The current state of recruiting in this program | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

The current state of recruiting in this program

Status
Not open for further replies.
All we need to do is find a Rick Jackson type big every 2 years in recruiting.

Jackson I believe was a top 50 recruit. He wasn't a top 25 or McD AA.
We need a servicable big who can during games get us scoring in the post when we hit a dry spell.

Note Rak Christmas was a level above Jackson. I am not saying we need a Rak every 2 years. Go watch Xavier, Villanova, Florida State, Michigan, Ohio State type of teams. They typically have a big who is comparable to Rick Jackson.

Our problem is our bigs. We have had scorers but they get cold and since Lydon left we haven't had a big who could get us a basket either by shooting or posting. That is since Hop left. Chukwu was a nice kid but he didn't help us on offense and his pick and roll attempts actually hurt us in the half court.

We went after a Big like RJ . He went to Umass..

I don't think that anyone can argue that we have top 10-15 resources in the entire country for basketball. If everyone is then doing a good job using those resources we should be recruiting and finishing in that range each year. For the last bunch of years we have started to finish in the 30-50 range in class rankings and in final standings. It's a problem.

Let’s not ignore the reasons for the problem.

If we want to challenge for ACC titles and make runs at the Final 4, recruiting is going to need to improve, it starts with surrounding our existing talent with players like IJ. His recruitment will tell us a lot about where we’re headed as JB closes out his career.
Except we were not recruiting him. He reached out to SU, not the other way around. And the fact is, we'd need to sign one IJ in every class going forward if we want to start being taken more seriously in the ACC.

Except we were not recruiting him. He reached out to SU, not the other way around. And the fact is, we'd need to sign one IJ in every class going forward if we want to start being taken more seriously in the ACC.

How did he get to the Elite Camp the year before? Did he just show up on his own? You're already making excuses in the event we land the kid. Gotta push your agenda.

Syracuse offered Jackson in July 2018. There goes that theory that the kid fell in our lap. We offered a month before Michigan State did.

Last edited:
It will be good. Wild will go with Red who brings in a good recruiter. If Red does well great if not Wild cleans house. Im pretty confident this is the plan or these guys would be looking to leave and they're not.

Not going to happen.

Why is it always on Gerry?

Autry is our most seasoned assistant coach and recruiter.
Because JB is giving him opportunities here that he probably wouldn't get anywhere else in P5. That creates an expectation that Gerry needs to show something special because he was hand-picked by his mentor. That's just my opinion and I'm sure many will find that to be upsetting.

Red has been in a different class than Gerry from a recruiting perspective since he joined. Hop was a beast as we all know but Red is an excellent recruiter in his own right. Those two were a great duo during our run.

Gerry has struggled. It is what it is but he’s young and he’s learning so my guess is he should keep improving.
I don't think the youth card can be played anymore. Recruiting is about building relationships with high school coaches, but a bigger part is having the kind of personality and presence that kids gravitate towards. I think Gerry would hit it out of the park at a Mid-major program. He would also be fine here if we had a swag daddy on the staff to take the pressure off his shoulders.

How did he get to the Elite Camp the year before? Did he just show up on his own? You're already making excuses in the event we land the kid. Gotta push your agenda.

Syracuse offered Jackson in July 2018. There goes that theory that the kid fell in our lap.

The only agenda is everyone wanting the program to be in the top 10 again. The use of the words agenda and narrative on this board are beyond ridiculous. They don't even make sense. Yes, it is the agenda of numerous of us to hopefully use message board posts to keep the program nationally irrelevant. We are actually UCONN fans in disguise here for 10 years and hoping to remain peers.

Because JB is giving him opportunities here that he probably wouldn't get anywhere else in P5. That creates an expectation that Gerry needs to show something special because he was hand-picked by his mentor. That's just my opinion and I'm sure many will find that to be upsetting.

What opportunities was Gerry given?

giphy.gif

None of the assistants are going anywhere. It would be appealing if they could become candidates for other HC jobs at a lower level but they aren't leaving.

We won't see change till JB retires and then it will be the decision we are all waiting for. Does JW go internal or national search.
Maybe the better question is why are they not getting opportunities elsewhere?

The only agendthat want one wanting the program to be in the top 10 again. The use of the words agenda and narrative on this board are beyond ridiculous. They don't even make sense. Yes, it is the agenda of numerous of us to hopefully use message board posts to keep the program nationally irrelevant. We are actually UCONN fans in disguise here for 10 years and hoping to remain peers.

Call it whatever you want. Same group of negative nancies that want to blame JB for everything, and ignore the real issues.

What opportunities was Gerry given?
Not sure what you mean. Unless I'm mistaken he got his coaching start at SU. Then he was promoted to the recruiting trail, and then given the task of reeling in the big fish. I just don't see how his resume warranted climbing the ladder as quickly as he did.

I’m well aware of how it started. But the fact is we are now recruiting him.

Call it whatever you want. Same group of negative nancies that want to blame JB for everything, and ignore the real issues.
Please explain what the real issues are. Also who is responsible for our issues?

Not sure what you mean. Unless I'm mistaken he got his coaching start at SU. Then he was promoted to the recruiting trail, and then given the task of reeling in the big fish. I just don't see how his resume warranted climbing the ladder as quickly as he did.

He's an assistant coach. Like John Sheyer at Duke, who is 4 years younger.

incorrect. syracuse was one of the first schools to offer & red has been on him since he was a sophomore. he called to make clear increased interest through lines of communication established through hard work by the staff

He's an assistant coach. Like John Sheyer at Duke, who is 4 years younger.
Don't do that. GMac isn't Scheyer. Duke recruits for itself because they are likely cheating.
Don't compare GMac to Duke assistants. Duke assistants have left for the Stanford, Northwestern, Marquette, Pitt jobs in the last decade.
We have lost our best assistant to Washington.

GMac gets too much criticism but he isn't doing a great job like Hopkins was either. He is above average which is fine for an assistant coach.

Please explain what the real issues are. Also who is responsible for our issues?

Obviously, the NCAA sanctions were a huge problem for recruiting, right? Hopkins leaving was an issue. The uncertainty of JB's eventual retirement was an issue. We've had some bad luck, with players leaving early for the NBA draft, including Bazely, and the one big that was declared ineligible. We've had to fight against other programs paying players. Kansas and Arizona come to mind.

Not sure we can pin this all on Jimmy B.

incorrect. syracuse was one of the first schools to offer & red has been on him since he was a sophomore. he called to make clear increased interest through lines of communication established through hard work by the staff
I'm going based off what i read on the recruiting board by so-called insiders. The IJ situation is unusual because it sounds like IJ felt that he needed to reach out for whatever reason. That's not typically how this goes.

Don't do that. GMac isn't Scheyer. Duke recruits for itself because they are likely cheating.
Don't compare GMac to Duke assistants. Duke assistants have left for the Stanford, Northwestern, Marquette, Pitt jobs in the last decade.
We have lost our best assistant to Washington.

GMac gets too much criticism but he isn't doing a great job like Hopkins was either. He is above average which is fine for an assistant coach.

Wait...Duke recruits itself but I can't compare Gmac to Sheyer? So Gerry's job is much harder? I don't see Gerry's ascent to assistant coach as all that odd. How about Allen Griffin then? Or Mike Hopkins?

I'm going based off what i read on the recruiting board by so-called insiders. The IJ situation is unusual because it sounds like IJ felt that he needed to reach out for whatever reason. That's not typically how this goes.

But you ignored the part where that insider mentioned that IJ was at the Syracuse Elite camp in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom