The GOAT Index: NFL coaches, execs rank best QBs since 1978 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The GOAT Index: NFL coaches, execs rank best QBs since 1978

I just don't see how you can put Stafford who has played 7 seasons and went to one Pro Bowl and has done absolutely nothing in the playoffs and had the best receiver in the league to throw to ahead of McNabb.

Because he's trolling

Because he's trolling

Not trolling at all. As I have stated numerous times, Pro Bowls mean nothing. It's worthless. Again, from 2011 to 2016 Stafford has thrown for over 4,000 yards every year. Mix in one year where he threw for over 5,000 yards too. McNabb never had a 4,000 yard season let alone a 5,000 yard season and YES they are from the same era.

Again, "WINS" is not a QB stat. Neither is "playoff appearances." Those are team stats so I don't hold the fact Stafford got picked by a garbage franchise against him. I mean Rich Gannon was ALL PRO Twice and went to 4 Pro Bowls, and 1 Super Bowl and I am NOT ranking him ahead of McNabb. Yet he was All Pro more times than McNabb. It goes beyond one thing.

I'm not knocking McNabb...I think being a Top 30 QB since 1978 till today is a HUGE and GREAT accomplishment. But I just don't feel he is Top 20 and as I said earlier today when it comes to where he ranks next to Stafford I would have to do more of a deep dive into things but its not a crazy thought to think Stafford is a spot or two ahead of him.

Nobody in that time frame did less with more than Elway in his early years From weak RB's and average receivers to the most overrated head coach in history. He was a one man offense (as was McNabb when he first hit Philly, but to a much lesser level).

Current NFL QBs I would take ahead of Stafford.
1. Brady
2. Rodgers
3. Rothlisberger
4. Rivers
5. Newton
6. Brees
7. Carr
8. Ryan
9. Wilson
10.Palmer
11. Prescott
12. Cousins
13. Winston
14. Flacco
15. Luck

Then I would go
16. Stafford
17. Eli Manning
18. Alex Smith
19. Dalton
20. Mariota
21. Bradford
22. Tannenhill
The bottom 10 are just garbage.

Stafford in his prime is right in the middle of the league and that is without Garapolio who may be better as well.
McNabb was above middle of the road in his prime.
I would take McNabb over Stafford. Stafford is dumb as a rock and uses his arm to force throws. McNabb wasn't as big a gambler and that annoyed his fanbase.

Not trolling at all. As I have stated numerous times, Pro Bowls mean nothing. It's worthless. Again, from 2011 to 2016 Stafford has thrown for over 4,000 yards every year. Mix in one year where he threw for over 5,000 yards too. McNabb never had a 4,000 yard season let alone a 5,000 yard season and YES they are from the same era.

Again, "WINS" is not a QB stat. Neither is "playoff appearances." Those are team stats so I don't hold the fact Stafford got picked by a garbage franchise against him. I mean Rich Gannon was ALL PRO Twice and went to 4 Pro Bowls, and 1 Super Bowl and I am NOT ranking him ahead of McNabb. Yet he was All Pro more times than McNabb. It goes beyond one thing.

I'm not knocking McNabb...I think being a Top 30 QB since 1978 till today is a HUGE and GREAT accomplishment. But I just don't feel he is Top 20 and as I said earlier today when it comes to where he ranks next to Stafford I would have to do more of a deep dive into things but its not a crazy thought to think Stafford is a spot or two ahead of him.

That's it? More passing yards is your entire argument?

1. Brady
2. Rodgers
3. Rothlisberger
4. Rivers
5. Newton
6. Brees
7. Carr
8. Ryan
9. Wilson
10.Palmer
11. Prescott
12. Cousins
13. Winston
14. Flacco
15. Luck

Then I would go
16. Stafford
17. Eli Manning
18. Alex Smith
19. Dalton
20. Mariota
21. Bradford
22. Tannenhill

Stafford in his prime is right in the middle of the league and that is without Garapolio who may be better as well.
I would take McNabb over Stafford. Stafford is dumb as a rock and uses his arm to force throws. McNabb wasn't as big a gambler and that annoyed his fanbase.

I can't put Winston or Prescott ahead of Stafford right now but the rest I agree with for the most part. I might have Stafford ahead of Luck, Cousins, and Flacco as well but that is a debate and a fair range to have Stafford in. I would have Stafford no lower than 13 and probably 10 as I think he is better than Palmer.

That's it? More passing yards is your entire argument?

When ranking QB's Yards and TD's are a very big part of it. How often did ya move the ball and get it to the endzone. Like I said you want to have McNabb a spot or two ahead of Stafford that's fair. Not a crazy stance. When ranking QB's in the 20-30 range like we are here I can't rip anyone for that.

When ranking QB's Yards and TD's are a very big part of it. How often did ya move the ball and get it to the endzone. Like I said you want to have McNabb a spot or two ahead of Stafford that's fair. Not a crazy stance. When ranking QB's in the 20-30 range like we are here I can't rip anyone for that.

But passing yards can be a very misleading stat. If you're a team that can't run the ball or has a bad defense and gets themselves in a hole often, you may be throwing the ball as a means to play catch up .

Do you think Nassib and Dungey were better college QBs than McNabb?

1. Brady
2. Rodgers
3. Rothlisberger
4. Rivers
5. Newton
6. Brees
7. Carr
8. Ryan
9. Wilson
10.Palmer
11. Prescott
12. Cousins
13. Winston
14. Flacco
15. Luck

Then I would go
16. Stafford
17. Eli Manning
18. Alex Smith
19. Dalton
20. Mariota
21. Bradford
22. Tannenhill

#4 & #s 9-16 are not better than Eli.

I'm not sure I'd take #s 7 & 8 over him either.

I liked Joe Montana but I always saw him as the easy going and never flustered type. Jim Kelly was more my speed. Fire and passion for the game. Played through seemingly endless injuries. Played a smart game. I still couldn't say he is top ten greatest ever, there are too many others with better numbers and Super Bowl rings, but I would select him as the QB of my team out of any QB.

#4 & #s 9-16 are not better than Eli.

I'm not sure I'd take #s 7 & 8 over him either.
LOL Eli Manning is ranked right where he belongs.
People call Brady a system QB when Eli is the system mediocre QB.

He has his SBs nobody can take from him but he is on the back 9 close to the end. Can we get 1 All-Pro ish season from the guy.

LOL Eli Manning is ranked right where he belongs.
People call Brady a system QB when Eli is the system mediocre QB.

He has his SBs nobody can take from him but he is on the back 9 close to the end. Can we get 1 All-Pro ish season from the guy.
2011 was incredible.

2011 was incredible.
9-7 record
29 TDs
16 INTs
4900 yards

Eli wasn't one of the top 3 QBs this season.
Rodgers, Brees, Brady all better.

Give me a break. The guy hasn't had one season he has been one of the top 3 QBs and that is stretching the all pro team to a 3rd team.

Stafford has zero run support, and no OL. Defenses consistently pin their ears back and try to murder him all day. I'm pretty sure Stafford would look better than Brady on a team like the Patriots. Which leads me to my next point...

Erik Kramer should be on this list. He's the only QB to lead the Lions to a playoff victory in 60 years. He should be in Canton for that matter.

9-7 record
29 TDs
16 INTs
4900 yards

Eli wasn't one of the top 3 QBs this season.
Rodgers, Brees, Brady all better.

Give me a break. The guy hasn't had one season he has been one of the top 3 QBs and that is stretching the all pro team to a 3rd team.
could care less if your moving goal post is top 3, 4, 5, 10 whatever.

hes going to the Hall of Fame and he beat your boy 2x.

Stafford has zero run support, and no OL. Defenses consistently pin their ears back and try to murder him all day. I'm pretty sure Stafford would look better than Brady on a team like the Patriots. Which leads me to my next point...

Erik Kramer should be on this list. He's the only QB to lead the Lions to a playoff victory in 60 years. He should be in Canton for that matter.
Brady is the offense.
The Patriots offense is built around Brady's intelligence. He gets rid of the ball fast ask the Bills fans in this thread.
longislandcuse, MSOrange

Belichick wouldn't want Stafford.
Brady's best asset is he doesn't turn the ball over.
Matt Stafford has 108 INTs in 8 years.
Tom Brady had 152 INTs in 17 years.

The Patriots OL has not been great. The difference is Brady gets the ball out in under 3 seconds.
Stafford's brain is his biggest problem. He has a lot of talent in his arm.

could care less if your moving goal post is top 3, 4, 5, 10 whatever.

hes going to the Hall of Fame and he beat your boy 2x.
Eli is on the fringe of the HOF.

He is 2-0 in the SB. Too bad he doesn't get their more often.
He is a middle of the road regular season QB who too his credit has been elite in 2 post season runs to win titles.
Joe Flacco does the same thing. He is mediocre in the regular season and is money in the playoffs.

Eli is on the fringe of the HOF.

He is 2-0 in the SB. Too bad he doesn't get their more often.
He is a middle of the road regular season QB who too his credit has been elite in 2 post season runs to win titles.
Joe Flacco does the same thing. He is mediocre in the regular season and is money in the playoffs.
Flacco cant hold Eli's jock in the HOF talk, but hes a good QB that a lot of teams would love to have.

QBs in the Hall need 1 of 2 things...Rings or Stats.

hes got both.

the fringe stuff is just talking head banter to get a rise out of the massive BigBlueNation.

I bet if you polled nationally or even just asked on here and said...

How many career yards does Eli have?? people would say 25k (48, 214)

How many career 4000 yard seasons does Eli have?? people would say 0, maybe 1. (6)

How many career TDs does Eli have?? people would say 200. (320)

How many career INTs does Eli have?? people would say 300. (215. he may get there, but who cares??)

of course they know about the 2 rings...

HOF NO BRAINER.

Brady is the offense.
The Patriots offense is built around Brady's intelligence. He gets rid of the ball fast ask the Bills fans in this thread.
longislandcuse, MSOrange

Belichick wouldn't want Stafford.
Brady's best asset is he doesn't turn the ball over.
Matt Stafford has 108 INTs in 8 years.
Tom Brady had 152 INTs in 17 years.

The Patriots OL has not been great. The difference is Brady gets the ball out in under 3 seconds.
Stafford's brain is his biggest problem. He has a lot of talent in his arm.

Most of what I posted was tongue in cheek, I really don't think Stafford > Brady on any team, it was hyperbole meant to demonstrate that Stafford probably would be considered one of the better QBs in the league with a functional line and any form of a running game. As for the turnovers, I'm guessing you don't watch alot of Lions games, the pocket sometimes collapses on him so fast he can't do anything but read and react and that will lead to turnovers when you're constantly throwing on the run. WRs aren't even getting out into their routes before he's being chased into the flat. Make no mistake, Brady would have his issues on the Lions, they are just too dysfunctional.

For the record I don't really think Erik Kramer is a hall of fame QB either although he is one of my top Lions QBs of the modern era for achieving that 91 victory ;)

Flacco cant hold Eli's jock in the HOF talk, but hes a good QB that a lot of teams would love to have.

QBs in the Hall need 1 of 2 things...Rings or Stats.

hes got both.

the fringe stuff is just talking head banter to get a rise out of the massive BigBlueNation.

I bet if you polled nationally or even just asked on here and said...

How many career yards does Eli have?? people would say 25k (48, 214)

How many career 4000 yard seasons does Eli have?? people would say 0, maybe 1. (6)

How many career TDs does Eli have?? people would say 200. (320)

How many career INTs does Eli have?? people would say 300. (215. he may get there, but who cares??)

of course they know about the 2 rings...

HOF NO BRAINER.

How many of his 13 seasons did Eli win a playoff game? People would say 5 or 6. (Answer is 2)

Most of what I posted was tongue in cheek, I really don't think Stafford > Brady on any team, it was hyperbole meant to demonstrate that Stafford probably would be considered one of the better QBs in the league with a functional line and any form of a running game. As for the turnovers, I'm guessing you don't watch alot of Lions games, the pocket sometimes collapses on him so fast he can't do anything but read and react and that will lead to turnovers when you're constantly throwing on the run. WRs aren't even getting out into their routes before he's being chased into the flat. Make no mistake, Brady would have his issues on the Lions, they are just too dysfunctional.

For the record I don't really think Erik Kramer is a hall of fame QB either although he is one of my top Lions QBs of the modern era for achieving that 91 victory ;)
you see Pyle, when you post...you should never post an explanation post, unless you are in a side bar with 1 or more people tossing facts back and forth.

you need to throw the hyperbole, the tongue in cheek stuff right out there strong next to your serious stuff and let the unwashed here figure it out.

alsacs, briancuse, the bills contingent, myself etc...none need to explain themselves, we all get their hook.

you are a Lions fan, we all seriously love and respect that...I mean seriously...WOW, when you say Eric Kramer should be in the HOF...we all agree with 'you', no need to explain...

just a little Training Camp tip from your Uncle UEO...

How many of his 13 seasons did Eli win a playoff game? People would say 5 or 6. (Answer is 2)
Cover_eyes_shining.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom