"The Dome roof" | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

"The Dome roof"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The BOT hasn’t voted yet.
As I recall, the BOT always has a meeting in conjunction with the graduation ceremonies.

Graduation is May 13th, so I think a BOT is imminent. It sure sounds like there will be a really important decision to be made regarding the Dome renovation at this meeting. The time of reckoning is nigh upon us!

Or maybe no decision will be made and that will lead to the disappointment.

The BOT hasn’t voted yet.
They were going to vote in April then it got postponed. My guess: I doubt the vote was postponed so the BOT could announce after 4 years that fundraising has tanked and they're going to install an obsolete roof with a short life-span and inherent safety problems.

Last edited:
They were going to vote in April then it got postponed. My guess: I doubt the vote was postponed so the BOT could announce after 4 years that fundraising has tanked and they're going to install an obsolete roof with a short life-span and inherent safety problems.

Or it was postponed because they thought that they had financing/a major donor lined up and that fell through. Who knows.

The only thing that would make me VERY disappointed would be a replacement air supported roof and I am reasonably certain that is NOT what will go before the BOT.

Perhaps you will just be underwhelmed

Perhaps you will just be underwhelmed
So a new roof of some sort with some minor renovations and any major interior renovation put off for another day seems to be the most likely outcome at this point.

It’s the part most people seem to miss!

With all the uncertainty considering college sports particularly with the unknown concussion liability, possibility of payments to athletes, the cost of replacing a long term hall of fame basketball coach, the unrest and increasing criticism of the role of athletics in college etc (just read these boards as an example)- personally I can understand the delay and incessant study of the possible impacts. Couple all this with the new NYS subsidies for public college education and its long term financial influence on enrollment, demographics and finances at NYS private colleges not counting the tax law changes effecting donations and premium ticket sales, I'm surprised that anyone is surprised that there is uncertainty and confusion about the scope for such a huge financial commitment by the university.

They will figure it out but it is probably even more important than ever they get enough commitments by big $ donors to mitigate the increasing risks associated with such a project.

With all the uncertainty considering college sports particularly with the unknown concussion liability, possibility of payments to athletes, the cost of replacing a long term hall of fame basketball coach, the unrest and increasing criticism of the role of athletics in college etc (just read these boards as an example)- personally I can understand the delay and incessant study of the possible impacts. Couple all this with the new NYS subsidies for public college education and its long term financial influence on enrollment, demographics and finances at NYS private colleges not counting the tax law changes effecting donations and premium ticket sales, I'm surprised that anyone is surprised that there is uncertainty and confusion about the scope for such a huge financial commitment by the university.

They will figure it out but it is probably even more important than ever they get enough commitments by big $ donors to mitigate the increasing risks associated with such a project.

This is a great post. The era of big college is probably on the way down and Syracuse may be best suited to do absolutely nothing except immediate fixes. I can see scenarios where college football is not an option for some of these private universities in Northeast in 20 or so years.

Can't spend $400 mil if you don't have $400 mil.
Right. But no one has really said they will spend $400M. I think the talk from SU has been around $205M with the roof costing $105M of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.