The latest all encompassing recruiting thread | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

The latest all encompassing recruiting thread

Tiger-sized bags of cash also help with recruiting.

How about trash bags full of cash?

We might know somebody (assuming he’s as fond of football as hoops) who could swing that... ;)

I could swing a snack sized, store brand, zip lock full of pennies.

Well, that’s probably enough to beat out Rutgers or UConn for a recruit. :p

Perhaps my love and passions for SU comes out a little strong. I guess what I am saying is this:

Syracuse is by far a better University in totality than 70 -75% of D1 schools. It just baffles me that we have some MAC programs and all but 3 or 4 P5 teams out recruiting us year in and out.
And with different staffs over and over again. That should tell you all you need to know. Our recruiting has been about the same for the last 20 years. And we have had 5 different staffs. They all suck at recruiting? No. We have a lot of disadvantages. Have you ever sold anything in your life? We all love Syracuse. So we are easy sells. But most recruits usually come from a proximity that is close to you. We don't have that luxury. I wish we did. We have a players dad that thinks we could be a player for big time prospects in Florida. Nice but I think it is very wishful thinking. Someone, anyone, give me a reason why a kid would leave the state of Florida to play for us if they have strong offers from Florida schools? Those schools win. We don't. Those schools are close to their homes. We aren't. Those schools have girls in cute clothes all year round,we don't. We have a great school. So do they. The top schools get great recruits that live close by.

And with different staffs over and over again. That should tell you all you need to know. Our recruiting has been about the same for the last 20 years. And we have had 5 different staffs. They all suck at recruiting? No. We have a lot of disadvantages. Have you ever sold anything in your life? We all love Syracuse. So we are easy sells. But most recruits usually come from a proximity that is close to you. We don't have that luxury. I wish we did. We have a players dad that thinks we could be a player for big time prospects in Florida. Nice but I think it is very wishful thinking. Someone, anyone, give me a reason why a kid would leave the state of Florida to play for us if they have strong offers from Florida schools? Those schools win. We don't. Those schools are close to their homes. We aren't. Those schools have girls in cute clothes all year round,we don't. We have a great school. So do they. The top schools get great recruits that live close by.
Actually I have been in high end financial sales for 20 years since leaving Syracuse. I have series 24, series 7, 63 and few other professional licenses. I find value in under valued and depressed asset's literally everyday. Thats probably why the sell of Syracuse is easy for a salesmen.

You make a good point that I agree with regarding local recruiting and I disagree with you a little. There is a whole "group" on here that believes its sooooooo difficult to recruit kids to Syracuse that we should recruit kids from Florida to come all the way up to Syracuse. As a salesman thats nuts to me. Instead of maximizing and dominating our local "northeast territory" (NY, NJ, PA, Conn, MA) and sprinkling in key recruits from elsewhere, we should recruit nationally. If I sold recruiting and not securities and one of my junior reps said "I have a really bad to mediocre product to sell so I am going to go 1400 miles away to a territory that is the most competitive AND compete vs the best product with better weather, better girls, close to home, etc etc I would fire him. Its crazy and further exacerbates our problem. Here is a solution GET BETTER local players. Our recruiting classes haven't been exactly good with the Florida strategy anyways. In fact every year under Babers we have had a higher ranked NY prospect than the top player he recruited. Here is a breakdown I did a couple weeks ago

Sutomcat I am glad you compile this every year. I looked at the last three years and it seems we have high end talent in NY every single year that other P5 schools mine. Of particular note is the fact that we have multiple NYS players every year that are much higher ranked than Syracuse's highest commit that same year and they commit to other high P5 schools elsewhere. If we got 5 of top 8 or even 1 of top 2 players in our state every year, its scary to think how much better we would be. Again we would be essentially adding the best player to the class every year. New reason to say I love NY. Here is what we could've added.

2021 SU top recruit currently NYS Moss #926
*Rb Seven Mcgee 4star #120 overall recruit Oregon commit 8 P5 offers
*DE Jahzion Harris 4star #206 overall recruit TXAM commit 15 high P5 offers
*We got the 3rd and 4th recruits Moss and Mathew which is good. So far the 3rd best player in NY is our top recruit. again at the moment

2020 SU top recruit Kinsler #665 overall

*Rb Tirek Murphy 4 star #270 overall recruit Purdue commit 24 P5 offers
*Rb Israel Abanikanda 3star #425 overall recruit Pitt commit 11 P5 offers
*Ath William Mohan3 star #459 overall recruit Mich commit 12 P5 offers
*LB Cullen Coleman 3 star #532 overall recruit Northwestern commit 19 P5 offers
* Rb Lamy Constant 3 star #540 overall recruit Toledo recruit after WV transfer 22 P5 offers
We got # 6 state recruit Mahar

2019 SU top recruit Kopogba #432
*DE Adisa Isaac 4 star #92 overall recruit Penn ST commit 27 P5 offers 15 high P5 offers. We were close to getting him
*S Osita Smith 4 star #282 overall recruit WV commit - now UMD
*DT Jason Blisset 4 star #294 overall Miami commit 15 P5 offers
*DT Jared Harrison-Haunte 3 star #519 overall Miami commit 20 P5 offers
Syracuse didnt get any of the top 20 in the state

Dasher you dont have to be a experienced salesperson to see the logic in recruiting locally, creating a base and territory with a fence around it. Lets hope Syracuse closes more of the top talent in NY state. Lets go Orange!!!!!

Last edited:
Actually I have been in high end financial sales for 20 years since leaving Syracuse. I have series 24, series 7, 63 and few other professional licenses. I find value in under valued and depressed asset's literally everyday. Thats probably why the sell of Syracuse is easy for a salesmen.

You make a good point that I agree with regarding local recruiting and I disagree with you a little. There is a whole "group" on here that believes its sooooooo difficult to recruit kids to Syracuse that we should recruit kids from Florida to come all the way up to Syracuse. As a salesman thats nuts to me. Instead of maximizing and dominating our local "northeast territory" (NY, NJ, PA, Conn, MA) and sprinkling in key recruits from elsewhere, we should recruit nationally. If I sold recruiting and not securities and one of my junior reps said "I have a really bad to mediocre product to sell so I am going to go 1400 miles away to a territory that is the most competitive AND compete vs the best product with better weather, better girls, close to home, etc etc I would fire him. Its crazy and further exacerbates our problem. Here is a solution GET BETTER local players. Our recruiting classes haven't been exactly good with the Florida strategy anyways. In fact every year under Babers we have had a higher ranked NY prospect than the top player he recruited. Here is a breakdown I did a couple weeks ago

Sutomcat I am glad you compile this every year. I looked at the last three years and it seems we have high end talent in NY every single year that other P5 schools mine. Of particular note is the fact that we have multiple NYS players every year that are much higher ranked than Syracuse's highest commit that same year and they commit to other high P5 schools elsewhere. If we got 5 of top 8 or even 1 of top 2 players in our state every year, its scary to think how much better we would be. Again we would be essentially adding the best player to the class every year. New reason to say I love NY. Here is what we could've added.

*We got the 3rd and 4th recruits Moss and Mathew which is good. So far the 3rd best player in NY is our top recruit. again at the moment

* Rb Lamy Constant 3 star #540 overall recruit Toledo recruit after WV transfer 22 P5 offers

*DE Adisa Isaac 4 star #92 overall recruit Penn ST commit 27 P5 offers 15 high P5 offers. We were close to getting him

Dasher you dont have to be a experienced salesperson to see the logic in recruiting locally, creating a base and territory with a fence around it. Lets hope Syracuse closes more of the top talent in NY state. Lets go Orange!!!!!
Great post. To further your point why dont we hire an assistant with strong east coast, specifically NY NJ connections.
Guys with strong Texas, CA. AZ backgrounds dont make sense to me as we are never going to do well recruiting those states. Draw a 6 hour radius from SU. Add in Florida, DC Atlanta, Detroit, Chicago all easy direct flights and focus.

The sell of Syracuse is "easy" to you because you seem to think all high school kids think the same as you. It doesn't take much to convince the people on this board that Syracuse is a good sell. We've been fans our whole lives. High school kids have seen a few winning seasons their entire lives

First of all if you were running my junior reps I'd fire you. You look at this entirely the wrong way. Selling something is need based i.e. you provide something of value like an education, path to the NFL or whatever problem you are looking to solve. If I look at a prospects skill set as buying power or budget (i.e. have something as a sales rep I should be looking to pin down) then why would I spend a bulk of my time in a territory where 5-10 prospects have the budget or skill set that allows me to be successful when I can go to a state like FL where there are over 300 prospects annually. Anyone with any sense of sales will tell you go where there is an abundance of talent or budget if you will, and unless you have named accounts don't put all your eggs in one or two baskets.

Since we are waxing poetic about NY recruits how many have gone on to do much at a high level in recent memory? Curtis Samuel, Dominique Easley and ? Ebo and Ishaq washed out and not only did they not sign with us but didn't pan out after we wasted a ton of time recruiting them. Hell a Florida 3* in Steve Ishmael did more than our last NY 4* in Broyld. Look at some of the busts from NY like Collier and others ... I've worked in sales a while and honestly your strategy makes no sense ... and believe me I hit my annual quota.

The sell of Syracuse is "easy" to you because you seem to think all high school kids think the same as you. It doesn't take much to convince the people on this board that Syracuse is a good sell. We've been fans our whole lives. High school kids have seen a few winning seasons their entire lives
Lets say your correct. Do you think its a easier sell for a local kid to go to Syracuse than somebody 1400 miles away?
Great post. To further your point why dont we hire an assistant with strong east coast, specifically NY NJ connections.
Guys with strong Texas, CA. AZ backgrounds dont make sense to me as we are never going to do well recruiting those states. Draw a 6 hour radius from SU. Add in Florida, DC Atlanta, Detroit, Chicago all easy direct flights and focus.
Duhhhhhh! Lol. I concur 100% I just listed the NY kids that are higher rated than our recruits. When you factor NJ, PA and the rest of the NE its staggering. You take it a little further than I would when you add Atlanta Chicago and Detroit, but I dont disagree. Bottom line I just want more of the local NE talent and for us to haveca footprint.

Last edited:
First of all if you were running my junior reps I'd fire you. You look at this entirely the wrong way. Selling something is need based i.e. you provide something of value like an education, path to the NFL or whatever problem you are looking to solve. If I look at a prospects skill set as buying power or budget (i.e. have something as a sales rep I should be looking to pin down) then why would I spend a bulk of my time in a territory where 5-10 prospects have the budget or skill set that allows me to be successful when I can go to a state like FL where there are over 300 prospects annually. Anyone with any sense of sales will tell you go where there is an abundance of talent or budget if you will, and unless you have named accounts don't put all your eggs in one or two baskets.

Since we are waxing poetic about NY recruits how many have gone on to do much at a high level in recent memory? Curtis Samuel, Dominique Easley and ? Ebo and Ishaq washed out and not only did they not sign with us but didn't pan out after we wasted a ton of time recruiting them. Hell a Florida 3* in Steve Ishmael did more than our last NY 4* in Broyld. Look at some of the busts from NY like Collier and others ... I've worked in sales a while and honestly your strategy makes no sense ... and believe me I hit my annual quota.
I can tell your a decent salesperson as you totally ignored my overarching theme of building a territory while cherry picking just NY prospects. Here is where I crush your argument.
Point 1- The Florida strategy hasn't worked under HCSS or HCDB. Look at our records and all of the recruiting blowback even HCDB has discussed.
Point 2- As I listed every single year we had higher rated kids instate than HCDB was able to get out of state. Granted not even a master salesman like you will have a 100% close rate. This is why you focus on a territory. In your assessment you totally neglect the concept of a "territory" Have you ever looked at the recruiting in PA and NJ?????
Point 3- As a power 5 team you typically have a fanbase and following centered around your school and extending outward. Obviously recruits in this area (territory) should be a easier sell to your school. This isn't a some grand sales scheme of mine... it's literally what all other P5 schools do! Even true National programs like Alabama, GA, OHST, LSU USC close the top recruits in state year in and out. Again that is the benefit of being a P5 team
Point 4- You mention lack of talent in the area 5-10 prospects as you say. Here are a couple NFL draft picks from the "territory" I listed. You are 100% correct, 5-10 DRAFTED IN 1st round
2018 NFL draft
Rb Saquon Barkely NJ/PA #2 draft pick Penn ST
G Quenton Nelson NJ #6pick ND
T Mike McGlinchey PA #9 pick ND
S Minkah Fitzpatrick NJ #11 Alabama
WR DJ Moore PA #24 UMD
CB Mike Hughes DE #30 UCF

2019 NFL Draft
OLB Rashan Gary NJ #12 Mich
DT Christian Wilkins MA #13 Clemson
G Chris Lindstrom MA#14 BC
QB Dwayne Haskins NJ #15 OH St
Wr N'keal Harry Can #32 AZST

Of course HCDB wasn't around to recruit these guys. Thats not the point. The point is there is a ton of talent in our "territory". High end difference makers that we should be focusing on. Again I used the 1st round players just to totally crush your argument of 5-10 good prospects. The reason we haven't been good is based directly back to recruiting. Under HCDB there have been tons of higher rated prospects every single year than the guys we get. If you took a few minutes and analyzed this I bet you would agree. So our strategy has been a MAC approach. Dont dominate a territory but get the the leftovers from a "hotbed" Again thats why our recruiting classes have been so suspect and low rated, and the performance on the field smh. This idea of a territory is something I spoke to Dr Gross about a couple times directly. As we know he started the "NY's team" marketing campaign which personifies this strategy. How much better would we be if we actually won some of the high end talent in our territory?

Last edited:

Curtis Samuel washed out? He was a first team All-American and All Big Ten in 2016. Was a 2nd round draft pick and is a starting WR in the NFL
Dominique Easley washed out? he was a top DL for a Florida team which finished 11-2. Was a first round draft pick and played 4yrs in NFL until succumbing to a number of ACL injuries.
I think you have things wrong. I'm not even wasting my time on looking up any other things based on those few issues. I wish SU could suck that bad.

Curtis Samuel washed out? He was a first team All-American and All Big Ten in 2016. Was a 2nd round draft pick and is a starting WR in the NFL
Dominique Easley washed out? he was a top DL for a Florida team which finished 11-2. Was a first round draft pick and played 4yrs in NFL until succumbing to a number of ACL injuries.
I think you have things wrong. I'm not even wasting my time on looking up any other things based on those few issues. I wish SU could suck that bad.
Sudano I am glad you ripped apart his examples as they were very baffling. He is complaining about missing on local players that were All Americans and high NFL draft picks. More importantly they would've been better players in all probability then the guys we had. Notice he didn't mention that. A lot of the excuses and "Syracuse sucks" nonsense is just that nonsense that I disagree with. If we embrace a P5 recruiting philosophy focusing in our territory and expanding outwardly we are more likely to get better recruits but just as importantly build recruiting foundations that will feed our program in the future

Last edited:
Sudano I am glad you ripped apart his examples as they were very baffling. He is complaining about missing on local players that were All Americans and high NFL draft picks. More importantly they would've been better players in all probability then the guys we had. Notice he didn't mention that. A lot of the excuses and "Syracuse sucks" nonsense is just that nonsense that I disagree with. If we embrace a P5 recruiting philosophy focusing in our territory and expanding outwardly we are more likely to get better recruits but just as importantly build recruiting foundations that will feed our program in the future

I'm ok with your argument about wanting to focus in the NE. But you think everything we are up against is just excuses? Don't think schools have better facilities than us, better recent history - all that is ridiculous and you could just plow right through that with your excellent sales skills and have kids lining up at the doorstep?

I'm ok with your argument about wanting to focus in the NE. But you think everything we are up against is just excuses? Don't think schools have better facilities than us, better recent history - all that is ridiculous and you could just plow right through that with your excellent sales skills and have kids lining up at the doorstep?
MSOrange As usual you make good points. Yes I am certain that some schools may have better facilities, recent history etc. The question is the recruiting counter point. The strategy that I am talking about simply allows us to build a recruiting foundation, take advantage of our name recognition in the region and any goodwill associated with it. Finally it takes advantage on the big draw of playing near home. Let me give you a few examples.

I routinely watched GMAC play ball in front of 300- 1k fans, maybe more at home games. I also hear that Joe Girard routinely gets to play in front of a sizable group of his parents, friends and family at the local P5 school. It would seem logical that playing time and playing close to home coupled with a good academics in a P5 conference is a pretty good sell. If you dont believe me ask Ed Oliver why he stayed home and played for U of H instead of Alabama or LSU. If you focus on recruits that are 1300 miles away you give away the ability to play in front of family and friends for half the year. Simply put you have more potential selling points to local kids. You also get the "referral effect" from others locally that know and love Syracuse. Why do you think when we watch the announcements of these 5 star kids on tv there is always a coach or parent hoping the kid goes to "State" not far away lol.

As somebody who always hits his annual quota Wfschrec can tell you sales is a mindset. Regardless if your selling a Brand new Mercedes Benz below cost or a old Ford Pinto above cost, a good salesperson can win or lose the sale. In competetive selling (which recruiting is) his belief and conveyance of the benefit of his product is important. The more you talk to the customer the more it will (or wont) come through. As a salesperson I am simply saying target the areas where more of your selling benefits will factor in. Even if we do this effectively it doesn't mean kids will be "lining up at the doorstep" but the possibility increases. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
MSOrange As usual you make good points. Yes I am certain that some schools may have better facilities, recent history etc. The question is the recruiting counter point. The strategy that I am talking about simply allows us to build a recruiting foundation, take advantage of our name recognition in the region and any goodwill associated with it. Finally it takes advantage on the big draw of playing near home. Let me give you a few examples.

I routinely watched GMAC play ball in front of 300- 1k fans, maybe more at home games. I also hear that Joe Girard routinely gets to play in front of a sizable group of his parents, friends and family at the local P5 school. It would seem logical that playing time and playing close to home coupled with a good academics in a P5 conference is a pretty good sell. If you dont believe me ask Ed Oliver why he stayed home and played for U of H instead of Alabama or LSU. If you focus on recruits that are 1300 miles away you give away the ability to play in front of family and friends for half the year. Simply put you have more potential selling points to local kids. You also get the "referral effect" from others locally that know and love Syracuse. Why do you think when we watch the announcements of these 5 star kids on tv there is always a coach or parent hoping the kid goes to "State" not far away lol.

As somebody who always hits his annual quota Wfschrec can tell you sales is a mindset. Regardless if your selling a Brand new Mercedes Benz below cost or a old Ford Pinto above cost, a good salesperson can win or lose the sale. In competetive selling which recruiting is his belief and conveyance of the benefit of his product is important. The more you talk to the customer the more it will (or wont) come through. As a salesperson I am simply saying target the areas where more of your selling benefits will factor in. Even if we do this effectively it doesn't mean kids will be "lining up at the doorstep" but the possibility increases. Does that make sense?

Fair enough. We both obviously want the same thing which is success for SU and that's the main thing. I appreciate your passion for the program. We need more fans as passionate as you are.

Read the post you responded to again. The washouts were guys not named Samuels and Easley.

Read the post you responded to again. The washouts were guys not named Samuels and Easley.
I got that but it points to the futility of his argument as those guys are demonstrably better than what we had. The bigger point is there were NY products. Just like Isaiah Wilson who was a 1st rd T the other day. But since he brought up Samuels lets look at OH St. They have TE Ruckert who is #1 on depth chart and the 4star OT Matt Jones who would've easily started for us day 1 looking at our line play smh. Also the starting K for them last year was the kid Haubell from Buffalo. So OH ST seems to like our top end talent. Just wished we kept more of it at home.

Lets say your correct. Do you think its

Duhhhhhh! I just listed the NY kids that are higher rated than our recruits. When you factor NJ, PA and the rest of the NE its staggering.

no I said how many on a high level in recent memory and named those two ... called the others washouts .. try reading it. Comprehension not your strong suit. That is why I trailed them with a question mark because after those two it is hard to find many others.

Read it again genius. Others figured it out, apparently you couldn't.

I got that but it points to the futility of his argument as those guys are demonstrably better than what we had. The bigger point is there were NY products. Just like Isaiah Wilson who was a 1st rd T the other day. But since he brought up Samuels lets look at OH St. They have TE Ruckert who is #1 on depth chart and the 4star OT Matt Jones who would've easily started for us day 1 looking at our line play smh. Also the starting K for them last year was the kid Haubell from Buffalo. So OH ST seems to like our top end talent. Just wished we kept more of it at home.

That isn't the point ... read my post again .. that is 3 guys over a decade ... Florida puts out that many times 40 in a single season.

And none of them were ever coming here ... you seem to ignore that part completely which appears to be your MO.

As somebody who always hits his annual quota Wfschrec can tell you sales is a mindset. Regardless if your selling a Brand new Mercedes Benz below cost or a old Ford Pinto above cost, a good salesperson can win or lose the sale. In competetive selling (which recruiting is) his belief and conveyance of the benefit of his product is important. The more you talk to the customer the more it will (or wont) come through. As a salesperson I am simply saying target the areas where more of your selling benefits will factor in. Even if we do this effectively it doesn't mean kids will be "lining up at the doorstep" but the possibility increases. Does that make sense?

You need sales training ... that is the conclusion I can derive from this ... try listening to the brutal truth podcast. And why is it 5 star kids go to factories ... its called exposure or like Ishaq said "his brand" you forget they have to sell themselves too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom