The Jim Boeheim Show - before Georgia Tech | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Georgia Tech

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Monday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: Home | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, SU fans have a sense of déjà vu. The football team had high expectations, had a one-sided loss early in the season and showed ability to dominate non-power conference teams while losing to power conference teams. Dino Babers, an animal lover, said that we need to be patient and wait for the elephants and the hippos to grow up and they eventually did. Do we need to wait for the giraffes and the ostriches to grow up? Or do we have a talent problem as Fran Fraschilla and Seth Greenberg have suggested?”

Second Hour, (if there is one): (There wasn’t.)

“Coach, Jimmy Satalin, during the broadcast of the Iowa game kept wondering why we don’t set more picks and screens to get our shooters open. Are there more things we can do to get open shots? Or are we setting them but just doing it poorly?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

Coach told Matt Park that the Georgia Tech game is “a tough turnaround. They have a difficult defense.” Matt pointed out that their “best player” point guard Jose Alvarado, will be out for this game. Jim averred that their best player was clearly 6-4 guard Michael Devoe, who is averaging 23.8 points per game or “that guy inside” James Banks, still another bruiser at 6-9 243, who is basically averaging a double-double at 11.8 points 9.5 rebounds and 4.7 blocks per game. “We’ve got to make shots against them. It’s hard to score against their zone. They’ll give a lot of people trouble with that defense….they play a match-up zone. It’s not an easy defense to attack. Some teams can stretch them out and get rebounds. But we’re not that kind of team. We have to keep the ball moving. “

“We are moving the ball better than in the last few years. Our assist to turnover ratio is 2-1, the best in a long time. We just aren’t making good shots. Some of it is that we are playing good defensive teams. We anticipated problems with having such a youthful team and with physical opponents. Bourama was sick for three games. He had no energy. He’s an energy guy. Marek is coming on strong. I like the team’s attitude. We aren’t beating good solid veteran teams unless we shoot well. Elijah was 3 for 5 from three against Iowa and 0 for 8 on two point shots. We’ve got to shoot better than that.”

“People think we never make adjustments. You don’t need them when you are playing well. At 25-0 you are making only minor adjustments. We are making more adjustments this year than we ever have… We change our offense and defense throughout the game... They have to know that they can do it...It’s a struggle for these guys to get them to understand what’s going on. Sometimes they need a year. Basketball is a game of making adjustments, constant tinkering. It’s harder for them to get it. Quincy still loses the ball under the basket. He doesn’t finish. We know he can shoot but he hasn’t been making them. Brycen’s a good player but he hasn’t shown it yet….Joe’s got a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio, which is great. He’s have more (assists) if his teammates made more shots. When you take 40 shots a game you can miss 6-7 in a row and shoot your way out of it. It’s an adjustment when you played off the ball in high school.”

“Sometimes the other team is just better. Sometimes you can beat a team that is better than you if you play very well and we have been trying to get good enough to be able to do that...All four teams we’ve lost to have had big men at least 6-11 and 250 pounds. Our center is 6-9 and 206…. Iowa is a really good team. We didn’t play that badly. We weren’t able to take advent age of them on defense. Tyus and Oshae would have been able to drive on them and score. Marek had a good first half. He needed to sustain it. This is the first year he’s had to be a guy who could have 20 point nights. Bohannon got off to a bad start but then their shooters started hitting. We needed to score when they were missing.”

“Last year Oshae could catch the ball and go to the basket. Driving past people was Tyus’s game. You don’t get assists but you get plenty of baskets. Assists come when you get the ball to the center in the drop-off area. They have prevented that and that forces you to shoot. We have got to make 10-12 footers.” (Ah, the Twilight Zone!)

The first caller was Earl who kept asking if he was on. He finally told the coach that he was ”doing really well to this point. You’re a Hall of Fame coach so you have all the answers.” JB: “Thanks Earl. “

Matt started to say that sometimes you have great talent and all you have to do is roll the balls out but JB stopped him. “Nobody rolls the balls out.” Matt went on to ask what you have to do when you don’t have great talent. JB: “You have to figure out how to develop players over time….We have the hardest early season schedule we’ve ever had. We can’t compete with these teams we just played but we can compete with other teams and we can get better. We are still doing basic things with the freshmen.”

Josh in Boulder Colorado suggested playing Bourama and Marek as a tandem. JB replied “We are a little limited at the post. That allows teams to focus on our perimeter shooters. Marek has to take advent age of that, drive and get to the foul line like he did in New York. We can get good looks at the three and try to drive. We’ve never had this tough a start with this tough a schedule.”

I called in my first question, asking if we just have to wait for the players to develop or do we have a talent problem. JB: “It’s a combination of both. We aren’t as talented as we have been in many years. (I believe me meant in many of the years in which he’s coached, not that it’s been many years since we had this relatively low level of talent.) But we’ve had teams this talented that at least made it to the NIT. It’s tough with no inside game. We’re not ready for the top 20-30 teams. We competed for 25-30 minutes. We’re going to need all these games before we get into January. Hopefully, we’ll be a lot better by then. If we aren’t, it will be tough.”

Matt went over the results of the Big 10-ACC challenge, which is going sharply in the direction of the Big Ten this year. Purdue clobbered Virginia 69-40. “Virginia struggles to score. Purdue made some threes and got ahead of them.” Ohio State crushed North Carolina 74-49. “UNC lost their big man early in the game. The Big 10 is strong this year. Our league is not what it was last year. But it will still be good.” Oklahoma State lost to Georgetown. “But they didn’t have their point guard, who is a great player. Penn State should never have lost to Mississippi. Maryland has a really strong team.”

Michael called in to say that Jim must be happy to “such a good leader as your son on the team.” JB: “It’s fun to have him in there. He’s a good player and a hard worker. “

They talked college football for a while. The ACC Atlantic has its 7th champion in 7 years. JB: “We’re in the wrong division.” He predicted Clemson will be even more motivated to win than Virginia will be to upset them because of all the talk that Clemson is undeserving because of their weak schedule. Dabo Sweeney will use that to fire up his players. “It’s a good motivation tool for the players. What he says to them won’t be what he says to the public. There are things said in the locker room that shouldn’t be out there.” Matt: “Have you ever used that tactic? JB: “Not too often. You don’t want to be more negative than you want to be. That’s why I never suggest that one guy lost the game for us. We lose games because we didn’t do enough as a team.”

On Carmelo Anthony’s comeback: he was named Western Conference Player of the week after getting 67 points and 23 rebounds in three games: Carmelo Anthony Game by Game Stats and Performance | ESPN
“I think they got tired of giving that ward to that guy on the Mavericks, (Luka Doncic). It’s a good fit for him, (Carmelo). Portland has one of the best backcourts in the league. His timing looks good. You don’t wear down with a year off. It’s like he’s a year younger than he actually is. His rebounding and defense are better. He’s happy to be back. He’s got another year or two. It’s easier to get into the flow when you start. It’s harder coming off the bench….Doncic is the only guy I’ve seen that I would compare to Larry Bird. Bird was stronger but Doncic is quicker. He came out of nowhere. He’s suddenly a top 5 player in the game. They’ve got a young team and they will be around for a while.”

The statement that stood out to me: "Sometimes the other team is just better. Sometimes you can beat a team that is better than you if you play very well and we have been trying to get good enough to be able to do that." Ugh.

Thanks for that write up.
JB laid it all out. We are limited in the post. Our guy is 6-9 and 206 lbs, We have trouble with physical teams. Marek has to be a guy who can have 20 point nights (pipedream?). We have to make our shots, because we don’t have Tyus or Oshae who could drive by defenders. And add that up — sometimes the other teams are just better. We are trying to get good enough to pull upsets ...

“People think we never make adjustments. You don’t need them when you are playing well. At 25-0 you are making only minor adjustments. ...

popcorn.gif

Sounds like the strategy is don’t play good teams. And if you must, hope you shoot the lights out.

coach went on a little tangent first hour. saying he never blames any one player for a loss if they don't play well . he said the whole team is responsible. the team didn't do enuf. i find that a small step forward.

He literally is in charge for building the roster. Such excuses.
I don’t see any excuse or comment about recruiting. He was discussing what we have on the roster, and being brutally frank about the team’s limitations. If asked, pretty sure JB would acknowledge he hasn’t landed the top 50 prospects he wanted but did not land at center or the guard spots.

or perhaps he has exactly what he wanted all along at the guard spots. not that it's working out all that well.

or perhaps he has exactly what he wanted all along at the guard spots. not that it's working out all that well.
Can’t be true — they offered, chased and lost on more highly rated guard recruits.

Imagine writing it. :(
i picture a whiskey glass stain on my original draft.

glass-whiskey-wood-table-bottles-background-warm-atmosphere-time-relax-whisky-space-text-59298320.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that write up.
JB laid it all out. We are limited in the post. Our guy is 6-9 and 206 lbs, We have trouble with physical teams. Marek has to be a guy who can have 20 point nights (pipedream?). We have to make our shots, because we don’t have Tyus or Oshae who could drive by defenders. And add that up — sometimes the other teams are just better. We are trying to get good enough to pull upsets ...
But he recruited that 6-9, 206 lb. guy. I know we’ve gone after other options, but at the end of the day, he’s responsible for the roster put together. I look at the center that Iowa rolled out the other night - Luke Garza. Big, beefy guy that was a 4 star recruit out of DC. Just outside the top 100. Kid’s a beast now. Why didn’t we show interest? We recruit that area all the time. I’m convinced that the long, lanky centers don’t work in a P5 conference. They get abused as we’ve seen time and time again. But as we’ve also seen, we recruit strictly for the zone - and that’s the problem.

but if you just watch the Iowa game and ignore the ball going in we played better than them for most of the game. We just cant make shots and nothing fixes that.

really if we just fixed the rebounding you could see 10-15 pt swing in the games pretty easily.. but I dont know if this crew can fix that with such poor positioning play after play.

we turned tie games into blow outs mid 2nd half in several of these losses just with poor shooting. Like to think that pendulum swings back a bit at some point.

but if you just watch the Iowa game and ignore the ball going in we played better than them for most of the game. We just cant make shots and nothing fixes that.

really if we just fixed the rebounding you could see 10-15 pt swing in the games pretty easily.. but I dont know if this crew can fix that with such poor positioning play after play.

we turned tie games into blow outs mid 2nd half in several of these losses just with poor shooting. Like to think that pendulum swings back a bit at some point.

And the rebounding vs. Iowa was 36-37. Shooting is my least worry about this team.

But he recruited that 6-9, 206 lb. guy. I know we’ve gone after other options, but at the end of the day, he’s responsible for the roster put together. I look at the center that Iowa rolled out the other night - Luke Garza. Big, beefy guy that was a 4 star recruit out of DC. Just outside the top 100. Kid’s a beast now. Why didn’t we show interest? We recruit that area all the time. I’m convinced that the long, lanky centers don’t work in a P5 conference. They get abused as we’ve seen time and time again. But as we’ve also seen, we recruit strictly for the zone - and that’s the problem.
Good point — we need some power at center or at power forward or ideally both. Tough when you are reed thin at both spots. I don’t know the particulars of which centers JB looked at in Sidibe’s year. Over the years, JB has had Craig Forth, Arinze Onouke, Rick Jackson, Fab Melo, Coleman, Rak — just some that come to mind. None of those were the lanky type, and on the flip side we have had Keita, Chukwu, and now Sidibe, Edwards and Awak.
I don’t believe these thin centers were JB’s preferences, as much as the ones who were willing when offered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom