The Jesse Conundrum (errr, Jesse's Conundrum) | Syracusefan.com

The Jesse Conundrum (errr, Jesse's Conundrum)

Moontan

2017 ESPN College Bowl Pick’em Winner
Through most of the of 2022-2023 season I assumed that Jesse would be moving on after the season completed.

As a Dutchie, I got to meet him a couple of times before and after this year's GA Tech game. He's a great guy.
He was very happy that his parents were coming for the Senior Day game at the Dome. It was also good to see him with his (Dutch, Syracuse FH) girlfriend at the ceremony.

As I now look back at things, I can actually see why, after this season's ending, he would consider returning for his bonus year.

The 2021-2022 season ended with his injury. While the Senior Game this year was a fun event, the overall season was a bit disappointing. I can see him looking back at the 2021 NCAA tournament and getting excited about being a starting center in the upcoming tournaments. Only for those to never happen...

I believe that he wants to make the most of his career. An opportunity to play in the NBA. Represent his country in international games. And, perhaps give the NCAA tournament one more shot.

With JJ joining the team and if Judah stays, I can see the staff convincing him to give it another go.
Get some more experience and build the upper body a bit more and he might have a shot at an NBA opportunity.

Hopefully that's what happens and I get a chance to meet up with him again. :)

Last edited:
Through most of the of 2022-2023 season I assumed that Jesse would be moving on after the season completed.

As a Dutchie, I got to meet him a couple of times before and after this year's GA Tech game. He's a great guy.
He was very happy that his parents were coming for the Senior Day game at the Dome. It was also good to see him with his (Dutch, Syracuse FH) girlfriend at the ceremony.

As I now look back at things, I can actually see why after this season's ending that he would consider returning for his bonus year.

The 2021-2022 season ended with his injury. While the Senior Game this year was a fun event, the overall season was a bit disappointing. I can see him looking back at the 2021 NCAA tournament and getting excited about being a starting center in the upcoming tournaments. Only for those to never happen...

I believe that he wants to make the most of his career. An opportunity to play in the NBA. Represent his country in international games. And, perhaps give the NCAA tournament one more shot.

With JJ joining the team and if Jadah stays, I can see the staff convince him to give it another go.
Get some more experience and build the upper body a bit more and he might have a shot at an NBA opportunity.

Hopefully that's what happens and I get a chance to meet up with him again. :)
If he can guard the P&R in space and stay in front of his man in Red's defense, and hit a midrange jumper in Red's offense, he could get some NBA attention. Worth a shot. Nothing to lose. He can get paid during the Israel trip too -- likely more than he'd get going pro overseas (or, on the right side of the sea, from his perspective, I guess).

I checked the SU field hockey roster and there are seven - seven! - Dutch players. I didn’t know field hockey was big in the Netherlands. But then, I know nothing about field hockey.

I checked the SU field hockey roster and there are seven - seven! - Dutch players. I didn’t know field hockey was big in the Netherlands. But then, I know nothing about field hockey.
It's HUUUUUUGE.* :)

They have a Dutch assistant coach, who I am sure is a big magnet.

Last year there were 10 Dutch players on the team.
They also had a US player with a Dutch last name on the roster (Charlotte de Vries).

* also know that men's field hockey is a big world wide (minus North America) sport. ;)

Last edited:
Jesse is a smart kid in a demanding major. I could see him wanting to get his degree. When he first came to Syracuse, he said that he wanted to be a doctor. Seems like the type of man who is already thinking of his life beyond basketball, however far basketball takes him.

I could see him wanting to maximize his draft chances by coming back. As for representing The Netherlands internationally, he can do that regardless of whether he comes back or not. Also, regarding wanting to play in the NCAA tournament, it is nice and all, but I wouldn't see that as being a factor at all in his decision to return.

Frankly, I'm surprised that he hasn't declared for the draft, if for no other reason to be evaluated while keeping the door open to return to SU.

JB refused to play him most of his Sophomore year even when he eventually was a difference maker in our NCAA tournament run. The last 2 seasons disasters were his only 2 as a starter.

I think he has to want another year finally playing regular minutes on a good team. It'll only help his pro prospects.

Frankly, I'm surprised that he hasn't declared for the draft, if for no other reason to be evaluated while keeping the door open to return to SU.
Yup, I would kind of expect him to pull a Judah and see where things lead.

Jesse is a smart kid in a demanding major. I could see him wanting to get his degree. When he first came to Syracuse, he said that he wanted to be a doctor. Seems like the type of man who is already thinking of his life beyond basketball, however far basketball takes him.

I could see him wanting to maximize his draft chances by coming back. As for representing The Netherlands internationally, he can do that regardless of whether he comes back or not. Also, regarding wanting to play in the NCAA tournament, it is nice and all, but I wouldn't see that as being a factor at all in his decision to return.

I don’t think he is even on the NBA radar.

I don’t think he is even on the NBA radar.
It doesn't matter. Lots of guys declare in order to get evaluated and acquire feedback on the NBA guys want to see them improve upon.

It doesn't matter. Lots of guys declare in order to get evaluated and acquire feedback on the NBA guys want to see them improve upon.
Does he pull a Willy Mays Hayes at the combine?

JB refused to play him most of his Sophomore year even when he eventually was a difference maker in our NCAA tournament run. The last 2 seasons disasters were his only 2 as a starter.
Funny how the narrative has changed from questioning why he was even on scholarship at that point.

57266A1B-D258-4C91-ADEE-188AF87E8922.jpeg
It was also good to see him with his (Dutch, Syracuse FH) girlfriend at the ceremony.
Where can I find a woman like that?

Well, I didn't see this one coming. :(

Something tells me that he's already got offers from other schools that have found a way around the rules.
Disappointing, to say the least.

it sucks to lose players

but there's 1500 or whatever players in the portal...there's a lot of talent out there

and even with jesse the team was barely 500

it stings for sure

but it is possible that his replacement helps the team win more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marz44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom