sunset some days too. The night they bridged the gap between the two crown truss groupings is one example of that.

Wow, quite the early start today. Walt is ready to do a big lift at 5am. Box girder getting ready to go up!

Rain tomorrow. Might as well get going earlier. Potential for snow Thursday/Friday (hopefully stays north)

Rain tomorrow. Might as well get going earlier. Potential for snow Thursday/Friday (hopefully stays north)
They are starting early. Walt has a box girder on the hook. Hoping we see a spiral brought up by Skylar soon. Would be great to have a rare 2 box girder day. Pretty sure that has never happened.

Note the birds in the foreground here. A big flock of them flew by when I was taking the screen shot.

022520.png

They are starting early. Walt has a box girder on the hook. Hoping we see a spiral brought up by Skylar soon. Would be great to have a rare 2 box girder day. Pretty sure that has never happened.

Note the birds in the foreground here. A big flock of them flew by when I was taking the screen shot.

View attachment 177126
Update:

The west side box girder is in the air but it looks like workers are still making last minute tweaks to the set up before it is released. I think the cables need to be just so, and they might be attaching scaffolding.

Meanwhile, it appears Skylar has something on the hook. Maybe a big spiral? That would set the stage for the 2 box girder day we have been waiting for.

Update II:

Skylar is lifting a back stay. It appears to be heading to the southeast corner. Those things are big.

Last edited:
The second crane appears to be back working on the piece that connected the 2 halves last week.

Seems to be a challenge with the girder that we had assumed was delivered out of sequence and has been sitting parallel to Irving St. for quite some time. Crews have been working on its underside for much of the morning. Hopefully, it isn't too serious of a problem. Not sure if that was being prepped for installation and they discovered a problem or maybe it's been a known problem and they are addressing it now.

Seems to be a challenge with the girder that we had assumed was delivered out of sequence and has been sitting parallel to Irving St. for quite some time. Crews have been working on its underside for much of the morning. Hopefully, it isn't too serious of a problem. Not sure if that was being prepped for installation and they discovered a problem or maybe it's been a known problem and they are addressing it now.
It is really weird with both cranes loaded up and neither payload moving for hours.
Finally Skylar has taken the placement fixture off. I wonder if it will be used again when the last box girder is put in place to complete the crown truss?

On the west side, I assume they are attaching a scaffold to the box girder whilst it is in the air. Or at least trying to...

It is really weird with both cranes loaded up and neither payload moving for hours.
Finally Skylar has taken the placement fixture off. I wonder if it will be used again when the last box girder is put in place to complete the crown truss?

On the west side, I assume they are attaching a scaffold to the box girder whilst it is in the air. Or at least trying to...
Once they moved it, that's exactly what it looks like they were attaching.

Not going to lie, this is starting to look a lot better than I thought it was going to look. They should put a huge 44 painted on the top of the dome roof or how ever they do it. Great blimp/Ariel shot. Also they should add orange LED lights on the outer edges of the dome roof, shining down on the sides of the dome. And maybe throw in a couple murals painted on the sides of the dome. Maybe a mural of Boeheim, Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Derrick Coleman, Gait/Powell Bro’s, etc...just to add some flavor.

Not going to lie, this is starting to look a lot better than I thought it was going to look. They should put a huge 44 painted on the top of the dome roof or how ever they do it. Great blimp/Ariel shot. Also they should add orange LED lights on the outer edges of the dome roof, shining down on the sides of the dome. And maybe throw in a couple murals painted on the sides of the dome. Maybe a mural of Boeheim, Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Derrick Coleman, Gait/Powell Bro’s, etc...just to add some flavor.
I want Santa Claus and the reindeer riding around on the (truss) rails during Christmas time.

so they removed that strange connecting bracket.. wonder if its a one time use thing

Starting to feel like Haynor Hoyt is going to dominate March Madness.

Just keep the Nor'easters away...

so they removed that strange connecting bracket.. wonder if its a one time use thing
I would guess they will use it one more time, to help guide the final box girder in place. We have 15 out of 36 done now. When will that be? Mid to late April? I hope this doesn't run into May.

puzzled by so much down time.. I wonder why work on the counterweight stuff on the south end wasnt just done while not putting up girders? maybe the timeline didnt require it or they are waiting on parts but there has to 1-2 weeks of work just doing that ?

Had a looong meeting this A.M. just tuning in and WOW they literally turned the corner on the West Wall! This is really looking great the boys are into it! Reading the previous posts re the lighting - that has been discussed many times and it is usually included in the contract. Lighting the spirals and girders, etc. I don't know about Santa but something that travels around the entire truss would be very cool.

Looking at the dome cam I don't how the new roof can be substantially any higher based on the height of the truss on the northern wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom