The DeVito catharsis thread | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

The DeVito catharsis thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, can’t wait for the season to start Saturday so we can stop talking about Devito!!!!

This is what happens when we aren’t getting any info from the team! LOL
Agree. This is a ridiculous thread. If one gets stuck in the past and can't move on, bad things usually happen.

Agree. This is a ridiculous thread. If one gets stuck in the past and can't move on, bad things usually happen.
We may be stuck in the past, but I don’t think Dino or the team is this year.

Most unpredictable thing about this thread is that it made it 14 pages without getting locked or nuked.

I'm not sure that's a good thing.

I think because…. I don’t think there is “hate” for Tommy….

I think it’s more, disappointment.

I know I really wanted it to work with Tommy. Thought he was about to take us to glory….and it fell flat…

Which I think is why we as fans are so invested in what he does at Illinois.

As said earlier, I don’t think people are rooting against the kid….but I think most certainly aren’t hoping he lights it up out there.

If he does, it brings into question Dino and whatever was going on here….

My personal take of his game from Saturday was that it was very pedestrian. Looked a lot like what we saw last season at Ohio.

Interested to see what happens when his competition ramps up.

I know I really wanted it to work with Tommy. Thought he was about to take us to glory….and it fell flat…

As said earlier, I don’t think people are rooting against the kid….but I think most certainly aren’t hoping he lights it up out there.

My personal take of his game from Saturday was that it was very pedestrian. Looked a lot like what we saw last season at Ohio.

Yeah, I get all of that.

I just think some folks (not you specifically) should take 3 minutes and apply Dave Mason's immortal lyrics to the DeVitos:

Nah, the thread isn't ridiculous, I gave the board a gift by starting it.

Clearly there are a lot of feelings people are still working through.

And all of that conversation is contained here and not spilling over into other parts of the board.

I don't think it's that simple at all (though, I think some may try to run with this).

There are a lot of variables - who we played each of the 3 years, who they play this year, OL play, WR talent, system, philosophy, etc. The stuff that is unlikely to change is: great arm, bad under pressure, safe decision making - all of which showed up yesterday. After 3Q vs Wyoming he had a very Syracuse 2021 yds/comp

It's easier to say: he got every chance we could provide here, and then he went there and did x without drawing any real conclusions. I know we won't do that, but...

Per my post on the same page:

2018 11.9/6.0
2019 11.1/7.0
2020 12.3/6.2
2021 12.1/7.5
2022 7.3/5.3

(YPC/YPA)

A lot of truth in here. I think Devito will have a 2019 type season at Illnois. That type of performance can get a run heavy team tlike Illnois to 6 or 7 wins.

Welch and TD were not getting it done. One had enough arm talent to convince the staff he might put it together. It’s a testament to him arm that he stayed in QB1 as long as he did and moved on to start at another p5 school. He can be both someone who you want to start and a guy who won’t win you games *and* be better than Welch.

If there’s anyone to blame for this it’s Dino and his lack of a quality QB backup in 2019/2020. And I maintain that TD’s arm and pedigree scared quality backups away. It was a lose lose.
I don’t think Tommy scared anyone off, I think Martin/Gilbert both sucked as QB coaches/recruiters and of course Dino being HC shares that blame

I don’t think Tommy scared anyone off, I think Martin/Gilbert both sucked as QB coaches/recruiters and of course Dino being HC shares that blame
Yeah, I find our lack of investment in a quality QB coach to be bizarre, to say the least.

To go back to one my greatest hits - we're the only college program that plays in a Dome. We should leverage that into being one of the premier programs at passing the ball in college football.

Last edited:
Per my post on the same page:

2018 11.9/6.0
2019 11.1/7.0
2020 12.3/6.2
2021 12.1/7.5
2022 7.3/5.3

(YPC/YPA)
Could be what Wyoming was giving them, will be interesting to see if they develop a mid/long game

I hope to not follow along that closely

If you read between the lines, didn’t Mr. Dungey say that?
He said something like “don’t forget about Amie”…..which is exactly what u want the departing starter and lead of the QB room to say about any player who is in that room, or any room really, who came to a school to compete and win a starting job ASAP.

and maybe one who is already thinking about leaving.

this thread is going to be much more fun than I anticipated….

He said something like “don’t forget about Amie”…..which is exactly what u want the departing starter and lead of the QB room to say about any player who is in that room, or any room really, who came to a school to compete and win a starting job ASAP.

and maybe one who is already thinking about leaving.

this thread is going to be much more fun than I anticipated….
It’s not just about Dungey’s comment. People in the know knew of Amie potentially beating TD out prior to that.

If you read between the lines, didn’t Mr. Dungey say that?
IIRC didn’t Dungey say something like “I think Amie is going to be the best one of the group”? And everyone thought it was just sour grapes towards DiVito

Maybe it was the hype, maybe it was his dad but I can’t remember such a decisive player

I really think it is as simple as it wasn’t a good fit at the time for either side.

Hopefully Cuse does better without him and he does better without Cuse.

His dad messaged me privately once asking “if I had a problem with him”. He seemed unhinged.
Well. The guys clearly a nut job. So of course he "seemed" unhinged.

Nah, the thread isn't ridiculous, I gave the board a gift by starting it.

Clearly there are a lot of feelings people are still working through.

And all of that conversation is contained here and not spilling over into other parts of the board.

When all is said and done, I hope there will be a presentation of some advanced poster analytics from this thread.

It's about what one guy who isn't here anymore said about two guys who aren't either.

Whatever you think of DeVito, he's done better than Amie.

True, but not as well as the other guy did when he was here.

I really think it is as simple as it wasn’t a good fit at the time for either side.

Hopefully Cuse does better without him and he does better without Cuse.

His dad messaged me privately once asking “if I had a problem with him”. He seemed unhinged.
If by a good fit you mean he needs an ideal supporting cast, I think you're right. The thing is, there are like 5 programs like that, and they all had guys that were better.

Status
Not open for further replies.