The Jim Boeheim Show- before Notre Dame | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- before Notre Dame

I know JB said he thinks this may be his best class. I just think that may be a case of JB saying things. Getting Coleman and Thompson together, Flynn and Greene together, Melo, Edelin, and GMac together are all better. Those classes were smaller but the players were just better.
Those guys were able to make immediate adaptations to the college game.
Current freshman show flashes but don't have that ability.

Judah Mintz has talent...but he's just learning to play point guard at college level.
That's a steep learning curve.
Especially ACC level.

This day in age, the only way to get 4 year players, is to get them from the portal after they spend a couple years on the bench at another school...

Sort of like we lose guys that will be 4 year players to the portal every year.

This day in age, the only way to get 4 year players, is to get them from the portal after they spend a couple years on the bench at another school...

Exactly. Guys that last 4 years transfer generally because they haven’t played much at the start. If they have they are generally gone before senior year.

I guess the takeaway is that in his mind he has already accepted that the Syracuse basketball team is a low major team. One that should be competitive with the Bryants and Colgates and have no business to be paired with ranked teams like Illinois.

About Fraschilla’s comment that it was a game between a rebuilding team that used transfers and one that used freshmen, he had earlier said on Orange Nation that recruiting the top players in the portal was all about the money they could get through NIL: “We had to recruit freshmen. We didn’t have NIL. We got 6 freshmen to go with 4 veterans. If we’d gotten a portal forward what do we do with the 3 freshmen forwards? If we brought a guard, what do we do with the two seniors and a freshmen we have back there. We’ve got Jesse at center. It would have been difficult this year. But there’ll be movement at the end of this year. This was not a year for the portal.”
I love JB and all, but he was the one who made the decision to bring in 3 Freshman Forwards. He didn't have to.

I know JB said he thinks this may be his best class. I just think that may be a case of JB saying things. Getting Coleman and Thompson together, Flynn and Greene together, Melo, Edelin, and GMac together are all better. Those classes were smaller but the players were just better.
He needed to say that because we didn’t do anything in the portal.

Now, it’s clear it was a terrible decision to handle the roster the way he did, and he’s saying “well the portal guys all cost money!”.

He thinks we’re all dumb

Thanks Steve, always appreciate the time you take doing these. I especially like when you inserted fact checking details into some of JB's comments that just weren't accurate. It reminded me of something similar in the political arena, but I just can't put my finger on it...

Thank you for the recap. It is annoying how much Coach Boeheim thinks fans aren’t intelligent and can’t see thru his words. It’s just tiring and deflating at this point.

Thank you for the recap. It is annoying how much Coach Boeheim thinks fans aren’t intelligent and can’t see thru his words. It’s just tiring and deflating at this point.
LOL alot of fans are idiots... Its called Fandom.. Fans are very reactionary and extreme in their views one way or another and the media feeds into that. JB will be gone soon, He is close to 80 and I welcome a change but I sure do worry cause I have seen way to many times that following the legend is not easy. I don't love where we are right now but I am very thankful we are not Louisville or what Pitt has been and hope to never see that.

SWC75 appreciate the recap, as always.

Overall, I'm done taking anything he says to mean anything. This feels like a chore for him and he's just going to say whatever he wants. He contradicts himself so much that it's not even worth tracking anymore.

There is no one in the local media and barely anyone in the national media that I think he really cares about. So be it.

It is probably better to stay away from these shows or summaries. We pretty much know what JB will say.
Unless you haven’t watched the games, you also know this team is limited except for Edwards and Mintz. At best it is a work in progress, with young guys who might be OK in their 3rd years, maybe next year if we are lucky.

It is a tough message when JB says we will not land starters from the portal without more NIL help. Don’t like it but he isn’t wrong.

This is my biggest fear. That we have entered an era of being a 'have not' despite drawing the biggest crowds. That's not what's going to matter now.

Those guys were able to make immediate adaptations to the college game.
Current freshman show flashes but don't have that ability.

Judah Mintz has talent...but he's just learning to play point guard at college level.
That's a steep learning curve.
Especially ACC level.

12/17/83 at Marquette. Pearl Washington gets called for four charging fouls against Marquette and we lose 68-79. He never did that again.

If I recall the players can use the portal once. After that the old rules apply.

He needed to say that because we didn’t do anything in the portal.

Now, it’s clear it was a terrible decision to handle the roster the way he did, and he’s saying “well the portal guys all cost money!”.

He thinks we’re all dumb

Is he wrong?

Portal guys cost money and so do good freshmen….we can pass the hat for ya Jimmy.

We were stocked with upperclassmen last year and stunk up the joint….enough with the excuses….just win baby.

LOL alot of fans are idiots... Its called Fandom.. Fans are very reactionary and extreme in their views one way or another and the media feeds into that. JB will be gone soon, He is close to 80 and I welcome a change but I sure do worry cause I have seen way to many times that following the legend is not easy. I don't love where we are right now but I am very thankful we are not Louisville or what Pitt has been and hope to never see that.

I've moved toward the position that we can't just appoint a guy who's going to do things the same way to replace him. A hot shot coach who wants to aggressively use the portal and NIL and go for one-and-dones might be the only way to avoid permanent mediocrity - but even he will have to be adequately funded to play the modern game, which can't be done with 'under-the-radar' types.

Actually, I thought the most controversial thing he said was the 'critics' and 'fans' are two different kinds of people and no one can belong to both categories, similar to his statement last year that the critics never come to the games. Does he look around the Dome and say "Everyone here loves me and wants me to coach forever"?

Is he wrong?
It doesn’t matter if he’s right about that.

He told us this was his best freshman class ever. When he said that, he was also implying that they would be able to contribute right away (they are the best ever, right?). The only guy from the portal he got was a backup center from Duquesne.

So when you tell everyone that this your best freshman class ever and you totally ignore the portal, you better be right about the freshman.

Clearly he’s not right about the freshman.

Now whether he genuinely BELIEVED that about the freshman, or he said it so he could have an excuse not to portal, who knows (both are bad).

So sure, the portal guys may cost money. So that’s it? That’s why we have a bad roster? We are the only team effected by this?

Actually, I thought the most controversial thing he said was the 'critics' and 'fans' are two different kinds of people and no one can belong to both categories, similar to his statement last year that the critics never come to the games. Does he look around the Dome and say "Everyone here loves me and wants me to coach forever"?
Yes

"Real fans don't give up, the critical fans are quitters" -paraphrased
I'm doing a great job, it's just the darn NIL and scheduling and our freshmen playing upperclassmen and... -takeaway

It Is Great To Be King -conclusion

I think it will be better for my mental health if I avoid the press conferences and these show recaps the rest of the season (although I do appreciate SWCs effort)

Should I continue doing them?

It doesn’t matter if he’s right about that.

He told us this was his best freshman class ever. When he said that, he was also implying that they would be able to contribute right away (they are the best ever, right?). The only guy from the portal he got was a backup center from Duquesne.

So when you tell everyone that this your best freshman class ever and you totally ignore the portal, you better be right about the freshman.

Clearly he’s not right about the freshman.

Now whether he genuinely BELIEVED that about the freshman, or he said it so he could have an excuse not to portal, who knows (both are bad).

So sure, the portal guys may cost money. So that’s it? That’s why we have a bad roster? We are the only team effected by this?

I don't know that we have a bad roster. I can see this group of talents maturing and coming together to form a good team. The problem is that, in modern basketball, that may not be possible. These guys might be on other teams when they fully mature. And yet, do we have the resources to put together a team of guys who can play at a high level immediately and will stay because they've already used the portal?

This is why what he says means nothing.

It's either willful ignorance, performative lies or he's so insulated in his own world that he truly believes the nonsense.

None of it is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom