Spoiler Alert - The Desolation of Smaug | Syracusefan.com

Spoiler Alert The Desolation of Smaug

Guinness

Living Legend
Curious as to what others thought of it as I found it disappointing. I understand that they had to add material to turn into a trilogy and I am fine with them adding those scenes. What I was not fine with was the changing of the scenes that were in the book. In particular the dwarves role inside the mountain with Smaug really disappointed me.

It seems to me that they have taken the story of a hobbit and turned into a story about dwarves instead.

Didn't see the Hobbit. Won't see this one. Didn't enjoy the LOTR movies. Peter Jackson is my least favorite director. His movies just aren't fun. They also test my bladder capacity. That's not what I like to see movies for.

Didn't see the Hobbit. Won't see this one. Didn't enjoy the LOTR movies. Peter Jackson is my least favorite director. His movies just aren't fun. They also test my bladder capacity. That's not what I like to see movies for.

The LOTR movies were a bit different in that the material was already there for a trilogy. With The Hobbit being less than 300 they have really had come up with other sources.

The only other movie of his I have seen is King Kong and I was not a fan. Does he have other well known works?

Haven't seen it yet but marking this thread so I reply post-hoc. That said I've been disappointed with the liberties Jackson has taken, both in LOTR and Hobbit. Giving Frodo's ballsy line "Come and claim..." to Arwen. Adding far too much backstory on Azog, who merited only a brief mention in the book. Now I understand this "strong female lead" elf Tauriel is in... and there are potential sparks between her and a dwarf...? Makes me cringe, and all I can hope for is that they got Smaug right and left his epic barbs and ripostes with Bilbo untouched.

Haven't seen it yet but marking this thread so I reply post-hoc. That said I've been disappointed with the liberties Jackson has taken, both in LOTR and Hobbit. Giving Frodo's ballsy line "Come and claim..." to Arwen. Adding far too much backstory on Azog, who merited only a brief mention in the book. Now I understand this "strong female lead" elf Tauriel is in... and there are potential sparks between her and a dwarf...? Makes me cringe, and all I can hope for is that they got Smaug right and left his epic barbs and ripostes with Bilbo untouched.

Smaug is fantastic in appearance and in the voice acting by Cumberbatch. I will leave it to you to decide when you see if if you think the encounter under the mountain lives up to the book.

The whole feel of the story has been changed. The Hobbit was shockingly enough a story about a Hobbit where as the movies feel more like a story about Thorin and company. The Mirkwood spider scene, the barrel chase scene and then the scenes under the mountain with Smaug all bothered me.

Wanted to add that the one thing Jackson got right was Thranduil. Totally nailed him for the absolute pr!ck he is.

Wanted to add that the one thing Jackson got right was Thranduil. Totally nailed him for the absolute pr!ck he is.
LOL. Total xenophobe apparently motivated solely by avarice and envy.

I just got to remember that The Hobbit was much more of a children's book than the LOTR novels and then everything's fine. I'm alright that they added Legolas, Radagast and all this Necromancer stuff...fine.

The third movie better have the most kickass battle scene ever, because that's how it is in the book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom