5. Aaron Rodgers
6. Dan Marino
7. Brett Favre
8. Steve Young
9. Drew Brees
10. Dan Fouts

Also receiving votes: Roethlisberger, Warner, Aikman, Moon, Kelly, Eli

The GOAT Index: NFL coaches, execs rank modern-era QBs

I'm biased but I think McNabb was just as good as any in the others receiving votes category, and I'm not saying he's better but there's at least an argument to be made for him vs. all those guys in that category.

I'd flip 2 & 3.
Montana was great in the regular season AND the playoffs.
Manning - not so much the latter part.

I still think Farve is overrated.
And Steve Young criminally underrated, since he spent time in the USFL and then holding a clipboard for Montana, rather than getting to play all of those years in the NFL. Combo of LB size, RB athleticism, QB smarts and skills.
(of course, he then might not have been w/ San Fran, so who knows the overall impact that might've had on his career results?)

Good list. I think Rodgers will end up there, but I'd give Marino that 5 spot for now. Eli received votes? That was a surprise. I think I'd have to give Montana the nod over Peyton, on post season victories, alone. Good arguments for the top 3, either way.

Not a bad list , staubach ?
Looks like the list is from "the persistence of memory" (sorry Salvador Dali) as these are mostly recent names. Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Fran Tarkenton, Len Dawson, Y. A. Tittle, Sammy Baugh, Sonny Jurgensen - say what?

Tony Dungey didn't include Joe Montana or Tom Brady in his top 5.
LOL

I'm biased but I think McNabb was just as good as any in the others receiving votes category, and I'm not saying he's better but there's at least an argument to be made for him vs. all those guys in that category.

McNabb wouldn't make a list of the Top 20

I would flip Rodgers and Marino on that list but the list is generally pretty good I think

McNabb wouldn't make a list of the Top 20

I would flip Rodgers and Marino on that list but the list is generally pretty good I think

Since '78 he's 20th in passing yards, 22nd in passing TDs, 5th in rushing yards for QBs, and he carried the offense on a perennial contender for years with few weapons...if he's not top 20 since '78, I'd like to see your #11-20.

I love how bitter the ex-Colts people like Bill Polian and Tony Dungey are. Wade Philips tells it like it is.

New England spent to build depth across the board. Brady is going to be the only sure fire HOF from team. Vinatieri and Ty Law are bubble HOFers. New England didn't spend the majority of its cap on weapons like Marvin Harrison. Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Edgerin James.

When Brady had weapons like 2007 he showed he could do what Manning did. If you want to say John Elway was a better QB than Brady or Rodgers could end up 1 okay. Give me a break trying to rationalize Peyton better.

Since '78 he's 20th in passing yards, 22nd in passing TDs, 5th in rushing yards for QBs, and he carried the offense on a perennial contender for years with few weapons...if he's not top 20 since '78, I'd like to see your #11-20.

Easy (In no special order here are 10 QB's better than McNabb since 1978 that would make up my 11-20 rankings.)
Eli Manning
Jim Kelly
Troy Aikman
Drew Bledsoe
Kurt Warner
Phil Simms
Cam Newton
Warren Moon
Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger

To me McNabb is in the next group of 20-30 which includes the likes of Ken Anderson, Tony Romo, Carson Palmer, Randall Cunningham, Boomer Esiason..etc.

Phillip Rivers and Cam Newton are not better than McNabb, give me a break.

Cam has a lot more to prove, Rivers has had a hell of a career, I know this is an su board,but Rivers/Mcnabb is really close.

Cam has a lot more to prove, Rivers has had a hell of a career, I know this is an su board,but Rivers/Mcnabb is really close.

Always thought Rivers had a lot more to play with than McNabb, while facing much weaker defenses. That's just my opinion though.

Always thought Rivers had a lot more to play with than McNabb, while facing much weaker defenses. That's just my opinion though.

I know that Rivers got to play with LT and Gates, but hes been on some really bad teams later in his career.

I know that Rivers got to play with LT and Gates, but hes been on some really bad teams later in his career.

Regardless, he's had plenty of opportunities to separate and prove himself, and I've felt as if he's been pretty bad in those given opportunities. I admire his playing through injuries though.

Regardless, he's had plenty of opportunities to separate and prove himself, and I've felt as if he's been pretty bad in those given opportunities. I admire his playing through injuries though.

You don't think he has separated himself and proven himself to be a very good qb?

So hard to fairly compare apples to apples ,
Passer was dan Marino
Gun slinger Elway and favre
Pros pros Brady , Montana , Payton , breeze aikman
Athletic passers, young staubach mcnabb vick
honorable mention , moon , rivers , Kelley , Gannon , Big Ben , Eli , Ryan , Simms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom