The cupboard was bare defensively for this staff | Syracusefan.com

The cupboard was bare defensively for this staff

Alsacs

Living Legend
I mean we have a couple of nice players on defense but this staff is going to need 2-3 recruiting classes to bring in the talent we will need on the defensive side of the ball.

The problem isn't scheme. It this is the roster right now.

Sure what's another 5 years

Unfortunately we're going to have to wait. God could be coaching the team and our defense isn't going to be any better.

Louisville has a lot of talent on that offense. Too soon to judge the staff.
But, sure -- we need an upgrade at several spots, and including the OL and RBs. Can't win at this level with zero ability to run the bowl, and no ability to pressure the opposing passer.

I don't think it can be overstated how thin we were left on the D-line with the dismissal of 3 DE's last year. We would be a different defense.

I mean we have a couple of nice players on defense but this staff is going to need 2-3 recruiting classes to bring in the talent we will need on the defensive side of the ball.

We don't have the top end talent to match top end talent on offense.

But, we're going to play some teams that don't have much on offense. We'll magically look a lot better against them. I also don't think we'll see teams capable of attacking the way Louisville was.

We've got a ways to go, for sure, but we have some time to figure things out and still have a successful season.

Seems like I have have heard this story before...just wait until the next few classes come in...until they do...and nothing changes

We don't have the top end talent to match top end talent on offense.

But, we're going to play some teams that don't have much on offense. We'll magically look a lot better against them. I also don't think we'll see teams capable of attacking the way Louisville was.

We've got a ways to go, for sure, but we have some time to figure things out and still have a successful season.
Oh I agree I am just talking about when we play top 25 teams we don't have the talent to compete. I agree in the 8 non-top 25 teams we play we can easily win 6 of them.

Louisville has a lot of talent on that offense. Too soon to judge the staff.
But, sure -- we need an upgrade at several spots, and including the OL and RBs. Can't win at this level with zero ability to run the bowl, and no ability to pressure the opposing passer.

I agree with this but why is Strick being used to run up the middle? I asked the same question last week. Wouldn't Jordan Fredericks be better-suited for this role? Any reason why he's being under-utilized? He was our best back last year. I guess he was out of shape.

Guys, our talent level is one of the worst in the Power 5. Especially on D. ND, FSU and Clemson are going to smash us, we have to hope we can find 5 more wins. Starting next week against a good USF team that is capable of putting up a lot of points against us. On the bright side,we got slaughtered 4 times in 2013 and made a bowl. With McFu**it running the offense, so hope is not lost.

Yes every one knew it and it's been talked about for the last 6 months but then once the games start there's the epic freak out which is par for course.

Can everyone talk about the DEnds again? A 295 dtackle, a bench warming transfer and a few freshman. That's it. Kick in some 5-9 safeties. We have about 5 legit defensive players and that's it. And 3 of them are sophs. True Freshman don't count. Do we even have a 5th year senior on D or a stud 4th year senior? No

Samuels, slayton, Clark solid. Zaire solid. Everyone else on the fence. I like Bennett but he can't tackle. Cordy football player but to small for this level as a safety. Winfield solid. Freshman tbd. Everyone else? Crickets.

Oswego93 said:
Seems like I have have heard this story before...just wait until the next few classes come in...until they do...and nothing changes

Chin up. This is a good staff. We'll get better.

I don't think it can be overstated how thin we were left on the D-line with the dismissal of 3 DE's last year. We would be a different defense.

Yes and.. the kids on D are learning a new scheme just like the kids on O. It takes time. The early UL scores were as much to do with SU's D being slow to respond due to the learning curve multiplied by the talent and skill that UL has on O. That said, UL left some points on the field for sure. I just think the SU D showed some signs for a decent stretch of the game, but then late we saw a similar phenomenon.

Oh, the problem is also scheme. tampa 2 is a loser defense. And Syracuse will never get the type of players we need to play it. What good college team plays tampa 2?

Oh, the problem is also scheme. tampa 2 is a loser defense. And Syracuse will never get the type of players we need to play it. What good college team plays tampa 2?

None cause it's a pro d. I'm trying to buy in. I think the idea is to outscore people at a faster clip. You score in 7 minutes I score in 3 minutes. Backfired today, 4 plays 21 points. Not supposed to be a give up the big play defense.

Chin up. This is a good staff. We'll get better.

Yes we do and yes we will. Sorry but this staff inherited a roster devoid of talent in many areas. They will do well but this isn't a quick fix. Marrone left Shafer with mediocre talent and Shafer left Babers with mediocre talent. That kind of thing doesn't get fixed in two games. Look at our roster and tell me who will be playing at the next level. Teams like Louisville blow our talent away.

Yes we do and yes we will. Sorry but this staff inherited a roster devoid of talent in many areas. They will do well but this isn't a quick fix. Marrone left Shafer with mediocre talent and Shafer left Babers with mediocre talent. That kind of thing doesn't get fixed in two games. Look at our roster and tell me who will be playing at the next level. Teams like Louisville blow our talent away.

Not one pro on the roster. (unless a true frosh emerges out of nowhere)

That is my point. When GRob came aboard, the excuse was that P left the cupboard bare. Likewise, when FHCDM came on, GRob had left us with nothing. Now I'm learning that when Shafer took the helm, he had nothing, and of course babers has been left with nothing now.

But THIS TIME, I'm supposed to believe it will be different! Just as soon as the new guy gets his recruits here?

That is my point. When GRob came aboard, the excuse was that P left the cupboard bare. Likewise, when FHCDM came on, GRob had left us with nothing. Now I'm learning that when Shafer took the helm, he had nothing, and of course babers has been left with nothing now.

But THIS TIME, I'm supposed to believe it will be different! Just as soon as the new guy gets his recruits here?
Yes

I agree with what you're saying. Babers would say: belief without evidence.

The difference this time won't be recruiting, at least not for a while. The difference will be that we're improving the offensive side of the ball.

If you can't tell the difference between the garbage that we've had on the field for so long and what we're seeing on offense now then I really don't know what to tell you.

I agree with this but why is Strick being used to run up the middle? I asked the same question last week. Wouldn't Jordan Fredericks be better-suited for this role? Any reason why he's being under-utilized? He was our best back last year. I guess he was out of shape.

I agree about Fredericks. Can't really answer your question, but I suspect Babers sees Strickland as a better fit for quick hits.
The defense was lousy tonight against a very talented opponent; the running game was lousy tonight and last week. They might want to consider some changes in the OL and how the RBs are used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom