The DeVito catharsis thread | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

The DeVito catharsis thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that was his point. If Welch comes in and the team does some things better, it says something about the guy that went out.
Robert Downey Jr Shrug GIF by MOODMAN

Not that it will change anyones mind about the quote, but it was in response to a reporters question about how he felt about his OL and the protection they gave him.
So to give someone else props, you have to take a shot at someone else? The fact that he had to say he’s not taking any shots, means that was exactly on his mind. And the stat isn’t even true. As another poster said he had 3 games for Syracuse where he wasn’t sacked. For all that time he had against Wyoming his stat line was atrocious.

Last edited:
So does caretaker / redrum lurk on Illinois boards as well?

So to give someone else props, you have to take a shot at someone else? The fact that he had to say he’s not taking any shots, means that was exactly on his mind. And the stat isn’t even true. As another poster said he had 3 games for Syracuse where he wasn’t sacked. For all that time he had against Wyoming his stat line was atrocious.

Not according to PFF. His grade was pretty darn good. And not according to his coaches quotes or his WR’s quotes.

A poor OL with injuries. Poor WR group. A poor OC, game plan and play calling. Etc. For everyone else they are “reasons”. For Devito they are “excuses.
When Clayton Welch outplayed him in 2019 those 'reasons' became excuses. I don't understand the affinity for Devito. Personally he seemed like a good kid, but I'd take a QB like Terel Hunt over a practice pretty QB like Devito. Some qbs have it, like Schrader in my opinion, others don't like Devito. Devito couldn't seem to rally the team, some qbs are leaders, I suspect Devito wasnt.

I’m done making the case for Tommy, but I’m sure not making it for Welch
Its not about making a case for Welch, its about highlighting how bad Devito was. Watching him throw short passes when the team needed score at end of games. Everytime he was forced out of the pocket he never made a play in 3 years. Throwing the ball away, and unwilling to take chances when the team needed a spark. Watching him operate was the most frustrating QB I've ever watched, especially since he had arm talent when he let it fly during NC in 2018, and a few other moments. I truly didn't enjoy watching him play, and this is where my Welch take comes in, watching him in 2019 was a breath of fresh air. He was everything Tommy wasnt, took chances, made some plays being flushed out, and ran for tough yards. In a lot of ways he played like Dungey just with a tiny fraction of the talent.

All that said, I don't believe Tommy didn't try, but he just was not good at being intuitive when the pocket broke down. Shrader in many ways has that ability, and hopefully his passing improves upon his really solid games like Virginia Tech and Pitt. Even when Schrader looked shaky it felt like all he needed was a single moment, like his deep throw to Alford against VT, or his 50 yard scramble against BC, or his TD drive to take Wake to OT where he scrambled around, and found Tucker for the TD. Some qbs can stink it up for a good portion of the game, but when its crunch time they turn it on.

When Clayton Welch outplayed him in 2019 those 'reasons' became excuses. I don't understand the affinity for Devito. Personally he seemed like a good kid, but I'd take a QB like Terel Hunt over a practice pretty QB like Devito. Some qbs have it, like Schrader in my opinion, others don't like Devito. Devito couldn't seem to rally the team, some qbs are leaders, I suspect Devito wasnt.

While Devito only had a so so year, how did Welch outplay him in 2019? Devito’s PFF grade for the season was better. His NFL rating was better. His completion percentage was 10% higher. And while Welch had a pretty good game vs Wake, Devito had 5 games with a better PFF grade than Welch’s vs Wake.

While Devito only had a so so year, how did Welch outplay him in 2019? Devito’s PFF grade for the season was better. His NFL rating was better. His completion percentage was 10% higher. And while Welch had a pretty good game vs Wake, Devito had 5 games with a better PFF grade than Welch’s vs Wake.
He’s not talking about rating and statistics lol he’s talking about the IT factor feel for the game. Winning mentality. Any means necessary. The thing the pundits never take into account because it doesn’t fit there rigid analytical view of the game.

Can you name a single game in 2019 that Devito was the reason we won? Liberty, Western Mich, Holy Cross and Duke.

The non P5 teams we would have won regardless of the qb, and Duke the running game went nuts, and won that game.

If Devito played vs Wake, we lose.

In fact, besides NC in 2018, was Devito the reason we won any of his games?

A poor OL with injuries. Poor WR group. A poor OC, game plan and play calling. Etc. For everyone else they are “reasons”. For Devito they are “excuses.
In 2019 he had almost the same WRs we had the year before. You could argue that Triston was an upgrade over Custis too, plus Taj and the slot guys were another year older. The slot guys fell off a cliff compared to what they produced the year before. I agree the line was not good that year, but using bad receivers as a “reason” seems odd. Beyond 2019 we did not add impact receivers, although Tommy still had Taj, who was an impact receiver despite his well discussed short comings. I would guess that Garrett would have liked having Taj to throw too as well.

We are naming such mediocre guys - Devito, Welch, Hunt and thus far for me anyway Schrader. The fact that we can list so many is the biggest reason why we are where we are.

Grades don’t win you games. On paper TD looked good, but he couldn’t lead us to points or Ws. That is all that matters.

He’s not talking about rating and statistics lol he’s talking about the IT factor feel for the game. Winning mentality. Any means necessary. The thing the pundits never take into account because it doesn’t fit there rigid analytical view of the game.
Stats or not Tommy wasn't very good at SU.

Grades don’t win you games. On paper TD looked good, but he couldn’t lead us to points or Ws. That is all that matters.
Actually, the betting line on his yards passing Saturday was 161.5. $100 win (ok, $95.37 net.)

Stats matter on things where no one really cares.

Its not about making a case for Welch, its about highlighting how bad Devito was. Watching him throw short passes when the team needed score at end of games. Everytime he was forced out of the pocket he never made a play in 3 years. Throwing the ball away, and unwilling to take chances when the team needed a spark. Watching him operate was the most frustrating QB I've ever watched, especially since he had arm talent when he let it fly during NC in 2018, and a few other moments. I truly didn't enjoy watching him play, and this is where my Welch take comes in, watching him in 2019 was a breath of fresh air. He was everything Tommy wasnt, took chances, made some plays being flushed out, and ran for tough yards. In a lot of ways he played like Dungey just with a tiny fraction of the talent.

All that said, I don't believe Tommy didn't try, but he just was not good at being intuitive when the pocket broke down. Shrader in many ways has that ability, and hopefully his passing improves upon his really solid games like Virginia Tech and Pitt. Even when Schrader looked shaky it felt like all he needed was a single moment, like his deep throw to Alford against VT, or his 50 yard scramble against BC, or his TD drive to take Wake to OT where he scrambled around, and found Tucker for the TD. Some qbs can stink it up for a good portion of the game, but when its crunch time they turn it on.
Welch and TD were not getting it done. One had enough arm talent to convince the staff he might put it together. It’s a testament to him arm that he stayed in QB1 as long as he did and moved on to start at another p5 school. He can be both someone who you want to start and a guy who won’t win you games *and* be better than Welch.

If there’s anyone to blame for this it’s Dino and his lack of a quality QB backup in 2019/2020. And I maintain that TD’s arm and pedigree scared quality backups away. It was a lose lose.

Welch and TD were not getting it done. One had enough arm talent to convince the staff he might put it together. It’s a testament to him arm that he stayed in QB1 as long as he did and moved on to start at another p5 school. He can be both someone who you want to start and a guy who won’t win you games *and* be better than Welch.

If there’s anyone to blame for this it’s Dino and his lack of a quality QB backup in 2019/2020. And I maintain that TD’s arm and pedigree scared quality backups away. It was a lose lose.
That's true. It was rough in 2019 and 2020. It's night and day the depth this year compared to then.

Been a Yankee fan my whole life, and when Girardi started managing according to stats New York became a bad team.
That's the problem with the games today, managers and coaches look at stat sheets and make the calls.
None of them have instincts about how players react.
The great coaches understand that stat sheets are really not an indication of the real game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom