The latest all encompassing recruiting thread | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

The latest all encompassing recruiting thread

P5 schools SU beat out in recruiting (Baber's classes).

2020 wasn’t as good. Overall it’s impressive because most of these teams have been better than us the last 15 years.

2019- Colorado Oregon st Vandy Arizona Wake Texas Tech Kansas st Rutgers Wash st Kansas

Same grade of 84 but a few points higher than us
Colorado Louisville

2018- Georgia Tech Washington St Indiana Purdue Colorado Illinois Iowa st Rutgers Virginia Kansas Arizona Wake Kansas st Oregon st BC Texas tech

Same grade of 85 but a few points higher than us
Missouri Iowa Northwestern Cal Pitt Duke

2017 - Virginia Minnesota Kansas st Indiana Vandy BC Wake Kansas Purdue

Same grade of 83 but a few points higher
Rutgers Washington st Illinois Georgia Tech Oregon St Iowa st

2016 - West Virginia Vandy Iowa st Washington st Wake Oregon st Georgia Tech Virginia Rutgers Kansas Kansas st Illinois BC Purdue

Same grade of 83 but a few points higher
Minnesota NC state Indiana Colorado

Why does dome help us for basketball and not football? Winning games fills stadiums and changes atmosphere like basketball. If we have losing season after the carrier dome renovation, will recruit still want to come because we have new LED lighting? Winning is about recruiting, recruiting is about coaches.
I never said it didn’t, I explained why I feel it’ll help basketball a little more than football just because basketball is and always in a better place. Look I was pretty much just grasping for anything to keep me optimistic about the future of football at Syracuse OK.

That reason becomes redundant after its been 20 years and 5 coaches staffs of the same issues. All those guys are terrible recruiters? Its funny how they can recruit well at other P5 schools but they are MAC coaches at SU. Wheatley, Hart ,Stan Drayton off the top of my head were great recruiters. Can it possibly be something else? lol List some P5 teams that struggle to win but consistently out recruits other winning P5 teams. Those would be stud recruiters and we should get them to Cuse. I'll wait for your list.
I know for a fact that Syracuse is a great school. So here is what I will do. I will show you some pretty undisputed reasons why Syracuse is a great school that kids would want to attend. You can give me your excuses as to why it isn't and kids wouldn't want to come here.

Academics- HR managers and recruiters will speak to how valuable a degree from Whitman or Newhouse is, ask one. If you need help I will give you the number to mine.

Sports programs- The football program is legendary known for the greatest rb of all time as well as the 1st African American heisman winner. The basketball program is among the top and most recognizable in THE WORLD.

Facilities- The Carrier dome is world famous and known worldwide simply as "the dome". Currently in the process of being upgraded. Its incredible how many players have spoken on wanting to play in the dome. Another benefit is we literally play half our games in a perfect climate for football games, inside not out in the cold.

Competition/ Exposure- We play in a conference that has the best team in college football the past few years as well as multiple other prestigious schools with high brand recognition FL ST, Mia, ND. We play in games in large media markets that are easy to visit or watch on tv (Pittsburgh, Boston, Miami etc) I live in Houston TX and 6 to 7 games are on tv without me having to go into the 600 or higher channels on Direct TV to watch

Coach/gameplay/player development??????? This is the one area that is questionable. 3 of 4 years amongst worst in P5 and changing schemes, new coaches. Also the last few coaches have had huge question marks and even Marrone who was a good coach didnt have the grassroots ties to high school recruits as a NFL guy coming to college. Ironically he also didnt have the NFL stature or exposure of say a Herm Edwards or Lovie Smith to simply drum up interest in recruiting circles.

So again Syracuse is a great school AND historic program we just havent had great or historic coaches or recruiters recently. Now you tell me why Syracuse is so bad. I will wait!!!!

I know for a fact that Syracuse is a great school. So here is what I will do. I will show you some pretty undisputed reasons why Syracuse is a great school that kids would want to attend. You can give me your excuses as to why it isn't and kids wouldn't want to come here.

Academics- HR managers and recruiters will speak to how valuable a degree from Whitman or Newhouse is, ask one. If you need help I will give you the number to mine.

Sports programs- The football program is legendary known for the greatest rb of all time as well as the 1st African American heisman winner. The basketball program is among the top and most recognizable in THE WORLD.

Facilities- The Carrier dome is world famous and known worldwide simply as "the dome". Currently in the process of being upgraded. Its incredible how many players have spoken on wanting to play in the dome. Another benefit is we literally play half our games in a perfect climate for football games, inside not out in the cold.

Competition/ Exposure- We play in a conference that has the best team in college football the past few years as well as multiple other prestigious schools with high brand recognition FL ST, Mia, ND. We play in games in large media markets that are easy to visit or watch on tv (Pittsburgh, Boston, Miami etc) I live in Houston TX and 6 to 7 games are on tv without me having to go into the 600 or higher channels on Direct TV to watch

Coach/gameplay/player development??????? This is the one area that is questionable. 3 of 4 years amongst worst in P5 and changing schemes, new coaches. Also the last few coaches have had huge question marks and even Marrone who was a good coach didnt have the grassroots ties to high school recruits as a NFL guy coming to college. Ironically he also didnt have the NFL stature or exposure of say a Herm Edwards or Lovie Smith to simply drum up interest in recruiting circles.

So again Syracuse is a great school AND historic program we just havent had great or historic coaches or recruiters recently. Now you tell me why Syracuse is so bad. I will wait!!!!

Well hot damn. Someone forward this to Dino. I'm sure they haven't tried to use all this info in recruiting before and it's just this easy. You're brilliant General!

Sounds like a great pitch to a prospect If this was 1990. Are you assuming the staff doesn’t share this type of info with every kid they want? You have to sell this to current 17 year old kids that don’t care about nothing but being on a winning team.

Last edited:
I never said it didn’t, I explained why I feel it’ll help basketball a little more than football just because basketball is and always in a better place. Look I was pretty much just grasping for anything to keep me optimistic about the future of football at Syracuse OK.
We gotta win soon or else we’re be starting the process over in a few years

Sounds like a great pitch to a prospect If this was 1990. Are you assuming the staff doesn’t share this type of info with every kid they want? You have to sell this to current 17 year old kids that don’t care about nothing but being on a winning team.
Your proving my point. You cant articulate a argument that Syracuse isn't a good school AND or we have great recruiters. Here let me list the usual excuses.

Its cold in Syracuse
High School kids don't know our history
Nobody likes the city of Syracuse
Local kids dont want to go to Syracuse
Our coaches dont want higher ranked recruits
Stars in recruiting dont matter
We dont win enough games
Blah blah blah blah.

I hear a lot of excuses but good recruiters can recruit in any environment. Recruiting is just selling yourself and program but you havecto have effective closers

Last edited:
Your proving my point. You cant articulate a argument that Syracuse isn't a good school AND or we have great recruiters. Here let me list the usual excuses.

Its cold in Syracuse
We dont win enough games
Blah blah blah blah.

I hear a lot of excuses but good recruiters can recruit in any environment. Recruiting is just selling yourself and program but you havecto have effective closers

No offense, but as far as who to believe when it comes to how easy or difficult it is to recruit at Syracuse, money has a bit more credibility than you do.

No offense, but as far as who to believe when it comes to how easy or difficult it is to recruit at Syracuse, money has a bit more credibility than you do.
I am still waiting for the excuses as to why its soooooooo difficult to recruit to Syracuse

Its cold in Syracuse
We dont win enough games
Blah blah blah blah.

What argument? These are facts, not excuses. You act like you have to sell us on Syracuse. We are all invested in SU sports. We all know the strengths and weaknesses of the program. I'm just pointing out the challenges we face with recruiting.

Im still waiting for you to respond to all the P5 teams that our MAC recruiters beat in recruiting. P5 teams that have won more than us the last 15 years.

Last edited:
How about this? The last 20 years and Syracuse finished the season ranked twice.
1592709157704.png

The difficulty will remain until we start getting more people drafted in the nfl.

we are dealing with 17 year old kids and all they think about is getting in the league. They believe the name on the front of jersey gets them in the nfl.

most of them do not care about academics or the best fit for them to get on the field sooner.

unfortunately with the star system it gives these players a big head and they follow the name.

in the end as you see from the portal that a majority of these players leave the blue bloods within a year or two.

im not sure things will change anytime soon with the higher rated players until we get more players drafted regardless of the win loss record.

We all love SU and know what it provides academically and athletically but that’s a tough sell to a 17 year old kid. I will like to meet the recruiters that brought in top 40 classes for a school with that current history.
Perhaps my love and passions for SU comes out a little strong. I guess what I am saying is this:

Syracuse is by far a better University in totality than 70 -75% of D1 schools. It just baffles me that we have some MAC programs and all but 3 or 4 P5 teams out recruiting us year in and out.

Perhaps my love and passions for SU comes out a little strong. I guess what I am saying is this:

Syracuse is by far a better University in totality than 70 -75% of D1 schools. It just baffles me that we have some MAC programs and all but 3 or 4 P5 teams out recruiting us year in and out.
The 30% we are better than don't have to play in the ACC. What MAC programs you are referring to?

Last edited:

Just to be clear, specifically what MAC programs are you referring to that are out recruiting us year in and year out?

Because some of their fans are morons on message boards
Knowing that I am not a moron, the facts are quite simple why the Cuse can’t recruit. First, only six winning seasons in the last 20 years. Second, the weather is bad and you will say it is the same bad at PSU, Michigan, Wisconsin but they all win big...year in and year out. Third, Cuse facilities are still not on par with other schools, especially the ACC. Fourth, attendance issues due to playing losing football. Fifth, lack of NFL draftees. Sixth, recruits do not care about what happened in the 50’s and 60’s. Seventh, most NE schools have a better academic footprint than the Cuse and are higher rated...BC, Pitt and PSU. Lastly, Syracuse NY is not a college town but a struggling city with many city issues. I love the Cuse, Syracuse NY and Central NY but this is my rationale why we are currently last in P5 with five AAC teams having higher recruit ratings than SU.

Knowing that I am not a moron, the facts are quite simple why the Cuse can’t recruit. First, only six winning seasons in the last 20 years. Second, the weather is bad and you will say it is the same bad at PSU, Michigan, Wisconsin but they all win big...year in and year out. Third, Cuse facilities are still not on par with other schools, especially the ACC. Fourth, attendance issues due to playing losing football. Fifth, lack of NFL draftees. Sixth, recruits do not care about what happened in the 50’s and 60’s. Seventh, most NE schools have a better academic footprint than the Cuse and are higher rated...BC, Pitt and PSU. Lastly, Syracuse NY is not a college town but a struggling city with many city issues. I love the Cuse, Syracuse NY and Central NY but this is my rationale why we are currently last in P5 with five AAC teams having higher recruit ratings than SU.
These are all challenges they face. We all hope and think we will get back to the 90's. I think we will but we need to keep these things in mind when we are ready to explode after losing out on good recruits.

Tiger-sized bags of cash also help with recruiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom