The Jim Boeheim Show - after UNC | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - after UNC

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

The first hour is eventually, (it can take weeks) podcasted on the SU Athletics website on this page:
http://suathletics.com/podcasts.aspx
(Update: the last podcast is a preview of the first Duke game from last year so maybe they have stopped podcasting the show. )

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First hour:

Coach, I’ve been reading about the Syracuse Nationals, who won their NBA championship 60 years ago. Al Cervi was a coach who stressed defense and was sometimes unimpressed with the efforts of his star, Dolph Schayes in that area. Dolph’s counter was to ask “If I outscore my guy and my teammates outscore their guys, how are we going to lose?”

Rakeem Christmas spent his first three years here known primarily for his defense. Now he’s the team’s big offensive threat and we don’t have any depth. It often seems that on defense, he doesn’t challenge guys the way he used to because he wants to remain in the game. Is it possible for Rak, in this situation to play defense the way he used to and still be our big scoring threat or should we simply take the Dolph Schayes attitude that if he outscores his guy, it’s the best way to help us win?

Second hour:

Coach, Tyler Roberson seems reluctant to take that medium range jump shot the defense always gives him. That’s understandable, since he rarely makes them. You’ve said it’s a matter of confidence. Do you want him to take that shot and eventually make some of them so his confidence can grow or would you rather he avoid attempting that shot because he hasn’t been making them?

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject)

Coach Boeheim told Matt Park, “We needed a break. We lost two tough games. We played well. We’re getting better. This week will help us. We’re getting good shots for Ronnie and Kaleb: they’ve just got to make them. Tyler is coming on and the ‘Big Three’ of Rakeem, Michael and Trevor have been playing well all year. Everybody is playing their hearts out. We aren’t as good as we need to be yet. We were thin when we started out and then didn’t get DaJuan back and Chris got injured. Chris wasn’t just a good bac-up center. He was a very good back- up center with his length and shot-blocking ability. We’ve got three veterans and everybody else is a freshman or didn’t play much last year. The youngest guys have got to pick up their games. That’s the key to our season. They are still trying to figure out what college basketball is all about.”

Matt noted that North Carolina led us in bench minutes 23-45 and points 0-25. JB: That stuff doesn’t matter. We’ve had teams like this before. The defense broke down in the second half. That game was 72-74 with 3:29 in the second half. They scored and we had to press and we don’t that well. We could have lost by 6-8 if we’d played normal but we tried to win. North Carolina is tough to beat when they shoot like that. Their turnovers kept us in the game for the first 36 minutes. When Tyler fouled out, it hurt us.”

Our MVP for the game was “Trevor Cooney, who got off to such a great start. But you could pick Rakeem in almost any game.”

Somebody asked if we used Carolina’s fast break concept, which a lot of teams have copied. “They go down the sidelines and get it inside quickly. We practice that a bit but mostly we do other stuff.”

Matt mentioned Nate Britt going 4 for 5 from the arc after not making more than 2 three pointers in any game this year. JB: “That happens all the time. Against Miami Omar Sherman went 5 for 5 against us then 0 for 5 against Georgia Tech. Konstantinos Mitoglou of Wake Forest scored 27 against us and hasn’t scored that much all year.” (He scored 26 and has scored 179 points this year: but never more than 15 in any other game.” Matt noted that Georgia tech, supposedly one of the bad teams in the league had crushed Miami by 20, 70-50. Angel Rodriguez was 0 for 8 and 0 for 5 from the arc and Sheldon McClellan, averaging 15 points per game, scored only 6. Jim said that “Britt could shoot with his right and his left hand, which is very unusual.”

They went on to discuss how the difference between the conference’s top and bottom teams was slight. “Duke is #4 in the country and 4-3 in the conference. It used to be the bottom teams in college basketball couldn’t play with the top teams. Last year we were ranked #1 and lost to two bottom teams. Virginia Tech almost beat Virginia. They were down 10 late in the game. It was the worst team in the conference against the second best team in the country. They out-played us the whole second half. It’s tough to cover so many small guys who can shoot. We won’t be over-confident for them. That’s for sure. Figuring college basketball is not something you can really do. We could have lost to St. Francis last year and went on to 25-0.”

I called in my first question. Jim had a laugh at Dolph Schayes’ philosophy and said he didn’t adhere to it. “Rak has to be more careful. He can’t go as aggressively after shots. He has to back off some. But it’s not all his fault. We don’t have a Keita. CJ was a very under-rated defender. Jerami Grant was a good defender and a great shot blocker. Our defense is still good. We don’t’ have quite as much help for Rakeem. We’re smaller than in the past. Michael Carter Williams and Brandon Triche were excellent defensive guards. Tyler Ennis was strong and a good anticpater. He led the league in steals most of the year. We’re not quite as good. It’s bene a long time since we’ve had someone who could score inside like Rakeem, maybe ever. We need a little more from Joseph and Patterson. We need to make a couple more shots. Trevor went flat for a while. We’re not used to not having the bets team and in this case, we didn’t.”

Later I called in my second question about Tyler Roberson. “He has the ability to make the foul line jump shot. The side 17-18 footer is not a good shot. We want him to take the 15 footer if he’s comfortable. We wanted him to hit the boards. We want him to first look for Rak. Our goal is to get the ball inside and get a high percentage shot. We’ve shot the three ball pretty well in the league. We’ve been missing a lot of 2’s around the basket. Tyler has played very good basketball and we’re happy with how he’s played. It’s hard when you play only a few minutes of the time. Now he knows he’s going to be in there no matter what and can relax and just play. A lot of guys go from 8 minutes to 20 and still don’t score. Dion averaged 22 minutes and scored 16-17 points a game. You’ve got to take advantage of your opportunities. If you get an opportunity, do the things you have to do.

Matt asked for a comparison of the various arenas in the conference, now that we’ve played in all of them, (Notre Dame, Louisville and NC State in past seasons). “They’re all good places to play, noisy with good fans. People come to see Syracuse play. That’s always been the way. We used to fill up the Providence Civic Center which was half empty the rest of the time. Even Georgetown didn’t get sell-outs unless we were in town.

Ken in Syracuse praised the coach and team, agreeing that they always play their heart out. He’s glad we have a team that “on a given night can beat anyone in the country”. JB: We can’t always play great but you can always play hard. It’s tough when you have to play 40 minutes on Saturday and another 40 minutes on Sunday.”

“Cuseaholic” had tweeted something about Rasheed Sulaimon, the Duke player who hit the three-pointer to tie up the game at the Dome last year but who has now been dismissed form the team. “He was a high school All-American and started the first two years but his minutes have been cut. He’s not going to take that well. His attitude was bad. Allen Griffin lost his starting job here and was the most enthusiastic player on the team, cheering more loudly than any other. Then he got his job back the next year. He’s coaching now. Dion waiters never started but he played starter’s minutes.

Another “tweeter” asked for the three players who left early who Coach Boeheim most wished had not left early. JB: “The two guys this year. It would have bene great to have Carmelo for a second year. We might have repeated as national champions. But it wasn’t something you could really think would happen. You try to prepare for it but those guys were tough to lose. It was good that Jerami went because he wound up on Philadelphia, which needed players If he was on another team he’d be in the “D” League. He’s a good kid and I am rooting for him. Players think that if you don’t go as soon as you can you won’t make it but the opposite is true. The longer you stay, the more likely you are to make it and the longer career you’ll have.”

Later a caller named Brad asked if it was “a good idea to go to the NBA” JB: “It’s a good question but it’s not always easy to answer. More guys are not making it these days. They have a two year window to do it. The great players make it. Tyler Ennis makes money but is not playing. Stay in school and become a higher draft pick. If you’re not in the top 8-10, they don’t care. You’ll wind up in the D-League or in Europe.”

Jim thinks that Jerian Grant might be the best player in the conference and even the country. “Last year they had the game players and a good senior guard and had a losing record, (15-17). This year they’ve got Grant and are 20-2. He does more for his team than Okafor. Who’s a better player? Nobody stands out like him. The year off helped him. He’s a better player. He’s a 6-5 guy who gets tough rebounds under the basket under the basket and also gets long rebounds. Demetrius Jackson is a great point guard.“ He also praised Grant for his actions at the end of the game that prevented a court storming. “He visited us last year and played some with our guys. He’ll have a long NBA career.”

Pat called in and said there’d been a lot of good rule changes in college ball in the past decade. The refs are going to the monitor to check things now. Is it time for letting the coaches challenge calls? JB: “There are too many plays. You’d challenge 20-25 times a game. A play is only two points. You can overcome that. It’s not like a touchdown in football. In basketball you can work around a bad call.”

Pat also wondered if Kaleb Joseph’s problem is a lack of physical strength. JB: “He’s definitely not strong enough to get certain things done like scoring in the lane. He’ll get in the weight room. He can make shots but doesn’t carry it from one game to the next. He’s getting stronger and seeing the game better. I hope that he’ll be much improved next year. I hope he’ll be much improved by the end of this year.” He offered Jason hart and Scoop Jardine as point guards who substantially improved from their freshman year.

Matt praised Ryan Cabiles, the Director of Strength and Conditioning, for the shape the players are in. He noted that Trevor Cooney had “lost 10 pounds of water weight in the North Carolina game.” JB: “They train to play those minutes. During the season they get a lot of running with practice and some weight room training. There’s a lot of weight room work in the off-season- all summer and fall. Our guys are in great shape. “

Dave in Syracuse said he constantly saw big guys shouldering Rak out of positon and wasn’t that a charge”. JB said it was. Why isn’t it called? “It’s been called 2-3 times.” Would a flop help? “I wouldn’t asked for a flop but if a guy hits you in the chest you literally could fall.” Gomez noted that Roy Williams in his news conference admitted they went right at Rak because they had no back-up center. “We had a good back-up center in Chris McCullough. He wasn’t just good. He was very good. He was long and could block shots.”

“Chris’s knee surgery will be tomorrow morning and his rehab will take 6-8 months. He’s be able to shoot in three months and run by the fall. He should be ready by October, with a month to go before the season begins. Microsurgery is very different from an ACL. Every player we’ve had surgery on has come back stronger than before he got hurt.

Gomez noted that the Coach at Utah, Larry Krystkowiak, has a tradition where he burns green grass from Montana before every game. Phil Jackson taught him to do that when he was on the Bulls. JB laughed. Gomez asked him if he had any superstitious. JB: “A lot fo them. I doubt if there’s any coach who doesn’t. I wear the same things, leave at the same time, drive the same route.” Gomez noted that he always walks out onto the court at 2:37, (I assume that means the count-down timer on the scoreboard). Jim says he leave the locker room either at 2:48 or :224 or 2:14. I guess those are his lucky times. I’ll have to look for this at next Tuesday’s game.

I thought Bill Walton taught the NBA how to burn green grass

...and nice gtown dig

I listened to part of the show and I have to say he was as optimistic as he has been all season and I didn't expect that at all. He acted like he thinks we are close to beating good teams.

I was also struck by his optimism. He seems to have a soothing tone on this radio program.

I thought I wouldn't be able to read this before I took my trip. Thanks, SWC!

He's different because he knows he's basically playing exhibition games and has nothing to lose and SU gets to be the team that SU usually beats every year. Now SU gets to be the team that gets to try and beat the the top six or seven in the league and has improved to the point that they are a team that's capable of some upsets. He knows that there isn't going to be a post season ACC, NCAAT OR NIT. (That's why he gets a little annoyed when asked about NCAAT chances)I think he's looking forward to next year and therefore his surprising change in demeanor. Then again he hasn't lost all of his Woody Hayes Bobby Knight approach to the game. It's too ingrained.

Thanks as always for your recaps, SWC. I forgot to email a question about the out of bounds play at the end of the Miami game.

It's good to hear Boeheim's opinions on various issues, but if you captured his answers accurately, there were a couple of whoppers among his answers last night.

1. Waiters averaged 12.6 ppg instead of 16 or 17.
2. I have a hard time believing that McCullough was a very good backup center. It's true he put up good shot blocking numbers, but overall, I thought he had a lot of trouble playing the middle of the zone. If I had more time, I'd go back to some of your old recaps and watch press conference videos to see his previous comments about McCullough playing center.

Thanks for posting SWC.

Couple of things I noted, did JB really say "Tyler has played very good basketball and we’re happy with how he’s played. It’s hard when you play only a few minutes of the time. Now he knows he’s going to be in there no matter what and can relax and just play."

Isn't that what everyone here who argues against JB's quick hook substitution philosophy basis there argument on? This year's examples being Roberson early and BJ more recently.

Also, JB's comments that McCullough was a very good backup center seem strange to me. I thought I remembered him calling McCullough out after early season games for not being able to play that position very well??? Maybe, it was posters here saying that?

Thanks for posting SWC.

Couple of things I noted, did JB really say "Tyler has played very good basketball and we’re happy with how he’s played. It’s hard when you play only a few minutes of the time. Now he knows he’s going to be in there no matter what and can relax and just play."

Isn't that what everyone here who argues against JB's quick hook substitution philosophy basis there argument on? This year's examples being Roberson early and BJ more recently.

Also, JB's comments that McCullough was a very good backup center seem strange to me. I thought I remembered him calling McCullough out after early season games for not being able to play that position very well??? Maybe, it was posters here saying that?

I found those comments interesting as well relative to Roberson and his increased pt with CMac's injury, therefore, playing more relaxed and likely a direct causal effect to his increased productivity. Certainly an argument could be made if he treated BJ's pt differently, BJ could be more productive as well for those same reasons...as many here have eluded to also. Reminds me of the 'ol adage...you can't get a job without experience and you can't get experience without a job...

" Chris wasn’t just a good bac-up center. He was a very good back- up center with his length and shot-blocking ability."

i'm dumbstruck. just not really sure what prompted this statement. certainly contrary to everything he's said or that i myself have witnessed. we played downright awful with CMC at center. man...what color is the sky today?

Last edited:
"...if you captured his answers accurately..."

"...did JB really say..."

Unfortunately, they haven't done a podcast since Noah's Ark, (the movie not the biblical event), so we can't go back and double-check what he actually said. My procedure is to scribble down notes, (and I don't know shorthand), and then, after the broadcast, type them up, attaching the various comments to the subject to which they belong, (not necessarily in chronological order). Between the pace and quality of my scribbling I can't vouch for the exact wording but I'm at least 99% sure of his meaning and put quotes around the things that he said vs. the things I said or a my summary of what he said. Occasionally I have trouble making out what my scribble says but I generally remember what JB said. If I don't, I don't use it. One thing I would never do is to intentionally falsify his statement or put words in his mouth.

There have been many times he said something on one occasion that at least appeared to contradict something he said on another occasion. What he says may change depending on his audience or his mood. And his mood is certainly different at Delmonicos where he's eating his favorite chicken marsala than after a tough game facing the press.

might try using the nasally whine font when quoting the maestro.

He's not used to this level of struggle from his team. So he has obviously rationalized some of the poor play and losses. I can't blame him, and while CMac was no BMK, his depth would certainly help. That can't be disputed. I say give the man a break.

well hell sean "cat snatcher"williams and dashonte riley had length and shot blocking ability. dash batted away a few against us !

hey i don't know what the soundman is dubbing in but there's always a bunch of sniffling and snorting noises. everytime.

Thanks for posting SWC.

Isn't that what everyone here who argues against JB's quick hook substitution philosophy basis there argument on?

Not exactly.

What several posters wanted was for the last year's bench trio to get a few minutes of run. The definition of a "few minutes" varied but seemed to be anywhere between 2-3 and 5-8 minutes.

But that is exactly what JB is saying doesn't work. Tough to get comfortable over such a short span.

And there is simply no way that JB was going to give a guy the 10 or 15 or 20 minutes or whatever the right number is to get comfortable when he's got guys who are simply better players ahead of the guy on the bench.

If Fair and Grant are here this year, there is simply no way Roberson sees the court for 15, let alone 35, minutes.

you can always opt to make decisions based just on what's in the headlights. but good driving also requires thinking about what's up ahead beyond the bend.

Last edited:
you can always opt to play just what's in the headlights. but good driving also requires thinking about what's up ahead beyond the bend.

A better analogy is you can race Le Mans with a Ferrari the whole way or you can switch to a Honda at some point to give the Ferrari a break and hope that you are still in contention by the time you climb back into the Ferrari to finish the race...

hey i don't know what the soundman is dubbing in but there's always a bunch of sniffling and snorting noises. everytime.
51281.6a00d83451b05569e2012876b3e5d9970c-pi.jpg

Not exactly.

What several posters wanted was for the last year's bench trio to get a few minutes of run. The definition of a "few minutes" varied but seemed to be anywhere between 2-3 and 5-8 minutes.

But that is exactly what JB is saying doesn't work. Tough to get comfortable over such a short span.

And there is simply no way that JB was going to give a guy the 10 or 15 or 20 minutes or whatever the right number is to get comfortable when he's got guys who are simply better players ahead of the guy on the bench.

If Fair and Grant are here this year, there is simply no way Roberson sees the court for 15, let alone 35, minutes.

What I am saying, and I am glad to speak for myself here, is for the them to get a few minutes, but not get yanked the second they make a mistake. Let them play through them for just a couple minutes (maybe even one more minute). I'm not arguing for 10-15 minutes, just 3-5. That gives guys like Cooney and Rak a breather on the bench so they don't have to be iron men in the middle of the season and have no gas left for the stretch run.

OTHER TOPICS

Matt asked Coach about the 2015 SU football schedule. He was excited about it. “Let’s get off to a great start. It will get tough after that. We’ll get our quarterback back. Terrel Hunt’s a lot better than people give him credit for. Let’s get him back.”

On the Super Bowl: Green Bay should have won that game. The Patriots dominated. Seattle will play a lot better but having the best coach and quarterback in the game is a good start and that’s what the Patriots have. They will win.”

Gomez told the coach that he was only here because he didn’t want to get fined. asked the coach about Marshawn Lynch. “Just leave the guy alone. It’s common sense- why keep asking the guy questions? If somebody doesn’t want to talk to them, leave him alone. He’s become the most famous person at the Super Bowl, over all the great players who are there for both teams. The coaches have to address the press at every practice and right before the game. It’s outrageous, just crazy.”

The SU women’s team was leading #8 Louisville 30-29 at halftime. “They’ve played great, especially considering they lost their best player.” They didn’t play great in the second half and lost 58-78.

DeMarcus Cousins was again left out of the NBA All-star game despite being a 20 point 10 rebound per game guy. “Nobody likes him. He’s the only 20-10 guy to never be in an all-star game.” (Since when do they have to like you: This isn’t the Oscars.) Damian Lillard, Mike Conley,Zach Randolph, all could have gone. If they replace Kobe with Lillard, that would be good.” Should the fans or the coaches and general managers choose? “The only reason they have the fans choose is political correctness. The fans chose their own guys.“ (Yeah, the coaches and GMs would NEVER do that.)

Jeff called in to ask why they don’t call 3 seconds in the lane more. JB: “The one time they called it the guy was in the lane for 11 seconds and they still didn’t want to call it. You’ve got to call it. It’s too much of an advantage. We’ve got video of them not calling guys who were in for 5-6-7-8 seconds.” (There was one on You-Tube where Tim Higgins didn’t call it in 13 seconds- for a winning lay-up- and the play was right in front of him.) Gomez asked what rules should be enforced more than they are.“ Physical play. It all depends on what the ref is thinking. There’s always going to be an issue.”

Did he congratulate Coach K on victory #1000? “I didn’t call him. I texted him.” What does he think of him using the 2-3 zone? “They used a lot against Louisville. They used it only a little bit last night as they were scared of Notre Dame’s shooters.” Did Jim learn anything from Coach K while working with the US teams? “All kinds of plays we use. Some form Coach K, some from Mike D’Antoni. A lot of useful stuff.” (We use all kinds of plays?)

Maryland had been down 15+ and hit a couple of threes to get within 10. That’s what the 3 point shot does for you. Notre Dame was down 10 against Duke and hit a couple of shots. They’ve won 6 of 7 being down substantially in the second half. Maryland has some new players and are much better this year. I think Ohio State will win because they are at home.” (They did, resoundingly 80-56.)

Next year the Big 12 and SEC will have a challenge all on one day: January 30, in the middle of their conference season. “I never really liked it when we played a non-conference game in the middle of the conference season.” (Per my memory, they were a nice break from the conference head-banging and some of our most memorable games: DePaul in the Ray Meyer era, a couple of games against Michael Jordan’s UNC teams, Notre Dem before they joined the conference, Billy Tubbs’ Oklahoma team, blowing out Louisville’s defending national champions, a couple of games each against Michigan and , Kentucky, etc.)

"The longer you stay, the more likely you are to make it and the longer career you’ll have"

Well, there's literally data/facts that say otherwise

I know, I know...HOF'er, etc

“All kinds of plays we use. Some form Coach K, some from Mike D’Antoni. A lot of useful stuff.” (We use all kinds of plays?)
lol

(Per my memory, they were a nice break from the conference head-banging and some of our most memorable games: DePaul in the Ray Meyer era, a couple of games against Michael Jordan’s UNC teams, Notre Dem before they joined the conference, Billy Tubbs’ Oklahoma team, blowing out Louisville’s defending national champions, a couple of games each against Michigan and , Kentucky, etc.)
And a beaut of a game at Purdue! Or was that before the Big East? If so, at least it was a nice break for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom