The Jim Boeheim Show - before BC II | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before BC II

SWC, why does it seem like its the same callers every week? Like Josh in Boulder?

Is it invite only and predetermined questions ahead of time that get on air?

This show had all kinds of calls from people who had not called in before- at least not this year. There are a couple besides me that normally call in. No appointment needed.

Thanks again for excellent write up. I may be the only person here with this confusion but I still do not know whether the out of bounds then back in bounds in UVA game was correctly called. Seems JB said it was ok but I read where folks on here say the rule had changed recently?

Matt said that he thought that if a player had re-established himself with both feet in bounds, he could touch the ball and it's OK. Jim was adamant that it was an illegal play, that the player who went out of bounds cannot be the next player to touch the ball. Sorry if my narrative wasn't clear on that.

I don't think it's fair to label this as "total laziness." This is about JB believing this is what is best. All his success over 47 years has galvanized his belief.

It's completely fair IMO. JB believing what is best, nowadays, is also directly tied into the fact that he is 78 years old and unwilling to work as hard. This has been documented here by others relative to hitting the recruiting trails, letting others run his practice, etc., etc.

His success over 47 years is part of the problem, he still believes he can attain it at the accustomed past levels when the game has changed so much (Steph factor) in the past decade. Our decline and mediocre seasons over this upwards of 9 years now is proof in the pudding that he is unable and unwilling to adjust with the times.

With the changed game, NIL, etc., there isn't much doubt in my mind why some of the other older hall of fame and highly successful coaches in the ACC have recently retired. They are too old to play in this new game era and do what's required to be/stay on top.

Do you believe it's for the best?
Personally, no. Not at all. The fact that JB has been able to make that philosophy "work" for as long as he has -and only have ONE losing season in 46 years - is an incredible accomplishment. But, the game is evolving and his coaching philosophy is not.

Our M2M defense is essentially the press. Why do we only use it when we're down big? To save energy for JGIII and Jesse? Forget that bs, use a 10 man rotation, and surprise teams with full court, 3/4 court, and half court trapping defense throughout the game.

40 minutes of Orange!

it may be his way of pushing him out the door. A better way would be to keep it private and tell him, "Please enter the portal, I don’t want you here" at the end of the season. I'm sure airing your dirty laundry in public is endearing to current players and potential future ones.

Maybe he's decide to recruit over Chris through the portal and put Justin at the 2.

Personally, no. Not at all. The fact that JB has been able to make that philosophy "work" for as long as he has -and only have ONE losing season in 46 years - is an incredible accomplishment. But, the game is evolving and his coaching philosophy is not.
Gotcha. Agreed with that thought process. I think he’s sticking to what got him all the wins before as well.

When followed with “When a new coach comes, he can try man-to-man and that’s fine. I don’t think we’d be good enough to win.”

certainly was my thought...which is like textbook kool aid stuff. He truly thinks we are winning games due to the zone.

the other possibility is “I recruited a team in 2023 that can’t play man to man” which I don’t know if that’s better

I'm picturing the Dome in the first game of a new coach who came from outside the program. We come out pressing and then fall back into a man-for-man as the crowd roars.

I'm picturing the Dome in the first game of a new coach who came from outside the program. We come out pressing and then fall back into a man-for-man as the crowd roars.
And then we immediately get beat backdoor and JB smiles and goes “see?”

it sucks that again we’re back to zone vs man...when it’s more about stale vs fresh, adjusting vs not adjusting.

if we played zone 75 percent of the time, I’m sure there were be people still pissy, but personally I’d just like to see what happens. Were 13-10, not 20-3

JB himself said they would try man to man off season to which a few loyalists on this board actually bought into. Just sucks that every game feels like a repeat.

The comments on Bell scream to me that he’s already decided to transfer. I can’t blame the kid.
Wow, really??

he’s started all year when he was clearly not the best option.

This conversation is leading to some interesting ads.

116A46C2-B4AA-4E64-98A8-FC02613EF1A4.png

I think the type of player JB recruits also plays a factor in playing zone vs man. This team is all finesse. There’s not a physical player on this team. Really good man to man teams are more physical by nature. JB doesn’t recruit big, strong, physical players. You can probably count them on two hands the past 47 years.

I don't think it's fair to label this as "total laziness." This is about JB believing this is what is best. All his success over 47 years has galvanized his belief.

Okay, complacency then.

Cynical take-
JB realizes, as most do, that offenses have changed and now more effective against his 2-3 zone.
JB has not embraced or recruited to give M2M a chance because he does not want it to work.
JB does not want to be proven wrong while hearing his doubters crow about better M2M results.
Therefore JB damns the torpedo 3's to go down with his outdated ship powered by 2-3 zone.

I know some on this board will call many of us Boeheim haters or whatever, but listening to him recently, do you REALLY think everything is good? My gawd this is awful.

- Comstock captured it well (particularly with his Chad Johnson's line - Child, Please). Jim continues to make the point that no one thought we would be any good this year as a way to get credit for where we are (or at least an attempt not to get criticism). Really, Jim? Really? Just maybe there is something that YOU could have done to put us in a much better position this year.

- Related to my first point, Jim keeps referencing how we're struggling or not winning at times because we have a bunch of freshmen. Uh, okay Jim. Not many dispute that but what he fails to either understand or admit is that HE is the one responsible for the current makeup of our team. Again, please.

- His comment about the next coach can try playing man to man and see if he can do better... uh, yeah, I'm 98% sure the next coach will, as 98% of coaches in America don't rely on zone 100% of the time.

- Some of the callers on this show are just enabling his crap. That's part of the problem. If you surround yourself with people who mostly just tell you what you want to hear, you don't change. I don't know what the people close to Jim are saying, but I can only imagine for him to continue doubling down on his ignorance.

That all said, I'll be primed and ready for the game tomorrow. Regardless what I currently feel about Jim, I'm still a diehard fan. I don't have quite the fire that I used to have, but still full of orange love.
Don't think it's just the callers who are enabling it. That term has crossed my mine several times recently, I think he's surrounded by them.

Cynical take-
JB realizes, as most do, that offenses have changed and now more effective against his 2-3 zone.
JB has not embraced or recruited to give M2M a chance because he does not want it to work.
JB does not want to be proven wrong while hearing his doubters crow about better M2M results.
Therefore JB damns the torpedo 3's to go down with his outdated ship powered by 2-3 zone.

A couple years ago KenPom did a study of zone vs m2m. The result was that there was only a .1% difference in 3pt FG% defense. The difference between the two defenses was more pronounced in other areas such as offensive rebounds allowed.

A couple years ago KenPom did a study of zone vs m2m. The result was that there was only a .1% difference in 3pt FG% defense. The difference between the two defenses was more pronounced in other areas such as offensive rebounds allowed.

Wow, never saw this. Thanks for the heads up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom