The Good Ol Days... | Syracusefan.com

The Good Ol Days...

newmexicuse

All Conference
when players stayed three or four years and a fan could really get to know and understand the roster.

Now, we have a roster and and incoming class that are huge unknowns. Can't really have meaningful sports chatter this off-season - only speculation about how things might play out.

This year is worse than most, but it is sad to see how quickly most guys come and go if they are halfway decent.

Yeah, there have been some recent exceptions - Rick, Arinze, Andy, and Scoop are a few that come to mind recently, but you just can't really get to know the team any more.

when players stayed three or four years and a fan could really get to know and understand the roster.

Now, we have a roster and and incoming class that are huge unknowns. Can't really have meaningful sports chatter this off-season - only speculation about how things might play out.

This year is worse than most, but it is sad to see how quickly most guys come and go if they are halfway decent.

Yeah, there have been some recent exceptions - Rick, Arinze, Andy, and Scoop are a few that come to mind recently, but you just can't really get to know the team any more.

You should be happy for the players who are lucky enough to come in for a year or two and then go play professionally. I'm assuming most dream of playing in the NBA and collecting a paycheck, not playing college ball.

You should be happy for the players who are lucky enough to come in for a year or two and then go play professionally. I'm assuming most dream of playing in the NBA and collecting a paycheck, not playing college ball.

The same amount of players made the NBA in the "good ol days". They just didn't get there as quickly.

Now we have an NBA where 21 year olds heading into their 3rd year are traded in part due to lack of leadership and are said to be "immature". Well, duh. SMH.

If a high school player doesn't dream of playing college ball in front of frenetic fans, in fact more fans than most would even see cheering for them in the pros, then maybe they should go straight to the D League to fulfill their dreams.

There was a time when a college degree actually had some value for those fortunate enough to have their education paid for. Now, the way it's set up, if you stay 4 years you risk maximizing your moola. It's crazy.

Money has taken some of the fun out of major college sports.

There was a time when a college degree actually had some value for those fortunate enough to have their education paid for. Now, the way it's set up, if you stay 4 years you risk maximizing your moola. It's crazy.

Exactly. I'm not saying its right or wrong but these kids dream of playing at the highest level (NBA) and getting paid to do so. A very good reason why they should do away with the one and done. A 4 year college player getting drafted seems to be a rarity these days.

Exactly. I'm not saying its right or wrong but these kids dream of playing at the highest level (NBA) and getting paid to do so. A very good reason why they should do away with the one and done. A 4 year college player getting drafted seems to be a rarity these days.

I am not against players getting paid to display their talents.

I am against the one & done rule - IMHO a player should be able to declare directly out of HS or else they have to wait two years.

The one & done hurts more players than it helps. Yes, they get the quick paycheck, but by not waiting until they mature physically and their game matures mentally so many of them never develop into what they might have been & end up with shortened careers and no degree to boot. And remember, every quick paycheck a "pre-mature" kid gets means one less paycheck for an NBA veteran. And two years later these one and dones will become the veterans.

Of course, it is all part of a process. It starts with the NBA that drafts on potential and not accomplishment. Scouts speculate on what a kid might become and are never happy with what a kid is.

As long as the big paycheck is out there, that is where the kids will flow to and all I am saying is that I know it hurts the college game and I don't believe it helps the players (in the long run).

A

An with more and more people attending colleges, the value of the four year degrees are decreasing.

The same amount of players made the NBA in the "good ol days". They just didn't get there as quickly.

Now we have an NBA where 21 year olds heading into their 3rd year are traded in part due to lack of leadership and are said to be "immature". Well, duh. SMH.
Now we have a situation where the NBA won't draft kids who are 21 or 22 because they are "too old". Such nonsense.

A

An with more and more people attending colleges, the value of the four year degrees are decreasing.

Then think how little value only a high school diploma holds?

Times change. Just how it goes. Hopefully they let these kids go to the NBA from HS. Athletes are better in all aspects. They train from day one. Some just don't need College. For their sake, I would like them to use some of their money to get a degree, learn a trade, how to invest your money. Something other than basketball. It only lasts so long, and you never know when that day will come.

Still, if you're a top pick out of HS then you're losing a year of money in school. That year can pay for College. I know this is a broad statement that can be dissected in many ways, I guess.

I do wish it was like it once was. That's why I love our roster. We will lose Tyus, maybe TT it seems. Frank, and PC, no comment. Marek, you never know. OB is a beast, but should be alright there. We will load up again, so I get your point. But, we have program guys.

Still, I love Mali, Lydon, Jonny, Donte, Dion. Chris, no clue.

Now we have a situation where the NBA won't draft kids who are 21 or 22 because they are "too old". Such nonsense.

It's not that they're too old, it's that the expectations and standards are much higher for juniors and seniors and many of those guys don't meet them. For perspective, Kristaps Porzingis is younger than Justin Jackson and the same age as Luke Kennard. What do you think Porzingis would've looked like in the ACC against Clemson, GA Tech, our zone, etc.?

You'd be surprised at how many players in the NBA who are in their 3rd or 4th year could be seniors in college and then compare if you would rather have them on your college team or the upperclassmen who was all conference.

A

So you suggest it s good to be in the third that don't have one

It's easy to roll the dice with someone else's money. If I have a high probability of guaranteed millions doing what I love even if it's just for a couple years then I'm taking it. I'll go take some more classes later.

Sorry but what does that have to do with the value of a college degree which is what I was replying to!

Sorry but what does that have to do with the value of a college degree which is what I was replying to!

That getting the college degree by the time they turn 22-23 isn't worth more than the millions these kids are guaranteed when they can very easily go back to school to earn their degree when they're done playing.

I have to admit that I have less emotional investment in Syracuse basketball now that players come and go so quickly.
I realize that top caliber athletes are looking to get to the professional level, but the fun of being a fan and an alum is in feeling that I share a love of Syracuse with these student-athletes.
But, it's bigger than that. I'm now just a cursory fan of big-time college basketball. There are fewer long-term stories and more flashes in the pan.
But, it's bigger than that. I don't care to follow the pro careers of these flashes in the pan either. I don't know them. I didn't see them develop. They're just showmen at this point.

I have to admit that I have less emotional investment in Syracuse basketball now that players come and go so quickly.
I realize that top caliber athletes are looking to get to the professional level, but the fun of being a fan and an alum is in feeling that I share a love of Syracuse with these student-athletes.
But, it's bigger than that. I'm now just a cursory fan of big-time college basketball. There are fewer long-term stories and more flashes in the pan.
But, it's bigger than that. I don't care to follow the pro careers of these flashes in the pan either. I don't know them. I didn't see them develop. They're just showmen at this point.

I get into Cuse just as much as I ever did, even with greater roster turnover. Where it really effects me as a fan is with our opponents and rivals. A team you had two great and heated games with one year could be completely different the next. There was a time where I would know at least the starting lineup of pretty much every Big East team as well as all the power programs, and would know several players off of pretty much every team that even somewhat mattered.

Now? I couldn't name one player on many of these teams.

So you suggest it s good to be in the third that don't have one
Depends. Electrician, plumber, sales, entrepreneur, etc. Lots of people make money without college. Unless you are going into a career which requires a degree, (Dr. Nurse, lawyer, teacher, etc) there are lots of economic studies to show you are better off not going to college. (Opportunity costs, loans, loss of experience, etc.)
There is too much emphasis on college for college sake.
My parents did very well without a college degree. Enough to help 3 generations.
If my kid could chase his dream without college, I would encourage it. If he wanted to go to college, I would encourage that as well.

Great post. With 1-and-done we are fretting over our not being competitive for players that will stay one year.

Your post makes me think of Moten, who came in as such a surprise. He single-handedly beat Princeton in game 1 of the tourney as a Frosh, a game where every single pundit was picking Princeton as the upset. And then we had the satisfaction of knowing that we would get to watch him for 3 more years.

Think about the 1975 final: NC State and UCLA - college basketball at its finest. How many players who would have been 1-and-dones were in that game? Thompson and Walton certainly, but many more.

The college game has been significantly diminished for the reasons the OP enumerated very well.

Imagine if we were looking at 3 more years of Battle, or 2 more years of Lydon. Lordy, that would be great. That's what we have lost.

We have lost entertainment, and the old days of CBB. These kids have to do what is best for them, not us. I don't know how anyone could be less of a fan because the landscape has changed.

I wish we had everyone stay four years. Yet, if that was universal then it's just as difficult to win anyway. I do miss the rivalries between players. These kids grow up as friends. Those times are long gone.

Hell, JB and K are buddies as we hate Duke.

We have lost entertainment, and the old days of CBB. These kids have to do what is best for them, not us. I don't know how anyone could be less of a fan because the landscape has changed.

I wish we had everyone stay four years. Yet, if that was universal then it's just as difficult to win anyway. I do miss the rivalries between players. These kids grow up as friends. Those times are long gone.

Hell, JB and K are buddies as we hate Duke.

The kids have to do what's best for them. I get it and support it. But the "less of a fan" stuff...I root for Cuse as hard as I ever did, but college bball as a whole is a lot less fun to watch. The games are lower quality bball and the investment in the other teams is so much lower.

I think of the 90s-early 00s and all the random teams (nonrivals, non champions, non bluebloods) where I could name their entire starting lineups in some of the years: teams like Temple, UMass, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Michigan, Utah, Virginia, Missouri, etc. Like...why do I know Wake Forests whole lineup from 95 or 96 or 97, but I know like two players off their team from last year?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom