The current state of recruiting in this program | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

The current state of recruiting in this program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously, the NCAA sanctions were a huge problem for recruiting, right? Hopkins leaving was an issue. The uncertainty of JB's eventual retirement was an issue. We've had some bad luck, with players leaving early for the NBA draft, including Bazely, and the one big that was declared ineligible. We've had to fight against other programs paying players. Kansas and Arizona come to mind.

Not sure we can pin this all on Jimmy B.
The NCAA sanctions were an over-punishment. The NCAA doesn't like JB because he runs his mouth.
At the end of the day the program is on JB's shoulders. He is the one who is responsible for the roster/team.
I am not going to blame the assistant coaches. The program has a brighter future but the frustration of these last years mostly should fall on the HC. He put the team together.

Last edited:
Wait...Duke recruits itself but I can't compare Gmac to Sheyer? So Gerry's job is much harder? I don't see Gerry's ascent to assistant coach as all that odd. How about Allen Griffin then?
Duke recruits for itself thus who they hire as an assistant coach matters a lot less.

Allen Griffin went outside of the family on his own and went to other spots before the opening from Hopkins allowed him to return home. Also a lot of people didn't want Griffin either when Hop left they wanted a bigger recruiter. JB went with the status quo hire.

GMac didn't leave the program. He graduated. Came back as a grad assistant, I think was director of player development not sure his title then when Fine was fired slide over to the bench.

Completely different from Griffin.
Duke could hire me, you, or anyone on this board as long as they have their bagmen they will recruit.

The NCAA sanctions were an over-punishment. The NCAA doesn't like JB because he runs his mouth.
At the end of the day the program is on JB's shoulders. He is the one who is responsible for the roster/team.
I am not going to play the assistant coaches. The program has a brighter future but the frustration of these last years mostly should fall on the HC. He put the team together.

Right. so the NCAA "over-punished Syracuse" which hurt recruiting? Blame the NCAA then.

None of the rest addresses the injuries, bad luck, early-entrants, and bag men at other schools. Or Hopkins leaving.

Duke recruits for itself thus who they hire as an assistant coach matters a lot less.

Allen Griffin went outside of the family on his own and went to other spots before the opening from Hopkins allowed him to return home. Also a lot of people didn't want Griffin either when Hop left they wanted a bigger recruiter. JB went with the status quo hire.

GMac didn't leave the program. He graduated. Came back as a grad assistant, I think was director of player development not sure his title then when Fine was fired slide over to the bench.

Completely different from Griffin.
Duke could hire me, you, or anyone on this board as long as they have their bagmen they will recruit.

So Gmac paid his dues? There was an opportunity since Fine was moved out? Why do coaches have to leave the family? Hopkins and JB didn't.

Right. so the NCAA "over-punished Syracuse" which hurt recruiting? Blame the NCAA then.

None of the rest addresses the injuries, bad luck, early-entrants, and bag men at other schools. Or Hopkins leaving.
What about player development, roster construction, recruiting decisions. The NCAA didn't hurt these areas.

Also while the NCAA over-punished it doesn't absolve JB of blame from the NCAA barking around the program. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing excuse doesn't work with the NCAA. We got overpunished it doesn't mean the program was innocent. JB has been loyal to the school and the school showed the loyalty back by keeping him as HC after a 2nd time on probation.

It will be good. Wild will go with Red who brings in a good recruiter. If Red does well great if not Wild cleans house. Im pretty confident this is the plan or these guys would be looking to leave and they're not.

I think if you replace GMac with Red, it might be plausible.

My hope is they go external, quite honestly. Hopkins being the main target, then after that who knows.
Don't know if any of our assistants have the makeup to be the top dog right now.

So Gmac paid his dues? Why do coaches have to leave the family? Hopkins and JB didn't.
The performance of Hopkins and JB show why. My god. You don't even bother to try and formulate anything that doesn't take but basic common sense to counter.
JB and Hopkins were superstar coaches Please don't tell me you don't see the difference.
GMac is fine. He isn't a superstar assistant coach. Thus, the evaluation is exactly what is being said.

Our problem is we can’t keep the best home. You can’t let guys like Bryant and Stewart get away. They are game changers that we are losing. We are very selective in the style of player JB recruits. We’ve also been on the combo guard kick, which has hurt us. Just give us a true point guard and a big who can score inside, and this program would look different.

What about player development, roster construction, recruiting decisions. The NCAA didn't hurt these areas.

Also while the NCAA over-punished it doesn't absolve JB of blame from the NCAA barking around the program. The right doesn't know what the left is doing excuse doesn't work with the NCAA. We got overpunished it doesn't mean the program was innocent. JB has been loyal to the school and the school the loyalty back by keeping him as HC after a 2nd time on probation.

Player development? We had 6 straight years of NBA draft picks. And some of that player development falls on the actual players. Hard to construct a roster when you lose 3 recruits a year for 4 years.

You keep saying "overpunished" because the infractions were pretty minor? It's not like we were paying $90,000 for Billy Preston. Wonder why we didn't land that kid?

But you ignored the part where that insider mentioned that IJ was at the Syracuse Elite camp in 2018.
I have the impression that the SU camps are a way to feel out potential interest and try to get players up for a look. If the coaches were staying in touch, then why did IJ feel the need to call?

I have the impression that the SU camps are a way to feel out potential interest and try to get players up for a look. If the coaches were staying in touch, then why did IJ feel the need to call?

Could be Isaiah wasnt receptive for awhile and the staff cooled off. Isaiah rethinks the situation and reaches out again ...

I'm going based off what i read on the recruiting board by so-called insiders. The IJ situation is unusual because it sounds like IJ felt that he needed to reach out for whatever reason. That's not typically how this goes.
either you clearly have not read everything or you choose to discount anything that doesn't confirm your narrative

JB and Hopkins were superstar coaches

Nobody knew that when either was hired. In fact, many here were doubting Hopkins as a coach a couple years ago, even after 20 plus years as an assistant under a HOF coach. Assistant coaches have to start somewhere. GMac played 4 years at Cuse just like Hop and sat on the bench 2-3 years before being promoted. Nothing wrong with that.

So Gmac paid his dues? There was an opportunity since Fine was moved out? Why do coaches have to leave the family? Hopkins and JB didn't.
Gmac didn't have to leave, but he should not be entrusted with the most important recruits. When Hop left, JB should've conducted a national search not an alum search.

either you clearly have not read everything or you choose to discount anything that doesn't confirm your narrative
There's the N-word again.

Player development? We had 6 straight years of NBA draft picks. And some of that player development falls on the actual players. Hard to construct a roster when you lose 3 recruits a year for 4 years.

You keep saying "overpunished" because the infractions were pretty minor? It's not like we were paying $90,000 for Billy Preston. Wonder why we didn't land that kid?
Player development has little to do with NBA draft picks. If you follow that process you know the NBA draft is completely on player potential. Not what the player currently is. The NBA looks for guys who in 2-3 years could be rotation players.
Our player development has been poor at developing guys. If you think otherwise and I know you will just leave it your opinion and we will agree to disagree and if you opened that debate to the entire board you would see again how different your opinion is.
We didn't get Preston because we don't cheat like that. I given JB credit numerous times for the fact he doesn't buy recruits but he has had plenty of recent misses.
Why didn't we land Jaylen Brunson? Read that subject up.

Gmac didn't have to leave, but he should not be entrusted with the most important recruits. When Hop left, JB should've conducted a national search not an alum search.

The assistants go out and find these kids. They build relationships with players and coaches. Often times they are the ones bringing the players to JB. JB is not handing Gmac recruits.

Again, who should JB have hired? Someone that knows the program, bleeds orange, understands the culture, and will be loyal? Another Mike Hopkins? Or some outsider?

Nobody knew that when either was hired. In fact, many here were doubting Hopkins as a coach a couple years ago, even after 20 plus years as an assistant under a HOF coach. Assistant coaches have to start somewhere. GMac played 4 years at Cuse just like Hop and sat on the bench 2-3 years before being promoted. Nothing wrong with that.
Gerry has been here since 2012. He isn't close to what Hop was an assistant.

Hop was a superstar recruiter once he took from Fine in that role. GMac is doing a good job he isn't Hopkins.

Why are you doing this?

The assistants go out and find these kids. They build relationships with players and coaches. Often times they are the ones bringing the players to JB. JB is not handing Gmac recruits.

Again, who should JB have hired? Someone that knows the program, bleeds orange, understands the culture, and will be loyal? Another Mike Hopkins? Or some outsider?
Simple. The best person available. You're saying Griff was the best?

In your case it absolutely applies.
You and others throw that word around whenever you disagree with a viewpoint as if it somehow elevates your position. That's a narrative in itself.

Player development has little to do with NBA draft picks. If you follow that process you know the NBA draft is completely on player potential. Not what the player currently is. The NBA looks for guys who in 2-3 years could be rotation players.
Our player development has been poor at developing guys. If you think otherwise and I know you will just leave it your opinion and we will agree to disagree and if you opened that debate to the entire board you would see again how different your opinion is.
We didn't get Preston because we don't cheat like that. I given JB credit numerous times for the fact he doesn't buy recruits but he has had plenty of recent misses.
Why didn't we land Jaylen Brunson? Read that subject up.

Our player development has been poor but we were putting kids in the NBA every year? huh. weird.

We didn't get Preston because we didn't pay. How many other kids? You say Duke and UK cheat. Quade Green and Jordan Tucker?

We didn't land Brunson because we had other PG's. We didn't land Jimmer Fredette either. Easy to cherry pick after the fact.

Gerry has been here since 2012. He isn't close to what Hop was an assistant.

Hop was a superstar recruiter once he took from Fine in that role. GMac is doing a good job he isn't Hopkins.

Why are you doing this?

Dude, you've totally missed the point, which was that GMac didn't deserve to be an AC on our staff. Go back an re-read.

It will be good. Wild will go with Red who brings in a good recruiter. If Red does well great if not Wild cleans house. Im pretty confident this is the plan or these guys would be looking to leave and they're not.
I’m pretty sure he’ll put on the full court press for Hop first. If Red gets the job, he’ll most definitely bring in a charismatic and well-connected recruiter. That said, I don’t think JB is going anywhere for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom