The GOAT Index: NFL coaches, execs rank best QBs since 1978 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The GOAT Index: NFL coaches, execs rank best QBs since 1978

Steve Young at #8 is criminal. He's the 2nd best QB of all time.
Who is Steve Young #2 behind? And do we not count his Tampa Bay years?

Phillip Rivers and Cam Newton are not better than McNabb, give me a break.

It's not even close Newton is a better player.
  • Newton won a league MVP . McNabb never did.
  • McNabb had 29 rushing TD's in 13 years. Newton has 48 in 6 years.
  • Newton also was an All Pro once, McNabb never was.
  • Newton so far in his career has had 3 seasons already of passing for 3,800 or more yards in a season. McNabb only did that twice in his career.
  • Newton had a year where he pass/ran for 45 total touchdowns. McNabb never had a year anywhere close to that level approaching that kind of number.

Newton already has had a better career with more accomplishments and he has many years in front of him still to go to just add on to it.

Rivers is going to Canton when all is said and done and to say his career is below McNabb's is just not factual. Rivers had had 8 years passing over 4,000 yards in a season. McNabb had ZERO! Rivers has thrown for 100 more TD's in his 11 year career than McNabb did in his 13 year career. It's not even close comparing those two.

Last edited:
  • Newton so far in his career has had 3 seasons already of passing for 3,800 or more yards in a season. McNabb only did that twice in his career.
  • Newton had a year where he pass/ran for 45 total touchdowns. McNabb never had a year anywhere close to that level approaching that kind of number.

Newton already has had a better career with more accomplishments and he has many years in front of him still to go to just add on to it.

Rivers is going to Canton when all is said and done and to say his career is below McNabb's is just not factual. Rivers had had 8 years passing over 4,000 yards in a season. McNabb had ZERO! Rivers has thrown for 100 more TD's in his 11 year career than McNabb did in his 13 year career. It's not even close comparing those two.

Please. Cam is so overrated it isn't funny. Huge difference in stats compared to 15 years ago. Just look at Brady. Can't get his team in the playoffs at bear the rate of McNabb.

Since Brady and Palmer had their knees taken out in 2008 QBs have been protected Big time.

QB stats have exploded since 2008.
I have a hard time putting McNabb in the top 15 but maybe can squeeze him into the top 20.

Eli doesn't deserve any votes he has never been an all-pro QB for even one season first or second team.

Different eras.

I believe you are wrong about the All-Pro.

My list would be
1. Tom Brady
2. Joe Montana
3. John Elway
4. Peyton Manning
5. Dan Marino
6. Aaron Rodgers
7. Steve Young
8. Drew Brees
9. Brett Favre
10. Troy Aikman
11. Ben Rothlisberger
12. Warren Moon
13. Dan Fouts
14. Jim Kelly
15. Kurt Warner
16. Randall Cunningham
17. Philip Rivers
18. Cam Newton
19. Eli Manning
20. Donovan McNabb or Boomer Esasion.

I couldn't put Rich Gannon.

I used wins, SB wins, stats, all pro status for my list.
I put Warner 15th because he was stupidly elected as a HOFer all above him are HOFers or locks. You must pass Warner and Kaiser Eli Manning hasn't passed Warner yet.

Last edited:
My list would be
1. Tom Brady
2. Joe Montana
3. John Elway
4. Peyton Manning
5. Dan Marino
6. Aaron Rodgers
7. Steve Young
8. Drew Brees
9. Brett Favre
10. Troy Aikman
11. Ben Rothlisberger
12. Warren Moon
13. Dan Fouts
14. Jim Kelly
15. Kurt Warner
16. Randall Cunningham
17. Philip Rivers
18. Cam Newton
19. Eli Manning
20. Donovan McNabb or Boomer Esasion.

I couldn't put Rich Gannon.

I used wins, SB wins, stats, all pro status for my list.
I put Warner 15th because he was stupidly elected as a HOFer all above him are HOFers or locks. You must pass Warner and Kaiser Eli Manning hasn't passed Warner yet.
great list I kinda agree for the most part, But Boomer sucked ( best play fake guy ever though ) Cam is way to in accurate , and don't forget we are now a pass friendly league , again its hard to compare system's, decades, teammates . officiating , etc if I had to choose a couple qbs to start a team today it would be Rodgers, Elway, Montana , Marino, Brady

Different eras.

I believe you are wrong about the All-Pro.

1) Newton was an All Pro in 2015 the same year he won the MVP. McNabb was NEVER an All-Pro. 2015 All-Pro team: Analysis of the first-team roster

2) Newton/McNabb are from the same era. The era's split when the rule changes came into effect which was the early 2000's. Marino and Aikman is the previous era. McNabb, Big Ben, Newton, Eli, Peyton, Rivers, Brady...etc...THIS ERA! By that logic then Peyton would be considered from the "previous era" (same as Marino and Aikman) which would be silly to say. Because he and McNabb had pretty much the same careers time frame wise. They entered the NFL a year apart. Newton and McNabb are the same era which is the pass happy era we are talking about. McNabb played in the pass-happy NFL era for his entire career. And whoever said Cam is too inaccurate...Career Completion %...McNabb 59% Newton 58.4%. Literally decimal points apart and they are equal in that one category. So if Cam is inaccurate (which I don't agree with that statement) then by that logic so was McNabb. So to use that statement to prop up McNabb and bring down Newton just doesn't fly!

The numbers don't lie folks, Newton is light years ahead of McNabb and a much better QB and it's not even really that close. The rushing numbers alone since both QB's were known for using their legs as a weapon...Newton has far superior numbers just on the ground and that has nothing to do with rule changes.

Last edited:
great list I kinda agree for the most part, But Boomer sucked ( best play fake guy ever though ) Cam is way to in accurate , and don't forget we are now a pass friendly league , again its hard to compare system's, decades, teammates . officiating , etc if I had to choose a couple qbs to start a team today it would be Rodgers, Elway, Montana , Marino, Brady

Boomer did not suck, had a very good career.

1) Newton was an All Pro in 2015 the same year he won the MVP. McNabb was NEVER an All-Pro. 2015 All-Pro team: Analysis of the first-team roster

2) Newton/McNabb are from the same era. The era's split when the rule changes came into effect which was the early 2000's. Marino and Aikman is the previous era. McNabb, Big Ben, Newton, Eli, Peyton, Rivers, Brady...etc...THIS ERA! By that logic then Peyton would be considered from the "previous era" (same as Marino and Aikman) which would be silly to say. Because he and McNabb had pretty much the same careers time frame wise. They entered the NFL a year apart. Newton and McNabb are the same era which is the pass happy era we are talking about. McNabb played in the pass-happy NFL era for his entire career. And whoever said Cam is too inaccurate...Career Completion %...McNabb 59% Newton 58.4%. Literally decimal points apart and they are equal in that one category. So if Cam is inaccurate (which I don't agree with that statement) then by that logic so was McNabb. So to use that statement to prop up McNabb and bring down Newton just doesn't fly!

The numbers don't lie folks, Newton is light years ahead of McNabb and a much better QB and it's not even really that close. The rushing numbers alone since both QB's were known for using their legs as a weapon...Newton has far superior numbers just on the ground and that has nothing to do with rule changes.

Nah - they are pretty much the same player. You pretty much summed it up with your completion percentage.

You want to bring rushing into this? McNabb has a higher yards per carry than Newton by almost half of a yard. You one could argue that Newton's rushing TDs are of the short yardage, goal line variety...

I think mcNabb went to what, 6 Pro Bowls or something? I think Newton is a great player, this isn't about bringing Cam down at all.

Donovan started his career in 99...the game has changed exponentially in the last 10 years or so, towards the end of Donovan's career. In 2007 there were 7 QB's that threw for over 4000 yards. Last year there were 14!

I am not trying to compare Donovan to Peyton, who is arguably the greatest QB to ever live. I think had Donovan come into the league a decade later, those passing numbers would be far greater. My god, just an average NFL QB is throwing for 4000 yards and 30 TDs now.

Nah - they are pretty much the same player. You pretty much summed it up with your completion percentage.

Wait, so Newton has more rushing TD's, more passing yards, more passing TD's, more individual awards...but becaues their completion % is equal...they are the same player. Come on, you can't be serious! That's laughable!

You want to bring rushing into this? McNabb has a higher yards per carry than Newton by almost half of a yard. You one could argue that Newton's rushing TDs are of the short yardage, goal line variety...
The NFL keeps score in TD's not yards! So...there is that. I don't care if they were short yardage or not...TD's are TD's!

I think mcNabb went to what, 6 Pro Bowls or something? I think Newton is a great player, this isn't about bringing Cam down at all.
Pro Bowls...who cares, that is a popularity contest and half the players don't go and marginal players get in now because they back-fill the teams! Newton has been to 3 pro bowls if you want to even count that and has many years ahead of him he will go to more than 6. The AWARDS that matters are MVP's and ALL PRO...McNabb never won either, Newton has won both an MVP and been All Pro!

Donovan started his career in 99...the game has changed exponentially in the last 10 years or so, towards the end of Donovan's career. In 2007 there were 7 QB's that threw for over 4000 yards. Last year there were 14! I am not trying to compare Donovan to Peyton, who is arguably the greatest QB to ever live. I think had Donovan come into the league a decade later, those passing numbers would be far greater. My god, just an average NFL QB is throwing for 4000 yards and 30 TDs now

This opinion you typed kills your entire argument. Guys like Big Ben, Rivers, Brees...etc the bulk of their careers were essentially in the same era as McNabb and its the same pass happy league. McNabb didn't play much in 99' (only like 200 passing attempts) , his real on field career as an every game starter started in 2000. From 2000 till today the NFL has been a pass happy league with rules that favor the QB's. McNabb's numbers are way behind someone like Cam. Same rules that favor the QB and the passing game, same era!

And I thought all the debate would be on the #1...

A few years back, the debate was Montana vs. Brady vs. Manning.. (sorry Elway fans) Is that settled?

I'd say there is an elite tier of 3. Runner up tier of 3 or 4... After that? Want another tier? fine... Then just lump them all in. Too many variables. If you throw Mcnabb in there, sure. Then a detractor could argue that for 4 years Westbrook averaged 700yds receiving, with mostly, behind the line of scrimmage dumps.. Rivers? Sure... But would he even be in the conversation without Antonio Gates? Love me some Warner... But he's not even in the top 20 for yds.. (although def in my top 15, even if he kept loosing his job)

After # 8 or 9, it gets difficult, and subjective.

Passing Yardage Leaders

1 Peyton Manning 71,940
2 Brett Favre 71,838
3 DREW BREES 66,111
4 TOM BRADY 61,582
5 Dan Marino 61,361
6 John Elway 51,475
7 Warren Moon 49,325
8 ELI MANNING 48,214
9 Fran Tarkenton 47,003
10 BEN ROETHLISBERGER 46,814
11 Vinny Testaverde 46,233
12 PHILIP RIVERS 45,833
13 Drew Bledsoe 44,611
14 CARSON PALMER 44,269
15 Dan Fouts 43,040
16 Kerry Collins 40,922
17 Joe Montana 40,551
18 Johnny Unitas 40,239
19 Dave Krieg 38,147
20 Boomer Esiason 37,920

So based on your criteria, Matthew Stafford is better than McNabb, correct?

And I thought all the debate would be on the #1...

A few years back, the debate was Montana vs. Brady vs. Manning.. (sorry Elway fans) Is that settled?

I'd say there is an elite tier of 3. Runner up tier of 3 or 4... After that? Want another tier? fine... Then just lump them all in. Too many variables. If you throw Mcnabb in there, sure. Then a detractor could argue that for 4 years Westbrook averaged 700yds receiving, with mostly, behind the line of scrimmage dumps.. Rivers? Sure... But would he even be in the conversation without Antonio Gates? Love me some Warner... But he's not even in the top 20 for yds.. (although def in my top 15, even if he kept loosing his job)

After # 8 or 9, it gets difficult, and subjective.
There's an elite tier of 1.

Then a large gap to 2 & 3.

So based on your criteria, Matthew Stafford is better than McNabb, correct?

Yep! As I said, McNabb isn't Top 20. He falls in that 20-30 range and I would have Stafford in that 20-30 grouping as well and Stafford would be higher than McNabb by a spot or two.

Yep! As I said, McNabb isn't Top 20. He falls in that 20-30 range and I would have Stafford in that 20-30 grouping as well and Stafford would be higher than McNabb by a spot or two.

I just don't see how you can put Stafford who has played 7 seasons and went to one Pro Bowl and has done absolutely nothing in the playoffs and had the best receiver in the league to throw to ahead of McNabb.

There might be 20 QBs in the league better than Stafford right now...

I just don't see how you can put Stafford who has played 7 seasons and went to one Pro Bowl and has done absolutely nothing in the playoffs and had the best receiver in the league to throw to ahead of McNabb.

Honestly I haven't ranked my Top 30 NFL Qb's from 1978 on. I did do the Top 20 in regards to this article. Before I say for certain Stafford is ahead of McNabb I would have to crunch the numbers and break everything down more in depth. What I will say is it's closer than you think when it comes to those two.

And I really don't count Pro Bowls as meaning much honestly so.

There might be 20 QBs in the league better than Stafford right now...
Um, no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom