the crane the crane | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

It seems a shame we don't have someone like Sir David A. or Morgan Freeman narrating this thread...
"Some cranes aren't meant to be immobile, their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up, does rejoice. I guess I just miss my crane cam"

- Shawshank (Carrier) Redemption

Ok everyone just tuning in and see the box girder is up and the small diameter spiral column being lifted into place -the smaller white crane and Walt very active - hope we have more going up today a great day for the Dome crown truss development!

I see two spiral columns - one in the yard and one in between the fencing but no box girders. Tomcat do you know if there are any in storage or are we waiting for a delivery?

I see two spiral columns - one in the yard and one in between the fencing but no box girders. Tomcat do you know if there are any in storage or are we waiting for a delivery?
I believe there is at least one box girder in nearby Hendricks Field, which is being used as an additional storage area for the project. They have to attach the two diagonal spirals on the sides of the standalone one they just attached a box girder to (one is almost set now), and then they will be caught up with the northeast corner.

I assume the one out in the open near the base of Walt is the other diagonal.

You can see another spiral along Irving, tucked next to that attractive black plastic fence. That one looks noticeably shorter than the ones they have been working with, which makes me think they are probably going to work on connecting the northwest and northeast corners of the crown truss next.

I will try and get some pictures before the BC game tomorrow night and check the Hendricks Field storage area then.

I believe there is at least one box girder in nearby Hendricks Field, which is being used as an additional storage area for the project. They have to attach the two diagonal spirals on the sides of the standalone one they just attached a box girder to (one is almost set now), and then they will be caught up with the northeast corner.

I assume the one out in the open near the base of Walt is the other diagonal.

You can see another spiral along Irving, tucked next to that attractive black plastic fence. That one looks noticeably shorter than the ones they have been working with, which makes me think they are probably going to work on connecting the northwest and northeast corners of the crown truss next.

I will try and get some pictures before the BC game tomorrow night and check the Hendricks Field storage area then.
do we think it'll be 3 box girders to make the connection between the 2 sides?

Just watching the replay of them putting up the diagonal spiral column, that wind was really whipping. You could actually see the crane and spiral swaying back and forth... I'm glad I'm not the one up there attaching the bolts.

While the crew is working on attaching the box girder, bolting, etc. the carrier which is red and sitting on the ground next to the last spiral steel column in the yard is being loaded by one of the crew with supplies to go up top. Since there is no zoom I can't tell what these things are but they must have something to do with the attachment. The carrier will be going up whether it's today or tomorrow we'll see.

If you look closely you can see two of the crew working on the box girder just installed. They don't look like they're safety attached but must be due to regulations they are now at the point where Walt's hoist hook is holding things in place

Last edited:
here goes the carrier - Walt's hoist and hook is the closest it's ever been right now to the live cam

It looks like there is a second red carrier one closer to the yard gates they are working on now. I cannot see what shape the one they are attending to now but it seems it's going up too. And, we are waiting for something else, it seems, to go into the next load of supplies that Walt is hooked up to. Up it goes with two crew! how cool is that?! I know it's just construction but really cool. They are at the mid point of the dome roof heading to the Crown Truss.

Last edited:
do we think it'll be 3 box girders to make the connection between the 2 sides?
So far, with the exception of the tiny piece of box girder in the middle of the middle arrowhead in each corner, I believe the box girders are sized to bridge the gaps between each of the hollow concrete columns that hold the roof in place. A vertical spiral column is always placed directly above each column, and the box girder connects the vertical spiral columns.

If you look at the dome, the corner clusters already in place scan 6 columns. There are three columns between the corner clusters.

So my long winded answer to your question is, yes, I think it will take 3 box girders to join the two sections of crown truss together. Looks like there will be one vertical spiral and one diagonal spiral holding these girders up (we only have the one vertical, two diagonal arrow head supports for the corners of the building).

Walt lifted the two men and supplies over to about one third of the way down next to one of the spiral steel columns. Now they are low and in the middle now back over seemingly inspecting everything. They are now resting about 30' from the edge of the Dome. Going up again. Now just hanging over the Dome.

Last edited:
Walt is now maneuvering the two crew along and above the installed crown truss to inspect everything now they are down on top of a box girder. The other large crane on the far side of the Dome closest to Hendricks chapel has been busy today as well bring up and lowering supplies. Off the middle of and on their way back down. And safe back in the yard.

Last edited:
The feed is saying I need to sign in using a G Suite account... help?

So far, with the exception of the tiny piece of box girder in the middle of the middle arrowhead in each corner, I believe the box girders are sized to bridge the gaps between each of the hollow concrete columns that hold the roof in place. A vertical spiral column is always placed directly above each column, and the box girder connects the vertical spiral columns.

If you look at the dome, the corner clusters already in place scan 6 columns. There are three columns between the corner clusters.

So my long winded answer to your question is, yes, I think it will take 3 box girders to join the two sections of crown truss together. Looks like there will be one vertical spiral and one diagonal spiral holding these girders up (we only have the one vertical, two diagonal arrow head supports for the corners of the building).
thanks I was thinking the same thing. We could see major progress on northern side over next few days. SHould be pretty quick, especially if they don't have to put up the scaffolding along that side.

thanks I was thinking the same thing. We could see major progress on northern side over next few days. SHould be pretty quick, especially if they don't have to put up the scaffolding along that side.
The back stay for the middle (there is only one) has been in place on that side for at least a month. I agree, in theory, with good luck with the weather, these two sections could be linked as soon as 3 days from now. I would feel better about this happening if the Irving storage area was more fully stocked. We have thought a big surge was coming and been disappointed before. But for now, the northwest section has almost caught up with the northeast and things are looking good.

An usher told my father that the roof is going to be 80 feet higher than what the current roof is at. This thing is going to be amazing.
is that even possible? just looking at the ring being built. its high pts are not 80 ft higher than the current roof is it? isnt the new roof somewhat suspended from the ring?

is that even possible? just looking at the ring being built. its high pts are not 80 ft higher than the current roof is it? isnt the new roof somewhat suspended from the ring?

not sure but that’s what is said in this article...

“The new roof will be 80 feet higher than the current one, which is already a presence on the Syracuse skyline.”

the question is, are they referring to the supports that hold the roof or the actual roof height inside the dome...I would assume actual height in the dome with what will be done for the scoreboard, otherwise punts will be hitting it with the size of that.

have they even really given any details on the new scoreboard? I have seen stories on it being big but nothing really detailing it?

I have to think the outer ring is gonna be close to 80 ft above the dome now but still wonder if the roof itself will be anything close to that?

have they even really given any details on the new scoreboard? I have seen stories on it being big but nothing really detailing it?

I have to think the outer ring is gonna be close to 80 ft above the dome now but still wonder if the roof itself will be anything close to that?
There was a technical drawing that was posted on the board that showed how high the roof was going to be. If I recall it was 75 or 80 feet taller than the current dome.

Like the one below but larger and more readable numbers.

1579057562176.png

not sure but that’s what is said in this article...

“The new roof will be 80 feet higher than the current one, which is already a presence on the Syracuse skyline.”

the question is, are they referring to the supports that hold the roof or the actual roof height inside the dome...I would assume actual height in the dome with what will be done for the scoreboard, otherwise punts will be hitting it with the size of that.
I believe they are talking about the crown truss. I have read the actual roof will be on average 5 to10 feet higher than the existing one...

Last edited: