The Express | Syracusefan.com

The Express

310Pigpen

Starter
I know this topic probably comes up a lot but I watched it for the first time last night on BET and thought it was a terrific movie and Ernie Davis seemed like a great, great person. I have a few questions, how much of that movie is factual? How much was filmed in Syracuse? Anybody here remember what the reaction was when they found out he died?

There's alot of it that isn't factual. Biggest one being the WVU game... was played in Syracuse that year so all that racism scene is made up.

From all accounts Coach wasn't any sort of racist himself either.

Also, the hotel thing in Texas I believe (anyone correct me?) was completely made up as well. If a hotel wouldn't allow the team to stay in the same accomodations they wouldn't have stayed there.

There's alot of it that isn't factual. Biggest one being the WVU game... was played in Syracuse that year so all that racism scene is made up.

Also, the hotel thing in Texas I believe (anyone correct me?) was completely made up as well. If a hotel wouldn't allow the team to stay in the same accomodations they wouldn't have stayed there.
That's disappointing, I hate how movies have to make stuff up. I guess if I want facts I should just read a book lol.

#mce_temp_url# This is the link for what many have said is the most factual account of Ernie. It was written by one of his childhood friends from Elmira that went to SU with him as well.

How much was filmed in Syracuse?

Most of the movie was filmed in Chicago. That includes the football sequences that were supposedly at home- Those were shot at Northwestern's Field.

That's disappointing, I hate how movies have to make stuff up. I guess if I want facts I should just read a book lol.

It's a movie! Facts are usually boring and dull and there is no story in them. Not enough for 90 minutes at least. Even the horse move about Secretariat made stuff up and was damn near all incorrect aside from the fact the horse won the races! The best part was the movie company came out before it was released and said don't send us nasty letters saying this is not true or that never happened, we know its a movie. Just enjoy it. They got out in front of that. The people with the express should have done the same.

Probably in the minority here, but I thought it stunk. If it were another school and not Syracuse that was front and center how many here would think it was a great movie? I'm guessing not many.

That said it was a movie that probably had to get made, I just wish it was as deserving as it should've been.

Probably in the minority here, but I thought it stunk. If it were another school and not Syracuse that was front and center how many here would think it was a great movie? I'm guessing not many.

That said it was a movie that probably had to get made, I just wish it was as deserving as it should've been.
I actually agree. There was something there to make a movie about, but they totally missed on it with that movie. At very long stretches its very boring and dull. They hit on the cliche's. Racist south, inter-racial couple dating being looked down on. I mean just stuff we have seen a billion times they spent too much time on that. The movie had zero depth at all. And in a movie where damn near everyone knows the ending before watching it (ala Titanic) they needed to do more. I don't know, I'm no hollywood writer but the movie was missing something. Ernie did die at 23 and even though he had a pretty full life up until that point doing a full motion picture on someone who only lived 23 years is tough. I mean he played football, first african american to win the Heisman, got sick and died would be your "main" plot points for the movie. Tough to stretch that out for 2 hours.

I'm sure for many Syracuse fans or residents who just get "geeked" to see the words Syracuse on the big screen they enjoyed it. But overall it wasn't an exciting movie. And when ranking all time sports movies its nowhere near the Top 20 or Top 25. Not even close.

I actually agree. There was something there to make a movie about, but they totally missed on it with that movie. At very long stretches its very boring and dull. They hit on the cliche's. Racist south, inter-racial couple dating being looked down on. I mean just stuff we have seen a billion times they spent too much time on that. The movie had zero depth at all. And in a movie where damn near everyone knows the ending before watching it (ala Titanic) they needed to do more. I don't know, I'm no hollywood writer but the movie was missing something. Ernie did die at 23 and even though he had a pretty full life up until that point doing a full motion picture on someone who only lived 23 years is tough. I mean he played football, first african american to win the Heisman, got sick and died would be your "main" plot points for the movie. Tough to stretch that out for 2 hours.

I'm sure for many Syracuse fans or residents who just get "geeked" to see the words Syracuse on the big screen they enjoyed it. But overall it wasn't an exciting movie. And when ranking all time sports movies its nowhere near the Top 20 or Top 25. Not even close.
Spot on. I consider myself a movie buff and love the whole movie making process. What should've been a triumphant and tragic film was for the most part dull and lacking.

Spot on. I consider myself a movie buff and love the whole movie making process. What should've been a triumphant and tragic film was for the most part dull and lacking.

They essentially mimicked the script of the "Jackie Robinson Story" and plugged in football stuff. The movie was awful.

I like the movie as a movie and nothing more. But to call it factual and based on his life is an absolute joke, especially with the racial tension they put in there. Elmira and Syracuse were two huge abolitionist hubs and remained extremely progressive all the way through the civil rights movement. Many of Ernie's best friends in Elmira were white from everything I have heard, and he never really faced racism while at SU (except when they traveled of course).

I know this topic probably comes up a lot but I watched it for the first time last night on BET and thought it was a terrific movie and Ernie Davis seemed like a great, great person. I have a few questions, how much of that movie is factual? How much was filmed in Syracuse? Anybody here remember what the reaction was when they found out he died?
to answer your question about how much was filmed in syracuse, barely any. outside of the scenes that you see the SU campus, thats about it. So all in all about 7 minutes of actual movie were shot here.

It was an okay movie. It wasn't great, though. It's deserving of the 61 rating it has on Rotten Tomatoes.

It was an okay movie. It wasn't great, though. It's deserving of the 61 rating it has on Rotten Tomatoes.
I enjoyed it for the obvious reasons and will watch it again, but I think the fact it is airing on BET says all we need to say.

Since aechibld S
tadium is gone, not much could be filmed at Syracuse except the campus walking scenes. Pretty much accurate except the West Virginia game crap. We didn't play them in Morgan town in '59. The Texas episode was accurate Spitting racial slurs by the Longhorn players and fans. I don't recall the part about Ernie being injured in the game. I think he went into the game a bit dinged and the caught that record long pass and run. The whole leukemia part was unfortunately very accurate as was his early death. Te dream backfield of Davis and Jim Brown was never seen. Could Ernie have been more effective than Bobby Mitchell? Who knows??for those who lived in that time it was highly emotional. I don't recall one single negative word ever spoken about that kid.:(

not completly true. In the years previous to it if as told by the players in various interviews I've seen or read they recount that very treatment they show in the movie. Not that year as you note but something along those lines did actually happen in the year or two previously as they recounted it. So its a typical movie compendum of events. Pretty sure something happened similiar with the hotel too but just don't recall the specifics on that one.

As for the movie, wish it was better. Not bad but could've packed more of a emotional and historic punch no doubt.

actually the football scenes were filmed at a high school in chicago, not at northwestern. i drove by the field one time when they filming. i can't remember the name of the school but it was a smaller version of what archibold looked like.

after the lacrosse game yesterday there was a show on SNY that was a discussion on ernie davis. the panel included len berman, frank deford, dave bing, billy hunter, art monk, marv albert, mike garrett and maybe one other person. i did not get to see the entire show but the things the panelists stressed was what a great person ernie davis was. he came from a strong family. dave bing mentioned this point as one of the largest issues facing our society. bing mentioned that davis was very influential in recruiting him to syracuse.

Still not sure why they said he went to Elmira High School instead of Elmira Free Academy. Seems like a very easy thing to get right.

Thanks for the answers everyone! Is anyone here old enough to remember what the public reaction was when the news came out that he had leukemia?

Thanks for the answers everyone! Is anyone here old enough to remember what the public reaction was when the news came out that he had leukemia?
You can probably ask CTO, she knew Ernie and his girlfriend if I'm not mistaken.

actually the football scenes were filmed at a high school in chicago, not at northwestern. i drove by the field one time when they filming. i can't remember the name of the school but it was a smaller version of what archibold looked like.

after the lacrosse game yesterday there was a show on SNY that was a discussion on ernie davis. the panel included len berman, frank deford, dave bing, billy hunter, art monk, marv albert, mike garrett and maybe one other person. i did not get to see the entire show but the things the panelists stressed was what a great person ernie davis was. he came from a strong family. dave bing mentioned this point as one of the largest issues facing our society. bing mentioned that davis was very influential in recruiting him to syracuse.

The school is a vocational tech school walking distance down the street from where Donovan's dad worked at ComEd. (Corner of Addison and California) I had an office down the hall from him when I consulted for them. It was my weekly commute. Flew back and forth to Syracuse with Donovan a few times, and with Sam and Wilma for the McMac Ball (McNabb, McPherson, MacPherson fundraiser). Sam looks at me, are you going tonight? I am like sure, as soon as he is out of earshot I call my wife and tell her to grab a tux from the shop (we had been recently married). Took her to the fund raiser 8 months preggo and somehow told Rob Conrad that I would allow my wife to give birth to his fb children. Given her state, I am not sure what he thought of that.

but there is a Syracuse connection to that field... well kinda...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom