The Jim Boeheim Show - before BC II | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before BC II

So, does this mean our offense always practices against a zone even though they play almost exclusively against man in games?
Ha. Great point. However, I think I've heard Jim say otherwise - but that wouldn't make any sense based on his earlier comments about how long it takes to practice m2m. I don't know anymore - TOO MANY DAMN CONTRADICTIONS - MY HEAD IS GOING TO EXPLODE!

Ha. Great point. However, I think I've heard Jim say otherwise - but that wouldn't make any sense based on his earlier comments about how long it takes to practice m2m. I don't know anymore - TOO MANY DAMN CONTRADICTIONS - MY HEAD IS GOING TO EXPLODE!

It looks it in your avatar.

Regarding Jim vs the Media… For many years I accepted JB being snarky with reporters as I interpreted his actions as an attempt to deflect criticism off the players and onto his own back. Effective leaders do this all the time. It helps build a special bond between coach and team and brings them together.

Over the last few seasons though, I feel like that has changed. It’s extremely difficult to say he’s deflecting criticism onto himself when he’s so openly chastising so many players to the media after every single game.

Maybe it’s me who has aged and in doing so, I just pay more attention to it; but I don’t remember JB being so hyper critical of players by name, so frequently, ever. There’s always a single doghouse player, but not 4-5. The difference between the coach in the two previous paragraphs is what bothers me most. If he was just the curmudgeon of old JB, I’d have no issue with him sticking around another 5 years. This version is very off-putting and has me hoping for another year at most.

“ People thought we’d win 16-18 games.”
- JAB

NO. Child, please.

YOU personally said this was an “NCAA team”,
AND “your best recruiting class EVER”.

It’s been abundantly clear all season that neither of these things is remotely true.

Virtually EVERY non-JAB person on the planet saw that we desperately needed an experienced scoring Forward from the Portal.

Except Jim.
Ima roll with 4 completely inexperienced dudes at Forward, and -
what could possibly go wrong?

Just imagine how much worse things would be if Maliq was the project many people suspected, rather than the excellent glue guy he is?

J-Bone, it’s time.
You need to retire ASAP.
Like, literally now, but right after we lose our last game of this season works too.
Im disappointed with Gus.

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: Americu Jim Boeheim Show Starts Nov. 9 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or https://twitter.com/hashtag/AskBoeheim?src=hashtag_click

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts
There’s now a third segment where Jim and Gomez can be seen on camera at:
The early shows tend to be in a one-hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: the Matt Park segment the night of the show and the Gomez segment the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

For the Matt Park Segment:

“Coach, Jim Satalin said after the Virginia game that “at least this proves we have a good team. We have played some good teams close but is there such a thing as “learning how to win’’? If so don’t you have to do that first before you are a good team?”

For the Gomez segment:

“Coach, two point field goal percentage has been one of the best predictors of victory over the years. Against Virginia Tech, they hit 68% of their two point shots and we hit 50%. Against Virginia they hit 48% and we hit 64%. (Unfortunately, we hit 20% of our three pointers to 43%.) Is that a difference in scheme, in talent, in experience or in effort?”

(For the third segment on Twitch I’ll improvise a question or two after listening to the rest of the show.)

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

The controversy sure upped the ratings for this show. I called at the usual time and was the third caller on the show with more guys right behind me.

But before Jim got them, he went off on his critics. Matt asked how he was doing. “Not good. I’m not happy to lose games. I’m upset after close losses. I’m not paid to be happy. It bothers me when people lie. As I answered him he made a face. If anybody thinks that was bullying, they don’t know what bullying is. I’ve answered 98% of the questions for 47 years. After North Carolina, that was a bad question. We'd closed out Notre Dame and were never ahead of North Carolina. Closing the game had nothing to do with it.” [I always thought it meant how you played in the final minutes of a close game.]

“The principles of a press conference are that you can ask any question you want and I can answer any question I want. I’m allowed not to answer. Do you expect the head coach to be happy after losing 4 games in a row?” [We won at Georgia Tech.] “The Clark play was illegal, (the guy passing to him had stepped out of bounds). I'm not going to be happy. It's not my job to be friendly and nice, just to answer the questions. I’m not going to be really happy in a press conference after a game like that.”

“Countless students have told me that they learned more form my press conferences than from their classes: they have to be prepared and have their facts straight.”

“Benny is back at practice. We’ve bene playing pretty good. People thought we’d win 16-18 games. We lost to Colgate, a very average Bryant team and Illinois. We’ve seen unbelievable improvement since. It’s a tough league. Virginia Tech is a good team and they are 3-9. North Carolina hasn’t been great in this league. Boston College beat Virginia Tech and Clemson. There are no easy games.”

The first caller was North Syracuse but it wasn’t me. Mark in North Syracuse begged Jim not to leave. “We’re hanging in there against top teams. Rock on!” JB: “We’ve had years before where we had to scrape out an NIT bid. We knew it would be a hard year. People have to understand the tremendous influence of the portal in our league. Wake Forest, Clemson, Pittsburgh and Miami. It’s freshmen vs. 5th year players. That makes it really tough. We’re going to need more experienced players. I’d like to keep the core group together but you never know who will leave. We’ve been contacted but it wasn’t possible to bring in a transfer. Everybody knew that Jesse and Joe and Judah would start. Benny was a 5 star and we had good players for the other spot. You add and subtract every year.”

“We did some good things against Virginia but you cant go 3/15 from three and miss 7 free throws and make turnovers we don’t normally make and except to win.”

Joey in Syracuse was asked how he was doing. “I’m maintaining. How are you?” [Can I have a puff?] “I hope you’re enjoying your meal.” JB: “I’m having chicken soup. It’s very under-rated.” Finally: “I saw no need for you to apologize for defending what you believe in.” [Is that what he did?] JB: “There’s always critics and somebody who will give them the chance. We’ve been down a little bit but it’s been a pretty good run in 47 years here.”

I called in question one about this team needing to learn how to win. [None of my questions was precisely answered.] I joked that I hoped the chicken soup had mellowed him. JB: “I’m always mellow, except after a bad loss. The definition of a good team could be interpreted differently. Playing #15 Miami close at Miami was a pretty good performance. We had a pretty good chance to beat #7 Virginia. Are we a top 24 team? No. We make too many mistakes you shouldn’t make and the others teams have made some big plays late in games. Gardner and Clark are 5th year players. Our freshmen played great games.”

Michael in Charlotte: “You’ve done a lot to deserve respect from the fandom. We’ve gone nine years without playing a conference game as a ranked team. You haven’t changed much about the team. Remember when Rocky learned from Apollo Creed? The zone gives players of inferior talent a chance to get a good shot.” JB: “That’s not a true statement. Zones are designed to take that away. With man-to-man you have to spend two hours in practice. We just weren’t good enough at it. In my judgement, we’d have won 5 games if we’d played man-to-man. When a new coach comes, he can try man-to-man and that’s fine. I don’t think we’d be good enough to win.”

“In those nine years we had success at the end of the season 4-5 times. If there had been no tournament or no success in them, I’d be gone. You have to look at the total year, not the first 10-20 games.” [Which is part of the whole season.] “Don’t evaluate based on rank. That’s nothing. Coach P had 5-6 years where he wasn’t ranked. He won 70% of his games here and went to 6-7 bowl games. It wasn’t good enough, but things haven’t been good since.”

We’ll add a couple of players in the off season. I think we are 6th in conference wins over those 9 years. Ahead of us were Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, and Florida State going to Final Fours and winning national championships”. [Florida State?] “We’ve been good enough to make the tournament in most years.”

A caller named Trevor wanted a Buddy and Jimmy update. [They had one last week,] “Buddy is having a solid year, shooting 38-40% from three. Jimmy had been playing on the worst team in Greece. They won only one game and that was on a ¾ court shot. But it was good to have experience in their A league. Now he’s on the second best team in the Czech Republic. He’s a 30 minute drive from Prague, one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Playing in Europe is a journey. You have to play your way up. He likes it there.”

Jeff in Oswego: “Thanks for everything. Bill Parcells gave my favorite press conferences of all time. (JB laughed). I’m not sure why the press feels entitled to information about the players.” [Because they are representing the public.] JB: “The media are the most sensitive people in the world. Then there are the callers who call in a kill Joe Girard, who has been a good player for four years here. Then they complain about what I said. It’s hypocrisy.”

Another caller, (didn’t get the name) congratulated the coach on “a good effort vs. Virginia” and predicted that Syracuse “will be dangerous in the tournament”. JB: “We have a long way to go. We’re normally thinking about the tournament this time of year. It’s really hard to lose games early. We’ve got to put something together. We know we can do it but we haven’t.”

Josh in Boulder suggested that “when you bench a player he potentially be a better player when he gets a chance to get back into the game”. JB: “It happens in some cases. I don’t take starter decisions lightly. Bell and Taylor are very close. Malik was not quite as good as benny because of the shooting but Benny hasn’t played well and we need Malik’s rebounding. I started as a sophomore but then got benched. I worked hard and got back into the starting line-up. The same thing happened with Jason Hart and Allen Griffin.“ [Actually Hart preceded Griffin by a couple of years and started all four. Griffin was tried at the 2 but didn’t have the shot for it. Tony Bland displaced him but Alan came back as the starting point guard as a senior, replacing Hart and had a great year. No one ever questioned Alan’s effort or attitude.]
“Chris is very lackadaisical. He’s not a player coaches like. He’s a good shooter but I don’t see the effort. When he guess the ball and hands it to the other team, that’s inexcusable. You don’t survive that. Remember what happened to Wally Pipp. Justin Taylor made some shots but then missed a couple and I put Chris back in. Symir works very hard but Judah was the best player on the floor against Virginia.

Pete in Baldwinsville asked for a prediction on who the national player of the year is. “Zac Eaton of Purdue. He’s dominating for a dominant team.”

Kyle in Carthage wondered if Jim still puts his team up in a hotel the night before home games. The answer was no – it got too noisy. Now they use their apartments.

Matt did his tour of the ACC. Clemson missed 7 straight field goals at the end of their lost to Bosotn College. JB: “It’s hard to do that and win. BC played good defense. They’ve beaten Virginia Tech, Notre Dame and Clemson and lost to Duke by 1 point. Virginia Tech is 3-9 [actually 3-8] and there’s not much difference (between them and Virginia). Wake Forest has really played well. Duke is getting better.” Matt: North Carolina State’s Terquavion Smith made 6 straight threes. Louisville beat Georgia Tech for their first conference win. Pitt beat UNC in the Dean Dome for a sweep of the season’s series.” JB: “It shows the value of veteran guys. North Carolina got a good transfer in Nance but Manek was better. But remember- they struggled last year, too.”

On this day in 2003, we just lost to Rutgers on the Lamizana shot, (1/3) but come back to beat Pitt on Jeremy McNeil’s foul shots and – JB said not to forget this: his following dunk. “The rest is history”.

Gomez was out sick. Jim cracked that he gets sick whenever he wants a vacation), so Matt continued with the second hour. They had a discussion about the advantages people have working remotely from home and how people who drive in to work should get more money for the inconvenience.

Matt noted the coach was looking at a sheet of advanced stats. Jim commented that projecting the production of reserves over 40 minutes can be misleading because the sample is too small. [That screws me.] “It also doesn’t account for defense.”

Boston College “has a good defense. They really got in their (Clemson’s) face. Our game with them was close all the way. Benny hit a couple of jumpers for us. They have veteran guys. Quinton Post is strong inside. 4-5 teams helped themselves at the portal turned the league upside down. Notre Dame misses their center, Paul Atkinson, who had 25 and 16 against us last year. It’s a well balanced league.”

“Playing man-for-man is not even a consideration. You can’t just try it. You have to practice it over and over again. It’s like a steaks and chops chef being asked to do Italian cooking. We tried man-for-man all summer and fall and it was terrible. We went back to what we do well. Our defense hasn’t really beaten us.” [Except for the Virginia Tech game.] Our close losses were on the offense and missed free throws, as well as plays like the one where the Virginia player, (Ben Vander Plas) went out of bounds and came back in to pass it to Cruz for the big three.” They discussed how neither of them could see this until they watched the film but the referee was “right there”. Matt thought the rule was that you had to ‘establish yourself in bounds before you can touch the ball. Jim said that the rule was that you couldn’t be the next player to touch the ball.

I called my second question about what changed the two point field goal percentage around from Virginia Tech to Virginia. JB: “Our inside defense is not good enough. We’ve struggled with it for two years, especially when Jesse got hurt last year. Our perimeter defense has been Ok but overall we haven’t been good enough. Our shooting and ball movement have been good. We are rebounding better. Our turnovers are down, relative to whom we are playing.” Matt said that our game was only the second time Virginia had allowed an opponent to hit 50% of their shots this season.

Jim in Syracuse got off to a bad start. “With all due respect, I’m not a ‘know-it-all’.” He wondered why Jim pulled Bell out in the second half when he “opened things up for the offense and gave it a different feel. He was really feeling it!” JB was tolerant. “You have a good point. Taylor missed a couple of shots and then Chris hit one and got fouled. He had a couple of defensive miscues you may not have noticed. It was very, very close (between Bell and Taylor). On some points you could take another coach and he would go a different way. I don’t disagree with your point.”

Eddie in Rome “saw Taylor in the pre-game. He’s got the look.”
Dusty Springfield - The Look of Love
“He’s going to be a player”. JB: “He’s more of a two guard, where he’s good defensively. He’s over-matched at the forward sometimes.”

They twitched to Switch, err…. switched to Twitch.

Matt asked about the Saturday-to-Monday turnaround. JB: “We don’t talk about it. Virginia talked about their legs and they didn’t even have to go anywhere.” [?!? Virginia played BC at home Saturday and then came here. Tech played us in Blacksburg Saturday and played at Miami on Tuesday.] “We got home at 2 in the morning (on Saturday). We should have played in the afternoon.”

On poster suggested there was a “silver lining to competing with ranked teams”. JB: “Certainly it’s a better than losing by 15 but there’s nothing to like in losing”.

I asked if, when coaches make announcements about their players at news conferences, they need to be prompted to do so by someone from the athletic department to do so, such that the failure to do that Monday night was the real problem. JB: “He caught me by surprise when he asked me the question. Then I realize the information had not been released so I answered it. Then the made a face.” I asked what the face looked like but got no response.

Jim continued talking about the previous week’s question about closing out games, referring to the Notre Dame and Georgia Tech games as successful close-outs, [against bad teams]. “There’s a conception that you are supposed to be nice and smile after a gut-wrenching loss. I’m not a diplomat.” [No, you aren’t.] “You want to win any game. When you don’t, it’s crushing. I’m not teaching a class. I don’t need to be patient. If it had bene released earlier I would have simply stated that we already answered that. Benny’s father asked for a personal day for his son. Benny hasn’t played well. Malik has bene the better player on the court. You have to decide you’re going out there and show ‘em.”

They had a golf discussion. Phil Michelson said that the Liv tour golfers, playing under Ryder Cup rules, would sweep the PGA’s best. Jim pointed out that they hadn’t won any of the tournaments they’ve bene in with the PGA golfers but said ti would be a highly viewed event. “They will figure out a way o get them into the majors – or they wouldn’t be majors. The LIV tour is the best thing ever to happen to golfers. It won’t go away with Saudi backing – it’s decimal point to them. But the PGA was keeping all that money away from the golfers. Kevin Roy, (Jim Roy’s son) has joined the tour and will make a minimum of $500,000 this year. JB was asked for his favorite local courses. He mentioned several, including Green Lakes, Turning Stone, Cooperstown and 7 Oaks, (“the one at Colgate”).

A poster named Edna said that there was ”no need for the media at the games”. Jim disagreed. Another asked him how often he talks to Coach Jim Calhoun. “Not in a couple of years.” He did talk to Coach K a couple of weeks ago. Doe she ever listen to Rony Seikaly’s radio show? Yes. Jim said that Rony makes $75,000 A NIGHT spinning those records. The top disc jockeys get $100-200,000 a night.” Jim’s memories of Stevie Thompson are the alley-oops he got from Sherman, one from mid-court. [I’ll always remember the ‘hike’ against Indiana in ’88.] “He couldn’t shoot and yet he still averaged 12-14 points a game. Stevie used to make 80 free throws in a row once he got in a rhythm – but he would miss 5 of his first 120 and that’s what he did in games.”

They talked about Billy Packer. “Packer, McGuire and Enburg was the best broadcasting crew ever, even over Sean McDonough, Bill Raftery and Jay Bilas. Billy was also an excellent businessman and ran several of them when not broadcasting games.

What’s the toughest place to play in on the road.? Jim quoted Louis Carnesecca: “Where they have the best players.”

Judah’s shooting is getting better. “He’s making 15 footers and his free throws. He’s got to be square to the basket and improve his hand position.”

The biggest challenge for the next coach will be to “get NIL down. We lost a couple of football players because of it. Teams have been able to pick up 2-3 experienced players and catch the top teams. You can’t do that with freshmen. The top teams always stayed on top because of that. That’s why they’ve got to expand the tourney. The talent is evening out and the top teams can be beaten. Twelve different teams have beaten #1 or #2 ranked teams this year.”
Lol

"We’re hanging in there against top teams. Rock on!”

That's my new mantra, to season end I suspect

JB: “I’m having chicken soup. It’s very under-rated.”

OIP.INMJIwXMl4CJ3YEAcJKyCgAAAA.jpeg

"and maybe some applesauce if it's not too chunky "

And then we immediately get beat backdoor and JB smiles and goes “see?”

JB himself said they would try man to man off season to which a few loyalists on this board actually bought into. Just sucks that every game feels like a repeat.
They played it for 10 minutes against Colgate. What more do you want?!!!!

JB: “I’m having chicken soup. It’s very under-rated.”

View attachment 224753

"and maybe some applesauce if it's not too chunky "
I visited my parents a few weeks ago. One night, we had dinner out at 4:30pm to beat the crowd. I gave my parents a hard time - it reminded me of a Seinfeld episode when Jerry visited his parents in Florida. Funny thing is, that there actually was a crowd at 5:30pm. I was ready for a second dinner at 8pm.

einfeld.jpg

This post is as good as it gets. Short and sweet, yet says plenty in the realm, and in relation to how so many nowadays 'pay no attention to the man behind the curtain' when it comes to what he spews.

Our opponents practice against the zone, using players who don't play zone.

Our opponents practice against the zone, using players who don't play zone.

Minnesota Twins Baseball GIF by Jomboy Media

This dude's attempt was better than yours here. ;)

Fact is, you have no clue what our opponents practice in practice. And, regardless, considering the fact that 99.9% of our opponents face 99.9% of the teams they play playing primarily m2m defense, it's hardly something they concern themselves with on a daily/weekly basis.

Minnesota Twins Baseball GIF by Jomboy Media

This dude's attempt was better than yours here. ;)

Fact is, you have no clue what our opponents practice in practice. And, regardless, considering the fact that 99.9% of our opponents face 99.9% of the teams they play playing primarily m2m defense, it's hardly something they concern themselves with on a daily/weekly basis.

Right. So when they play us, they have to practice against a zone manned by players who don't play zone, just as we have to practice against a man-for-man played by players who don't play man-for-man. Simple -and equal- logic.

good teams can play both. it's not a "is this your final answer" decision. adapt or die.

Right. So when they play us, they have to practice against a zone manned by players who don't play zone, just as we have to practice against a man-for-man played by players who don't play man-for-man. Simple -and equal- logic.

Therefore, logically speaking, we should swap practice partners with the next team we play so they can practice against a real zone and we can practice against a real man2man, win win.

Matt said that he thought that if a player had re-established himself with both feet in bounds, he could touch the ball and it's OK. Jim was adamant that it was an illegal play, that the player who went out of bounds cannot be the next player to touch the ball. Sorry if my narrative wasn't clear on that.
It was not my intention to say your narrative confused me. You did, as always, make a very interesting and informative report on the radio show. At the time the play happened I was not sure what the correct call would be. The game just continued as all was well. Then I read a few posts on here that sort of concluded the rule had changed. Then JB comes out and claims it was an illegal play. I would think JB would know the rules?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom