The latest all encompassing recruiting thread | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

The latest all encompassing recruiting thread

I don't want to speak for General Joe but there is so many Ra Ra types already posting, I tend not to post on those positive vibes because the board has already has this covered. I personally don' think of each post as a poster but rather an idea, I don't know the poster, I don't take any idea personally, I just think the general tenor on this board is the blind optimist and other points of view need to be posted too. Just my thought. We're all fans. We all want SU to win, some think we're always on the brink of success while others don't see it and we're just spinning our tires. All sides should be able to post without personal attacks. I'm personally a I'll believe it when I see it, and right now I ain't seen it. Just 2018
I'm glad you aren't speaking for him. He has too many posts of..."I like Babers but..." It has the ring of things we sometimes hear in the South.

I'm glad you aren't speaking for him. He has too many posts of..."I like Babers but..." It has the ring of things we sometimes hear in the South.

Everything before the “but” is BS.

Speaking of Southern-isms -
Dear General Joe,
Bless your heart. ;)

It's fine to think our recruiting is OK or good enough. But that doesn't speak highly of Dino's coaching ability then does it? You can consistently go to bowl games with 3 * players if the system is good. So far the system has me skeptical.

GT, who was playing the triple option 18 months ago, pulls in a nice QB prospect from CA.

Assuming we just got the big OT from Hawaii, that makes 4 OL (granted, 2 TE), 3 DL and 2 LBs out of our first 11 scholarships this cycle. I like that a lot. We need to replenish our size.

Did you see that recruiting analysis article out there today? Basically said what I think we all know. Dino is trending up in recruiting over Shafer and Marrone, but only by small improvements.

They basically say that there is hope around the program, but we really have to win 8 games and a go to a decent bowl game this year, and win it. That will be the jolt of electricity to keep the pulse of this program beating again.

Dino's done some promising stuff, and already has some signature wins, and a signature season, but this is now the critical year after last year's OL fiasco. This year we must do well. We must play meaningful games in November and win some of them.

Only two P5 teams have slightly lower average rating than Cuse (83.81) and they are Wake (83.68) and Arizona (83.76). Also, there are numerous G5 teams higher than us so what gives with the lack of success with higher rated players? Tired of hearing the same stuff why Cuse can’t recruit while other teams continue to get stronger.

Only two P5 teams have slightly lower average rating than Cuse (83.81) and they are Wake (83.68) and Arizona (83.76). Also, there are numerous G5 teams higher than us so what gives with the lack of success with higher rated players? Tired of hearing the same stuff why Cuse can’t recruit while other teams continue to get stronger.
We’ve learned that cuse typically lands the bigger fish (in recruitment site’s eyes) late in the cycle.

The current commits are prospects the staff saw substantial value in early and closed on.

Anyone heard anything on the 2021 QB front? Been pretty quiet on the board since Leonard committed and there aren’t many threads left of available qbs. I know they’re out there talking to somebody!

Anyone heard anything on the 2021 QB front? Been pretty quiet on the board since Leonard committed and there aren’t many threads left of available qbs. I know they’re out there talking to somebody!
Justin Lamson was offered yesterday. Kid from CA

1afootballQBjfTe92k0vNWIm.gif

Syracuse is by far the hardest ACC school and probably the hardest P5 school in the country.

1) terrible location for local recruits
2) weather will and always will be an issue
3) private school with limited donors
4) harder of the two divisions
5) can’t fill the dome

with that being said, I do have to say, we have done fairly well. I don’t think we have done a great job in grabbing talent from nyc, ct and nj to develop pipelines for higher level recruits in the future. But then again we will never compete against psu and osu, so maybe the rational is go after 3rd level tier in Florida and hope for the best.

we NEED to win this year!
All of those reasons one through five that you said are absolutely true and I always hope that we will turn the corner but we never seem too and now I am clutching onto the dome renovation that maybe that will rejuvenate the recruiting a little bit for Syracuse like the dome did in the 80s and early 90s before we started to fall off.
It is very tough to recruit here and maybe if we had any kind of high school football talent in the state whatsoever it might be easier but we just have so many things that are going against us I just don’t know anymore. Basketball I have much more faith because the Pedegree and playing in front of 35,000 is a huge recruiting tool and we’re starting to see that Start up again With us in the conversation and actually closing on some of the top guys again but I just don’t know if I feel like...OK I feel like football and recruiting will get better and I just can’t wait for this renovation to be done so we can actually showcase the stadium that’s more STate of the art, what we have been dealing with for a long while now and of course they’re gonna have to keep spending money because that that’s just the name of the game

Orangejet be very very careful. When I point out our recruiting is on a MAC or AAC level "they" attack and or suspend me. While I agree with you and the "numbers dont lie" and support this fact, be careful stating the obvious here.

All of the "players dont want to go to Cuse" is BS. Thats why its called recruiting and not just sports enrollments. GOTTA SELL recruits. Some coaches do a great job of this and some dont. 4 cycles in gives you ample proof of what a coach is from a recruiting perspective.

All of those reasons one through five that you said are absolutely true and I always hope that we will turn the corner but we never seem too and now I am clutching onto the dome renovation that maybe that will rejuvenate the recruiting a little bit for Syracuse like the dome did in the 80s and early 90s before we started to fall off.
It is very tough to recruit here and maybe if we had any kind of high school football talent in the state whatsoever it might be easier but we just have so many things that are going against us I just don’t know anymore. Basketball I have much more faith because the Pedegree and playing in front of 35,000 is a huge recruiting tool and we’re starting to see that Start up again With us in the conversation and actually closing on some of the top guys again but I just don’t know if I feel like...OK I feel like football and recruiting will get better and I just can’t wait for this renovation to be done so we can actually showcase the stadium that’s more STate of the art, what we have been dealing with for a long while now and of course they’re gonna have to keep spending money because that that’s just the name of the game
Why does dome help us for basketball and not football? Winning games fills stadiums and changes atmosphere like basketball. If we have losing season after the carrier dome renovation, will recruit still want to come because we have new LED lighting? Winning is about recruiting, recruiting is about coaches.

Orangejet be very very careful. When I point out our recruiting is on a MAC or AAC level "they" attack and or suspend me. While I agree with you and the "numbers dont lie" and support this fact, be careful stating the obvious here.

All of the "players dont want to go to Cuse" is BS. Thats why its called recruiting and not just sports enrollments. GOTTA SELL recruits. Some coaches do a great job of this and some dont. 4 cycles in gives you ample proof of what a coach is from a recruiting perspective.
What are you selling though? What do we have that others don't? Kids can only go off faith for so long. 11 losing seasons in 15 years. That's a hard sell in snowy Syracuse and we rely on players from other states. How do you know if our last 4 staffs didn't maximize their recruiting efforts at Cuse?

What are you selling though? What do we have that others don't? Kids can only go off faith for so long. 11 losing seasons in 15 years. That's a hard sell in snowy Syracuse and we rely on players from other states. How do you know if our last 4 staffs didn't maximize their recruiting efforts at Cuse?
Maybe our last 4 staffs consisted of Mac coaches, a NFL assistant and a poor poor recruiter. Again good recruiters can recruit anywhere and Syracuse is a great great school with a story to tell.

Maybe our last 4 staffs consisted of Mac coaches, a NFL assistant and a poor poor recruiter. Again good recruiters can recruit anywhere and Syracuse is a great great school with a story to tell.
That reason becomes redundant after its been 20 years and 5 coaches staffs of the same issues. All those guys are terrible recruiters? Its funny how they can recruit well at other P5 schools but they are MAC coaches at SU. Wheatley, Hart ,Stan Drayton off the top of my head were great recruiters. Can it possibly be something else? lol List some P5 teams that struggle to win but consistently out recruits other winning P5 teams. Those would be stud recruiters and we should get them to Cuse. I'll wait for your list.

Last edited:
That reason becomes redundant after its been 20 years and 5 coaches staffs of the same issues. All those guys are terrible recruiters? Its funny how they can recruit well at other P5 schools but they are MAC coaches at SU. Wheatley, Hart ,Stan Drayton off the top of my head. Can it possibly be something else? lol List some P5 teams that struggle to win but consistently out recruits other winning P5 teams. Those would be stud recruiters and we should get them to Cuse. I'll wait for your list.
Take the 2016 recruiting the guys who should have been on the OL. O'Sullivan played 6 games in 2017 DQ for concussion. Clark played 12 games in 2017, dnp 2018 or 2019 DQ head injury. Heckle played in 2017 ended up DQ unknown. That's just for OL guys, can't build a winning team like that.

Take the 2016 recruiting the guys who should have been on the OL. O'Sullivan played 6 games in 2017 DQ for concussion. Clark played 12 games in 2017, dnp 2018 or 2019 DQ head injury. Heckle played in 2017 ended up DQ unknown. That's just for OL guys, can't build a winning team like that.
Agree. It’s been unfortunate that a lot of our departures came from the O line. That factored into our struggles last year. We shouldn’t have had to rely on grabbing Martin in 2018 and Alexander last year. We can’t predict injuries but Clark was a just a miss. You have misses in that first year because you have to sign a class while putting a staff together. Not sure if they were able to fully evaluate some of the commits in 2016.

Another note, Babers didnt honor Cam DeGeorge commitment. He could have been good for us. He was Uconn's best lineman and he is probably going to be agrad transfer starter for Louisville this season.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom