"The Dome roof" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"The Dome roof"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I read that those types of roofs aren’t even made anymore and that it’s not even an option to put another one of those on? I thought it was just a matter of which type of hard top roof?

They aren't available by the manufacturer anymore so as I understand they'd have to go the custom made route which would be quite a bit more expensive. The fact that the manufacturer chose to make the roof obsolete and close off a 15 million sale, just proves how costly the liability for the sale is.

Very true. And if we don’t have the benjamins, all things acknowledged and considered, then it doesn’t bode well for the future of the program. IMO.
We have plenty of Bens

kcsu I think you are reading too much into this. It was a Signing Day interview so most of the focus wasn't on the Dome renovation. If you go back and listen to the interview again Wildhack says the roof is the first step in the renovation.
step two will likely be a discussion of what step two may be. after a 5year discussion of it, the actual physical action will be step 3.

I feel like I read that those types of roofs aren’t even made anymore and that it’s not even an option to put another one of those on? I thought it was just a matter of which type of hard top roof?
I seem to recall Bird Air did the last roof. I do remember the panels not being available anymore, although it certainly looks like bird air has some manufacturing capability. When Minnesota had their roof problem, I think we shipped them a spare panel. Hopefully, we reclaimed a few of their panels when they took their dome down.

SU also wants air conditioning, so they need to put a hard roof on the dome. They already promised this two years ago.

The Dome is locked up on all sides by buildings and the road that crosses ESF. Wider concourses I don't think will happen as I can't see where the extra room is to expand. The best bet they had was pre-law school building. Build on that big area and make a grand atrium.
Understood. I guess I mean in reference to some of the “proposed” things in the drawings. Like open air concourses, glass walls, whatever. Even without a change in footprint, it is unlikely anything “different” downstairs would not affect the installation of a new lid. If they put the new lid first, it would limit any changes below.

Understood. I guess I mean in reference to some of the “proposed” things in the drawings. Like open air concourses, glass walls, whatever. Even without a change in footprint, it is unlikely anything “different” downstairs would not affect the installation of a new lid. If they put the new lid first, it would limit any changes below.
I listened to the video again and he didn't say they would put a new roof on first but rather make a decision on the roof. Also, and I don't know a thing, but it doesn't have to be a decision between a hard top and another inflatable. It could just be a decision on style of hard roof.

SU also wants air conditioning, so they need to put a hard roof on the dome. They already promised this two years ago.
Air conditioning schmair conditioning! Do you have any idea how much that will cost?!!! Installation...$!operating costs... $$!!maintenance... $$$!!!liability!!!$$$$!!!! My keister just puckered up tighter than a copper nail in a block of locust wood thinking about it!

Was reading this thread when I came home, I opened the door to my dog who let out a long "woooOOF!" and for a second, I thought he was reading my mind.

The problem with multi phase projects is they can stop after just the first phase. Cuomo is in an election year - this is an opportunity for Walsh to make a name for himself and step out of his dads shadow.
Cuomo is giving everything away as he preparing his run for President. Now's the time to ask.
Andy's motto: Nothing is too expensive for the NY tax payers.

There will be a new roof, a different roof, a better roof that we can all stand behind and under.
It better dang well be that multicolored thingy they first put out there. Nothing less.

Do something special.

The current roof has some gross - almost rust like - blemishes on it. It's been a while since I've had to time to just look around the Dome. There's many things that need to be done.

Here's to hoping there's good news coming soon

giphy (2).gif

Fix the roof, keep putting lipstick on it and go from there. The city, the school, the state don't have the stomach or money to do anything more than the bare minimum. I'm fine with this btw. I've said it ad nauseum, the uniqueness of SU is the Dome on campus. If they can't retrofit it there, just make it as nice as possible and allocate funds elsewhere on campus.

Agree about the Benjamins. But if we are being 100% transparent, it also comes down to the level of commitment from SU and simply being content with their place. Simplistically, my understanding is that with the move to the ACC, SU is getting nearly 20 million/year more than when in the Big East. SU has now been in the ACC for 5 years. Additionally, with the ACC Network allegedly on the horizon, this increases SU's conference affiliation win fall.
I realize that SU has spent some coin recently in locker rooms, additional coaches, etc., but again, with now an approximate 20 million additional annually, it would appear that SU has the coin to take on a larger scope Dome renovation.

Honestly, SU should count its lucky stars every single day and twice on Sunday's for the - gift of a lifetime - invite to the ACC. Otherwise, as many here enjoy to wallow in UConn's seemingly demise, that just as easily could've been Syracuse University. People can poo-poo the recent Syracuse.com article about recruits and their apparent ranking of P5 schools, etc., but the perception of Syracuse is likely just that. SU has been irrelevant in football for a long long time now. I really don't see it changing a whole bunch, as again, the university is seemingly content being nothing more than a BC, Wake, Duke, etc. on the field, although, remaining well behind the aforementioned academic standing of those schools.

when I say benjamins, I mean donated ones.

I dont get why you cant rig up some kind of fancy roof that does not attach to the dome at all, where you have the support stuff outside the perimeter and pretty much built before you even take the roof down and then extend the steel over the top from March to Sept. over 7 months. You really wouldnt need to completely seal the sides until the following year. and you could reno the bball side one year and the fball side the next .

I would be happy if they just came out and said its a money thing or a design thing or both instead of hints of potential.

I dont get why you cant rig up some kind of fancy roof that does not attach to the dome at all, where you have the support stuff outside the perimeter and pretty much built before you even take the roof down and then extend the steel over the top from March to Sept. over 7 months. You really wouldnt need to completely seal the sides until the following year. and you could reno the bball side one year and the fball side the next .

I would be happy if they just came out and said its a money thing or a design thing or both instead of hints of potential.
ask Retro44. They don't make a crane that will hoist a roof up from that far out. Need something in the middle. It's going to be messy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.