the crane the crane | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

i guess we find out in the next few month.. that drawing implies like 25' higher on the truss and as Tomcat says just a bit higher in the roof. for all we know when its done it looks nothing like we have seen

The outside isnt going to look great. The inside will hopefully make up for it.
isnt the outside going to look like dozens of other arenas that do this type of support system ? nothin wrong with it and if they get around to some lighting it could look pretty cool

really how many stadiums look all that cool on the outside that didnt spend uber big bucks?

is that even possible? just looking at the ring being built. its high pts are not 80 ft higher than the current roof is it? isnt the new roof somewhat suspended from the ring?
It’s not possible. People are confusing the crown truss with the actual roof. That’s why they’re ushers and not engineers.

have they even really given any details on the new scoreboard? I have seen stories on it being big but nothing really detailing it?

I have to think the outer ring is gonna be close to 80 ft above the dome now but still wonder if the roof itself will be anything close to that?
Roof will be about 30’ higher.

Roof will be about 30’ higher.
I recall 25-39 feet higher based on diagrams and articles.

If the roof was only 5 feet higher, they would clearly not be able to add a center mounted giant scoreboard and video screens.

So the 25 - 39 makes sense and the 80 ft for the highest point of the crown truss on either side of the Dome makes sense.

If the roof was only 5 feet higher, they would clearly not be able to add a center mounted giant scoreboard and video screens.

So the 25 - 39 makes sense and the 80 ft for the highest point of the crown truss on either side of the Dome makes sense.
I like the fact that we can move the scoreboard vertically. I envision some carefully timed “adjustments” when the other team is punting.

I like the fact that we can move the scoreboard vertically. I envision some carefully timed “adjustments” when the other team is punting.
I dont think the scoreboard is going to move based on what has been said on the board. I hope so but not counting on it.

I hope you are right. I was very disappointed with the reports it is only going to be 5 to 10 feet higher.

It appears that they have no more girders and spiral pieces to put up (maybe one) I think the end of January timeline must be history. Maybe end of February.

Doesn't the roof have to be higher with the size of the scoreboard they're going to put in there? I'm thinking 25-40.

I dont think the scoreboard is going to move based on what has been said on the board. I hope so but not counting on it.
It won't move horizontally, but it will vertically. The question becomes whether that scoreboard is big enough to be at the proper viewing distance for hoops. I have my doubts that it will reach where the blue curtain used to hang.

It won't move horizontally, but it will vertically. The question becomes whether that scoreboard is big enough to be at the proper viewing distance for hoops. I have my doubts that it will reach where the blue curtain used to hang.
Originally they said it would move horizontally. Has it been 100% determined that that is scrapped?

From August article:
A new four-sided hanging scoreboard will be added along with the roof, which will have a “wow factor” for the fans, Wildhack said in April. The scoreboard may be portable — SU could move it to the center of the Dome for football games or to the side for basketball games. "

It would not be surprising to me if they changed that due to complexity of supporting it as it moved but I have not heard it was definitively changed.

Last edited:
Im going with over Tomcats estimate of 3 girders to complete the loop at +165

What is the YouTube live cam site ? I have the Cuse.com

Another box girder just arrived on the live stream

That's funny. It was reported 34 minutes ago there were no more girders on the ground so the timeline must be pushed back to the end February.

Originally they said it would move horizontally. Has it been 100% determined that that is scrapped?

From August article:
A new four-sided hanging scoreboard will be added along with the roof, which will have a “wow factor” for the fans, Wildhack said in April. The scoreboard may be portable — SU could move it to the center of the Dome for football games or to the side for basketball games. "

It would not be surprising to me if they changed that due to complexity of supporting it as it moved but I have not heard it was definitively changed.
They scrapped moving it horizontally because of the cost. That's why the scoreboard had darn well be big enough, otherwise it will look amateurish for hoops. Some of the $ that is freed up will go towards replacing the existing video boards. Not sure what kind of enhancements can really happen there as wall space is limited, but for those in the 100s (pullouts) they won't be able to see the new shiny center-hung board.

Here you go...

More hardware arriving now!

Also so prep work happening on the East side of the Dome.
Is anyone else getting a nighttime image tight now
Screenshot_20200115-104733_Chrome.jpg

The excitement is palpable. I’m so frickin’ nervous.

What will happen next?!?! My days are now consumed with this project.