The Dino Babers Show - before Boston College | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show - before Boston College

SWC75

Bored Historian

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 90 minutes, with the first hour being with Dino and the last half hour being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG (Update: this account seems to have closed.)
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

“Coach there’s been a lot of talk about our November record and lack of depth. It’s a problem we’ve had for a long time. Since 2005 we are 14-53 after Halloween and gone winless eight times. That’s with four different head coaches. We’re already losing people who have decided not to come back next year and have 10 commits for 2023. Our opponents, especially Florida State, have taken full advantage of the transfer portal to upgrade their talent and depth. How well positioned are we, in terms of NIL and available scholarships to do the same thing?”

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

The team’s schedule for tomorrow is that practice will end at 11:15 followed by a spread in the cafeteria. Then they’ll spread the players out to be hosted by coaches and their families for “Round 2”. Some might take their teammates home for that, as well. [This might add some needed heft to the defensive line.] The players also have more time to “take care of the owies in the training room” and to make up academic work. “they might be able to bounce out a couple of papers. They might have to do six of them a semester.

I called in my question. Dino said that there were things he wants to “keep in house. We have a good situation. It’s hard to start moving in one direction rather than another until we meet with the team next week. Then we’ll know who’s leaving and be able to decide if we want to look to the portal or reinvest in high school or junior college players.” Matt Park picked up the thread from there. “The portal is more wild than ever. St. John’s had 4 of 5 starters that started with some other school. For one reason or another there haven’t been as many SU transfers. Dino: “St. John [sic] is really unique. It takes time to blend individuals together. It’s really worked out for Florida State. We have to make sure their values are the values of our program.” Matt: “You could be importing other people’s problems.” Dino: “There are three types of transfers: the disgruntled type, those that weren’t getting the playing time they wanted and those in smaller leagues seeking better competition to improve his draft status.”

Matt asked how the conversations with players tend to go. DB: “I have an open-door policy. They usually know where they are going. Some want to ask questions. I give them honest answers, answers that are not just pro-Syracuse answers. They talk to their position coaches first and then their coordinators. It’s got to go through the chain of command. They can also get information from the NFL. That way they get the whole, unvarnished truth.” Is tampering a problem? “We tell them what is legal and isn’t.”

Dominick in North Carolina called to tell Dino a story about Boston College. He and his son were there for a baseball prospect’s camp. It was held on the football field and his son suddenly realized where they were standing. “This is the spot where Eric Dungy trucked that BC safety!” They all laughed at that and Dino recalled the play, which occurred in 2018. Dino mentioned that Eric had been drafted by an XFL team owned by “the Rock”, [Dwayne Johnson, not Prudential.]

Matt wanted a “Health Report” but it quickly became a discussion of how the back-ups played. Matt noted our opening 75 yard scoring drive and said that the patched up line “played OK”. Dino: “They did some things good. We also made mistakes. The next time will be an indicator of whether the arrow is pointing up or down. It was hard staying up with their offense. We’ll wait and see with the medical people. Cohesiveness is needed. It’s a big deal when you’ve got three new guys, (or guys who have changed positions) on your offensive line. We take pride in “the next man up”. It’s the way we were raised. We have to coach everyone, not just the starters.”

Virginia canceled it’s remaining game with Virginia Tech due to the shootings there. Coaches Anae and Beck wore the Virginia school colors in honor of the players they’d help recruit and coached. Matt mused that it would been hard to take time off and then “gear up” for another game.

They previewed Boston College, whose current quarterback, Emmett Morehead, had passed for exactly 330 yards against both Duke and NC State before the Eagles became road kill in South Bend last week. (Garret Shrader passed for 324 against Wake Forest.) “He’s really coming on.” Their star receiver, Zay Flowers, has 70 receptions for 965 yards and 10 scores. “He can make….numerous plays”. Dino apologized for being distracted, (I suspect by a tray of food). BC lost to Connecticut, beat NC State – ending a 16 game home winning streak - and then “goose-necked” (Matt’s term) at Notre Dame. “Who is BC?” Dino: “I’m not sure. You prepare for a team at their best but what is their best? They’re trying to figure it out”.

Matt said that SU “didn’t have to apologize” for the 6-0 start. “It was legit. Louisville has made the playoff committee top 25. Connecticut is bowl eligible. Purdue is tied for first in the Big Ten west. NC State is 7-4. We’ve played 9 bowl eligible teams. [I’ll add that the five losses have included road games at Clemson and the teams that played for the ACC title last year and home games against blue-bloods Notre Dame and Florida State, who are functioning on all cylinders.] Dino said that we’ve got the 5th toughest schedule in the country.

What held the team together? “Togetherness.” [I would never have guessed.] “We made a pledge back in the summer to play together. The captains did a great job during the summer. We had one bad game. We enjoy each other’s company.” They recently went to the Black Panther sequel as a team. Dino said that he’s usually very opinionated about movies but couldn’t decide if he liked this one or the original better.

They brought on Deon Maddox “to talk about recruiting”. Deon is in charge of “player development and alumni relations” and that’s what he talked about: “all things that it takes to develop a young man off the field. So many people are wrapped up with making it in the NFL but look at the SU players who have become executives. Some have played for 3 years but then had administrative careers that have lasted 20 years. We have them all over. Justin Outen has become the Bronco’s offensive coordinator.” [Do you really want that on your resume?]

“Know Ball. Love Ball”

[Matt thought there might be a possibility of another show before the bowl game.]

Last edited:
What did you expect him to say? "We are going to tell players X, Y, and Z to hit the streets?" :rolleyes:
Well no, I just thought he’d at least say unequivocally that theyd be looking to shore up positions of need

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom