The Golden Age of Television | Syracusefan.com

The Golden Age of Television

SWC75

Bored Historian
I like to use You-Tube as a time machine - to look at something from what is now along time ago and remember when it wasn't. I'm checking out some so the anthology series of the 50's, which contain many perfectly watchable and entertaining stories from the "Golden Age of Television" and feature many famous actors. They are just as good as watching episodic TV from that period. If you don't check these out, you have missed a lot of what those famous performers did.

This one is from Kraft Theater on January 23, 1950. A good but forgotten actor named Mark Roberts plays a GI who falls for a French mademoiselle. His best friend is is sergeant, played by George Reeves, a year before he started playing Superman. It's a wonderful comic performance. His CO is played by E.. Marshall, later of The Defenders, (the original one, not the Las Vegas one), who insists on being called a lawyer, rather than a colonel, because that's his real profession. Despite the IMDB cast listing, Anne Francis, (later Honey West), is not in this. 'Odette' is played by Olive Deering. But it's fun watch in any case.

Here's another, one that could have been a Twilight Zone episode. Instead it's Alcoa-Goodyear Theater 10-6-58, ""Strange Occurrence at Rokesay" featuring Patrick Macnee in a supporting role, three years before he began playing John Steed in "The Avengers", (the original Avengers, not the cartoon characters). The star is John Kerr, who played Lt. Cable in 'South Pacific' this same year.

James Dean did only three movies but made many television appearances before that.

Grace Kelly on Studio One 9/22/52 "The Kill"

Grace Kelly in Rear Window was fantastic. After watching her in this role which is as different as her role in that movie could possibly be, I’ve gained an appreciation for why. Lisa Carol Fremont was Grace Kelly - everything here in “The Kill” felt forced and unnatural.

James Dean and Natalie Wood: the year they made 'Rebel Without a Cause'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom