the crane the crane | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I have wondered who the steel supplier for this project is and I found them on the Hayner Hoyt site.

I'll try and summarize: Hayner's steel fabricator, ADF is based in Montreal. The large pieces, once ready, are shipped by specialized trailer and unloaded on site, ( by Walt). After unloading, the crew, Midwest Steel, goes about attaching the components. The large cylinders are called spiral steel columns and the rails are called box girders. All of the pieces are first assembled and tested for exact fit in Montreal before shipment.

Last edited:
Yes, It's the curse of being married to someone who was in commercial construction. :rolleyes:
The center part is going to be PTFE but the outer perimeter of the roof, which covers most of the square footage, is going to be a hard surface, isn't it? Anyone know what it will be made of? I thought I read it was going to have a steel backbone...

The center part is going to be PTFE but the outer perimeter of the roof, which covers most of the square footage, is going to be a hard surface, isn't it? Anyone know what it will be made of? I thought I read it was going to have a steel backbone...

Instead of ETFE, Sala said the material used to build the new roof of the Carrier Dome will be similar to the current version.

I saw a long skinny, dark colored piece of steel get moved from the Heroy storage area to the holding area between the Barner Center and the dome a few minutes ago. It looked like the one I saw get stored in the Irving Ave storage area last week.

I bet Bees has a picture of it soon. Very interested to see what those long steel pieces will be used for.

tomorrow

Instead of ETFE, Sala said the material used to build the new roof of the Carrier Dome will be similar to the current version.
I think the outer perimeter will be completely different than the PTFE interior part, will be hard and will involve steel. It should only compromise about 1/3 of the surface area though...

Sala said the new roof will utilize a "cable truss" system that includes a hard material on the outside-third and a translucent material over the inner two-thirds of the building. Not having to worry about air locks will give Syracuse the option of holding more events like concerts. The current set-up makes it very difficult for equipment to be moved efficiently in and out of the building.

I think the outer perimeter will be completely different than the PTFE interior part, will be hard and will involve steel. It should only compromise about 1/3 of the surface area though...

Sala said the new roof will utilize a "cable truss" system that includes a hard material on the outside-third and a translucent material over the inner two-thirds of the building. Not having to worry about air locks will give Syracuse the option of holding more events like concerts. The current set-up makes it very difficult for equipment to be moved efficiently in and out of the building.
The one article was from January and the other April. I know there were some changes because of an issue "marrying" the two different materials. At least that is what I recall being told...somewhere.

Not having to worry about air pressure also allows the facility to be "opened up". :)

Not having to worry about air pressure also allows the facility to be "opened up". :)
I was actually just thinking today... would the pads they have fabricated the for those huge cranes be a strong enough foundation to add an addition on to the dome at some point in the future?

I was actually just thinking today... would the pads they have fabricated the for those huge cranes be a strong enough foundation to add an addition on to the dome at some point in the future?
That is a very interesting idea. If they aren't strong enough as is, might they be enlarged and strengthened to the point that they could be so utilized?

That is a very interesting idea. If they aren't strong enough as is, might they be enlarged and strengthened to the point that they could be so utilized?
Walt the Crane weighs over 2 million pounds. Skylar is only a little smaller. They might need to expand the pads some if the building is someday added on to, but I find it hard to believe these pads aren't to be strong enough to support an expansion.

Walt the Crane weighs over 2 million pounds. Skylar is only a little smaller. They might need to expand the pads some if the building is someday added on to, but I find it hard to believe these pads aren't to be strong enough to support an expansion.
Blow out the front wall where Walt is and have roll up doors that open out onto a fenced in patio type area with beer, food, and room to mingle. That could also help with congestion in lower concourses.

Box girders, spiral pipes, and back stays...we have official names for the pieces!
Speaking of box girders, it looks like the crew is getting the rigging in place to put another one in place this morning. I assume it will be used to connect the box girders already in place in the northwest corner to the spiral pipe standing by itself over there.

Where the hell is the rest of the steel for the remaining back stays?

Speaking of box girders, it looks like the crew is getting the rigging in place to put another one in place this morning. I assume it will be used to connect the box girders already in place in the northwest corner to the spiral pipe standing by itself over there.

They must have the steel for the back stays somewhere on site. I can’t believe that’ll let that pace the project. they better start getting some up or it’ll become a problem

Box girders, spiral pipes, and back stays...we have official names for the pieces!

Baby got back stays!;)

Why do all 3 of these terms seem like something I’d be hesitant to look up on urban dictionary?:p

The one article was from January and the other April. I know there were some changes because of an issue "marrying" the two different materials. At least that is what I recall being told...somewhere.
I think NJCuse97 talked about that. Problems with ice and leaking where the two surfaces meet, if I remember correctly. Kind of scary if they completely changed the design of the roof so late in the process but with this project, nothing would shock me.

1576066058857.jpeg

I am very interested to see what the new roof will look like from the inside of the facility. The only picture I have seen (see above) was exceptionally poorly done. Looked like a toddler using photoshop for the first time and the PFTE part of the roof (it might have been EFTE still back then) was so translucent that you could see a blue sky through it. Sala has since at least intimated this won't be the case.

I hope some updated, more professional drawings of what the project will look like from the inside will be released soon. Some more pictures of how it will look from the outside would be appreciated too. You can see there are two distinct surfaces in the roof surface and it looks like the cables from the crown truss are going to attach to where the hard surface part of the roof ends and the PTFE surface begins.

I think the crown truss and a partial hard surface roof go hand in hand. But I could be wrong...
maxresdefault.jpg

They must have the steel for the back stays somewhere on site. I can’t believe that’ll let that pace the project. they better start getting some up or it’ll become a problem
I saw some back stay steel in the storage area near Heroy about two weeks ago. Didn't see any in the Irving Ave storage area near Walt last time I was there or from the camera view and I didn't see any in the Hendricks Field storage area when I walked past it for the last home basketball game.

The article BillSU linked mentioned that the Montreal company supplying the steel is sending it down gradually, as they qual it, to ensure there are no fit issues on site. I wonder if they are supplying the back stay temp steel too and rationing it out as it is needed?

Just as a FYI, there are 3 back stays for each of the 4 diagonal corners for the building. Based on what I have seen on the columns for the building, there will be one additional back stay in the middle of each of the 4 sides of the building. That gives us a total of 16 back stays. Last I knew, 7 of them are currently in place (basically the north side of the building).

I think it's on Hendricks Field. A lot of stuff is staged over there.

May be stupid question but I’ll leap in anyway. As far as letting natural light in, would it not be better for any kind of flashy player entrance if there wasn’t much natural light and the lighting program can go unburdened?