the crane the crane | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Pete Sala said they did a big concrete pour yesterday and another is scheduled for today. A few minutes ago, I saw the Big Unit drop off a huge container of what looked like concrete ready to pour to the diagonal side that faces the camera.

So in one the recent PCs they talked about the steel trusses going up in nov.. So my question is i thought we were doing this so avoid construction during the season.. but if Steel is going up in November then they sound like the are working around fball-bball schedules and into some part of the winter?

Pete Sala said they did a big concrete pour yesterday and another is scheduled for today. A few minutes ago, I saw the Big Unit drop off a huge container of what looked like concrete ready to pour to the diagonal side that faces the camera.
Randy Johnson? America's sexiest man 1995?

So in one the recent PCs they talked about the steel trusses going up in nov.. So my question is i thought we were doing this so avoid construction during the season.. but if Steel is going up in November then they sound like the are working around fball-bball schedules and into some part of the winter?
They're not doing construction on the actual roof but the plan was always to put the steel frame on during the football/basketball season so they can move as fast as possible once basketball ends.

If you watched yesterday morning they had at least two cement trucks when I was watching and a pumper up to the roof.

They're not doing construction on the actual roof but the plan was always to put the steel frame on during the football/basketball season so they can move as fast as possible once basketball ends.
The basketball team will an extra incentive to avoid the NIT and the additional home games in the middle of March.

That Yellow Jacket's size is insane. I can't believe it extends from the base of the Dome all the way beyond the Dome's roof. ;)
Wait until he stings the Dome Bubble...he is in for a surprise

1568309601169.png

There are now two small cranes on the ESF side of the dome and it looks like they only need to install two more sections for the outer ring to be complete. Also it appears additional steel (maroon color) has been delivered near the base of the big crane on the bottom left. Hopefully they paint it white after installation.
AAFC51CB-6A88-4859-894B-161E84676F83.jpeg

Last edited:
There are now two small cranes on the ESF side of the dome and it looks like they only need to install two more sections for the outer ring to be complete. Also it appears additional steel (maroon color) has been delivered near the base of the big crane on the bottom left. Hopefully they paint it white after installation.
View attachment 170137

Interesting relative to the (maroon color) steel. I wonder why that isn't painted (baked in, etc.) pre arrival/installation as the base ring? I can't imagine that it won't be painted at some point afterwards, but then that type of application would appear to need more of a continuous maintenance up keep, etc. relative to the future aesthetics of same. I guess, being in the northeast vs. here in the south, the UVA rays from the sun, etc. aren't anywhere as profound, therefore, not subject to as much fading, etc.

Interesting relative to the (maroon color) steel. I wonder why that isn't painted (baked in, etc.) pre arrival/installation as the base ring? I can't imagine that it won't be painted at some point afterwards, but then that type of application would appear to need more of a continuous maintenance up keep, etc. relative to the future aesthetics of same. I guess, being in the northeast vs. here in the south, the UVA rays from the sun, etc. aren't anywhere as profound, therefore, not subject to as much fading, etc.
That is just the structural steel foundation for the roller coaster. They will use high grade steel for the elevator to the top for the rides.

Maybe that steel will be welded? You don't want to weld painted surfaces for obvious reasons.

pretty eerie watching the crane extend right over the dome right now
Yup. The smaller white crane was able to get most of the steel for the tension ring in place on the south (ESF) side of the Dome but it looks like the 3 pieces down the hill, furthest west are too high for it to handle.

Harold has to do it. The operator is bringing Harold really close to the top of the western wall of the Dome to do this. I am glad I am not operating it. No idea what would happen if they were to damage that wall. Don't want to find out either.

Yup. The smaller white crane was able to get most of the steel for the tension ring in place on the south (ESF) side of the Dome but it looks like the 3 pieces down the hill, furthest west are too high for it to handle.

Harold has to do it. The operator is bringing Harold really close to the top of the western wall of the Dome to do this. I am glad I am not operating it. No idea what would happen if they were to damage that wall. Don't want to find out either.

We will have the Syracuse Horseshoe and our air circulation problems will be fixed permanently.