The current state of recruiting in this program | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

The current state of recruiting in this program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank Gawd 1 month and 2 days to season opener. These recruiting threads are getting rediculous. Remember most of these kids being recruited are around 18 years old and may or may not come to Syracuse for one reason or another. If they choose another school it does not necessarily mean it's the SU Coach who was recruiting thems fault.

Thank Gawd 1 month and 2 days to season opener. These recruiting threads are getting rediculous. Remember most of these kids being recruited are around 18 years old and may or may not come to Syracuse for one reason or another. If they choose another school it does not necessarily mean it's the SU Coach who was recruiting thems fault.

Exactly. It just means the school they chose was more attractive and the coach who recruited them did a better job of recruiting.

Doesn't matter how hard you work ... if the girl has a crush on someone else, she isn't going to the dance with you.

I think Red is an excellent recruiter. Rob Murphy was a really good recruiter—but R

Red is a great recruiter but he’s facing some uphill battles with negative recruiting against JB’s age. That said, all 3 of our assistants are pretty quiet, low-key guys, especially compared to Hop and Rob Murphy. Gmac does not have a naturally outgoing personality.
[/QUOTE]

As others have mentioned, there are plenty of other older coaches in our conference, however, none of them had a set retirement date with a named successor and then went back on the plan so they could coach their son. Whether people agree with it or not that directly puts a speculative timeline on his tenure that's unique to JB and there's a rather subtantial layer of ambiguity around who exactly will be on the coaching staff when these recruits actually begin/end their careers here. It makes our assistant's jobs tough.

Yup. I used to complain that Gerry and Jonny Flynn shouldn’t have to play all 40.

Now we’ve got Frank Howard playing all 40?

My kingdom for 2 PGs on the team at the same time that can play...
It makes my mind go numb when I look at the MPG Dion Waiters averages in 2012 and the amount of MPG Trevor Cooney had to play his last 3 years.

Superstars should play 40 not the entire starting lineup.

I'm not really saying jettison someone, but if they have chance to increase responsibilities and we can respond with a the hire of a big-time recruiter, it could be a win-win.

Who would you hire?

Jason Hart for Gmac. Bring him home

I'm not against the idea of Jason Hart but hate limiting ourselves to alums as assistants. That being said, does Jason have ties to recruiting areas that would be beneficial to us or mostly west coast where he is from?

None of the assistants are going anywhere. It would be appealing if they could become candidates for other HC jobs at a lower level but they aren't leaving.

We won't see change till JB retires and then it will be the decision we are all waiting for. Does JW go internal or national search.

None of the assistants are going anywhere. It would be appealing if they could become candidates for other HC jobs at a lower level but they aren't leaving.

We won't see change till JB retires and then it will be the decision we are all waiting for. Does JW go internal or national search.

Hopkins gets the first call.

All we need to do is find a Rick Jackson type big every 2 years in recruiting.

Jackson I believe was a top 50 recruit. He wasn't a top 25 or McD AA.
We need a servicable big who can during games get us scoring in the post when we hit a dry spell.

Note Rak Christmas was a level above Jackson. I am not saying we need a Rak every 2 years. Go watch Xavier, Villanova, Florida State, Michigan, Ohio State type of teams. They typically have a big who is comparable to Rick Jackson.

Our problem is our bigs. We have had scorers but they get cold and since Lydon left we haven't had a big who could get us a basket either by shooting or posting. That is since Hop left. Chukwu was a nice kid but he didn't help us on offense and his pick and roll attempts actually hurt us in the half court.

It will be good. Wild will go with Red who brings in a good recruiter. If Red does well great if not Wild cleans house. Im pretty confident this is the plan or these guys would be looking to leave and they're not.

speak for yourself

i dread the day jb hangs it up.
Syracuse basketball is what it is because of Jim Boeheim but the program will continue to function without him.
I dread when Tom Brady and Belichick hang it up and I know the team will become just like the rest but fans while appreciating the status quo are always looking to the future.

Go watch Xavier, Villanova, Florida State, Michigan, Ohio State type of teams. They typically have a big who is comparable to Rick Jackson.
funny you should mention that . . .
we beat out villanova for jba, whom jay wright compared to daniel ochefu (center on his first title team) at the same stage of development

It will be good. Wild will go with Red who brings in a good recruiter. If Red does well great if not Wild cleans house. Im pretty confident this is the plan or these guys would be looking to leave and they're not.

You keep insisting this.

I think that it is virtually 0.0% chance that Wildhack goes with Red.

funny you should mention that . . .
we beat out villanova for jba, whom jay wright compared to daniel ochefu (center on his first title team) at the same stage of development
Daniel Ochefu wasn't a project.
He is exactly what we need a la a Rick Jackson type big.

Ochefu played 17 MPG as a freshman, 3.5 PPG, 4.6 RPG. 1.4 S/B(steal/blocks) PG.
His Jr. and Sr. years he averaged 10 PPG, 6 RPG and shot 60+% from the field.

If we get that from JBA he isn't a project and I would take those numbers from JBA as a FR.

I don't think that anyone can argue that we have top 10-15 resources in the entire country for basketball. If everyone is then doing a good job using those resources we should be recruiting and finishing in that range each year. For the last bunch of years we have started to finish in the 30-50 range in class rankings and in final standings. It's a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom