"The Dome roof" | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

"The Dome roof"

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the uncertainty considering college sports particularly with the unknown concussion liability, possibility of payments to athletes, the cost of replacing a long term hall of fame basketball coach, the unrest and increasing criticism of the role of athletics in college etc (just read these boards as an example)- personally I can understand the delay and incessant study of the possible impacts. Couple all this with the new NYS subsidies for public college education and its long term financial influence on enrollment, demographics and finances at NYS private colleges not counting the tax law changes effecting donations and premium ticket sales, I'm surprised that anyone is surprised that there is uncertainty and confusion about the scope for such a huge financial commitment by the university.

They will figure it out but it is probably even more important than ever they get enough commitments by big $ donors to mitigate the increasing risks associated with such a project.
Exactly...well said

Geez ... who would have thought that attempting an expedited, complex roof replacement for a combination basketball/football arena in a tight footprint would run into complications and cost issues.

They never should have backed themselves into a corner with self-imposed restrictions.

Exactly...well said

its certainly a lot to consider, but my response would be, if su admin doesn't have confidence in its athletic department and fan support, why should any of the fans? im not favoring rash decisions but we need to do something special here, not a cheap fix. lets build a world class stadium.

its certainly a lot to consider, but my response would be, if su admin doesn't have confidence in its athletic department and fan support, why should any of the fans? im not favoring rash decisions but we need to do something special here, not a cheap fix. lets build a world class stadium.
"World Class" = at least $1B

Why world class? It’s a college venue and will be obsolete in 20 years

Some of you guys are looking for a pro style stadium/arena. Louisville did that with the yum center, passed it off as government authority and they are paying off double what the stadium cost with taxpayer money.

Some of you guys are looking for a pro style stadium/arena. Louisville did that with the yum center, passed it off as government authority and they are paying off double what the stadium cost with taxpayer money.
I am looking for the $105M fixed roof hopefully covered with ETFE for more light. If they can also do the $100M of improvements they talked about I'd be very happy. I will settle for the roof and some A/C though.

Right. But no one has really said they will spend $400M. I think the talk from SU has been around $205M with the roof costing $105M of that.
I thought ADA compliance alone was $200M+ and the believe is that once they touch the seating "bowl" ADA requirements kick in.

Speculation but expect some type of hard roof, air conditioning and a superstructure that will support wider concourses as part of Phase I.
Secondary would be lighting, sound and WiFi improvements.

With wider concourses and spaces to congregate improvements to concessions capabilities could follow in relatively short order.

I thought ADA compliance alone was $200M+ and the believe is that once they touch the seating "bowl" ADA requirements kick in.

Speculation but expect some type of hard roof, air conditioning and a superstructure that will support wider concourses as part of Phase I.
Secondary would be lighting, sound and WiFi improvements.

With wider concourses and spaces to congregate improvements to concessions capabilities could follow in relatively short order.
In 2016, SU laid out the costs. $105M for the roof.

"Along with the roof project, there will be approximately $100 million worth of renovations to help upgrade the dome's facilities and meet Americans with Disabilities Act guidelines for mobility and accessibility."

Why world class? It’s a college venue and will be obsolete in 20 years

I meant world class for quality. We dont need a 100k plus stadium but a really nice 45k one with a retractable roof and top notch amenities. That wont be obselte in 20 years. The dome isnt obselete now. The more they cheap out on it however the more quickly it will become outdated.

I meant world class for quality. We dont need a 100k plus stadium but a really nice 45k one with a retractable roof and top notch amenities. That wont be obselte in 20 years. The dome isnt obselete now. The more they cheap out on it however the more quickly it will become outdated.

A retractable roof is a whole new stadium. The Dome isn't built for drainage (if the roof doesn't close in time). No college has that.

A retractable roof is a whole new stadium. The Dome isn't built for drainage (if the roof doesn't close in time). No college has that.

Yea id wish they went w that option when it was a possibility.

Right. But no one has really said they will spend $400M. I think the talk from SU has been around $205M with the roof costing $105M of that.
One possibility short of a new build or a total makeover is that they would use the new roof supports to expand the concourse space outside the existing footprint (on the campus/North) side. This would be a step beyond the minimal work already discussed - the roof ($105M) and ADA compliance ($100M). Widening the footprint with steel and installing glass (which would entail connecting the floors and cutting into the structure to open it up) is not necessarily cost prohibitive. Northwestern's project was $260M.

Will Northwestern's $260 million lakefront facility reel in more talent?

One possibility short of a new build or a total makeover is that they would use the new roof supports to expand the concourse space outside the existing footprint (on the campus/North) side. This would be a step beyond the minimal work already discussed - the roof ($105M) and ADA compliance ($100M). Widening the footprint with steel and installing glass (which would entail connecting the floors and cutting into the structure to open it up) is not necessarily cost prohibitive. Northwestern's project was $260M.

Will Northwestern's $260 million lakefront facility reel in more talent?
I have thought all along that adding the corridors like this makes sense. It will cost more so I would expect it to be in a later stage if it ever gets done.

You weren't getting a retractable roof for $27 Million back in 1979.

Whatdya mean, they built those things great and under budget back then!
jk99-0118ohole2-ci-jan-18-99-a-big-hole-in-the-roof-of-the-o.jpeg

I meant the county proposal
Meh, it wasn't a county proposal, I don't think, but a development charade cooked up by some crooked developers, Cuomo, and Joanie Mahoney. The school wasn't much interested in it because it wasn't on campus, and the city (Miner) was against it because the sketched out plan didn't have any plan to pay for the required city infrastructure improvements.

That "plan" was more or less DOA.

I can see scenarios where college football is not an option for some of these private universities in Northeast in 20 or so years.
With a “decent” Dome upgrade, Syracuse would be in place to be the only real football program north of PA.

Mine was a sarcastic joke about Montreal's retractable roof from that era.

But SU's current roof has never come down since it was installed in 1999.
Yep, misread the link. But according to the article, by 2010 the roof had been "deliberately deflated" at least 5 times as a safety measure due to snow load .

1997-12-30-mk-dome-deflatejpg-ece6571e3a617ab9.jpg

Last edited:
Meh, it wasn't a county proposal, I don't think, but a development charade cooked up by some crooked developers, Cuomo, and Joanie Mahoney. The school wasn't much interested in it because it wasn't on campus, and the city (Miner) was against it because the sketched out plan didn't have any plan to pay for the required city infrastructure improvements.

That "plan" was more or less DOA.
I think the school would have loved to get out of the business of owning and running a stadium and all the costs/headaches involved. They would have loved just being a tenant v. shelling out a few hundred million clams.

Status
Not open for further replies.