The latest all encompassing recruiting thread | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

The latest all encompassing recruiting thread

Dare I say Rutgers?
lol yes their current class will probably end up in the 40's. Its only high because of the amount of commits. BC average per recuit is almost the same and other Big 10 bottom feeders like Indiana and Maryland have higher ratings per commit. Schiano had 7 winning seasons in his last 8 years. Of course NJ kids will jump on the boat now that he's in the Big 10. So Im not too impressed with their 84.72 average. We average 84 last year and it wasnt a good class from a rankings standpoint.

Possibly Rutgers UVA and maybe even UMD over the last 10 years IDK about 15. But it wasn't my point or statement so I wasn't going to waste time going down that pointless rabbit hole
Virginia had 6 winning seasons, Rutgers 8, and Maryland 5 and also went to two additional bowl games where they lost. Maryland has always been able to recruit. They fail in development and consistency. DMV and NJ have a lot of quality players. Players with good recruiting rankings. Their 2nd tier prospects have 85 averages. NYS second tier prospects will be lucky to get a 82. Syracuse don't have the luxury of picking up a lot of high ranked kids that are within a 100 miles from the school.

Last edited:
lol yes their current class will probably end up in the 40's. Its only high because of the amount of commits. BC average per recuit is almost the same and other Big 10 bottom feeders like Indiana and Maryland have higher ratings per commit. Schiano had 7 winning seasons in his last 8 years. Of course NJ kids will jump on the boat now that he's in the Big 10. So Im not too impressed with their 84.72 average. We average 84 last year and it wasnt a good class from a rankings standpoint.
Schiano was a missed 30yd or so kick away from being #1 in the nation and playing potentially for a National Championship at Rutgers. He literally just minded NJ and NY for his recruits. Ray Rice, Davis the McCourty twins. "Build the fence is a phrase Schiano repeatedly screamed, which he stole from the great Coach Mac. I purposely didn't mention Rutgers because of the disdain for them here. But again proof that building a "fence" around the territory is not a loser. It wont be easy we have challenges but WTH are we doing thats so successful now????????

Virginia had 6 winning seasons, Rutgers 8, and Maryland 5 and also went to two additional bowl games where they lost. Maryland has always been able to recruit. They fail in development and consistency. DMV and NJ have a lot of quality players. Players with good recruiting rankings. Their 2nd tier prospects have 85 averages. NYS second tier prospects will be lucky to get a 82. Syracuse don't have luxury of picking up alot of high ranked kids that are within a 100 miles from the school.
Whoa we are making progress!!!! I agree with "DMV and NJ have a lot of quality players. Players with good recruiting rankings. Their 2nd tier prospects have 85 averages" and also about recruits 100miles away being few. Thats why I focus on " the territory" Those players that you reference in NJ,DMV and I might add in NYC are better than the ones we are trying to recruit in Florida with 85avg. That would be huge for us. I simply want to focus our efforts on those guys. Does this make sense?

Schiano was a missed 30yd or so kick away from being #1 in the nation and playing potentially for a National Championship at Rutgers. He literally just minded NJ and NY for his recruits. Ray Rice, Davis the McCourty twins. "Build the fence is a phrase Schiano repeatedly screamed, which he stole from the great Coach Mac. I purposely didn't mention Rutgers because of the disdain for them here. But again proof that building a "fence" around the territory is not a loser. It wont be easy we have challenges but WTH are we doing thats so successful now????????
LOL He built that fence around 2 and 3 star players. His first winning season was 2005 but showed promise with quality wins in 5-7 seasons. His highest commit in the 2005 class was a 3 star 85. He started getting quality commits when the won 11 games the following year. He went on to have 5 winning seasons in a row. He got his first class of a few 4 stars in 2009. That's only after 4 straight winning seasons. Stop with the foolery.

Last edited:
Whoa we are making progress!!!! I agree with "DMV and NJ have a lot of quality players. Players with good recruiting rankings. Their 2nd tier prospects have 85 averages" and also about recruits 100miles away being few. Thats why I focus on " the territory" Those players that you reference in NJ,DMV and I might add in NYC are better than the ones we are trying to recruit in Florida with 85avg. That would be huge for us. I simply want to focus our efforts on those guys. Does this make sense?
So now you are fine with stacking the class with regional low 3 stars? You have to make up your mind brother.

Last edited:
SMH. Ishmael wasnt a HCDB recruit. Hofrichter wasnt a HCDB recruit. The other two if you want to hang your hat on them cool. At that position there was a ton of higher rated local guys in our territory. If you want say Hacket I would then counter with Luke Benson PA (our territory). Is Hackett better than Benson???????
Firstly, your comment is about grabbing FL kids, not who grabbed them, so I’m confused why it matters if they were recruited by babers. It just shows FL kids that weren’t rated highly that we were able to get to NY and then became All-Americans. Secondly it’s not about hanging hats on, it’s about pointing out contributors which you said there were none other than Cisco which isn’t correct. Lastly, I believe Benson is going to be a great player, but Hackett was/is still starting and had a very productive year (more so than Benson). I also have to believe that when benson committed, you probably weren’t all that happy with it due to no offers and extremely low ranking, but now want to sing his praise.

So now you are fine with stacking the class with regional low 3 stars. You have to make up you mind brother.
I want the best recruits we can get. We are more likely to get those recruits from "our territory" as we see with Trill, Devito etc.

2018- 85 avg recruit 10 ACC 51 nationally
2019 - 84avg recruit 10ath 56 nationally
2020 -83.99 avg recruit 10th ACC 59 nationally

So 85 rated players are on our high end. I will take them. And replace some of the low rated guys with 1 or no other P5 offers that fill our commit sheets. If that is the tradeoff our classes and overall talent will be higher and I gotta believe we would be more competitive. So if I am getting 3 stars I would rather they be local kids from the "territory" like Erasmus Hall, Cardinal Hayes,Christ the King, Canarsie Milford, St Josephs, St Peters etc. Thats how you build pipelines.

Firstly, your comment is about grabbing FL kids, not who grabbed them, so I’m confused why it matters if they were recruited by babers. It just shows FL kids that weren’t rated highly that we were able to get to NY and then became All-Americans. Secondly it’s not about hanging hats on, it’s about pointing out contributors which you said there were none other than Cisco which isn’t correct. Lastly, I believe Benson is going to be a great player, but Hackett was/is still starting and had a very productive year (more so than Benson). I also have to believe that when benson committed, you probably weren’t all that happy with it due to no offers and extremely low ranking, but now want to sing his praise.
Great post let me reply. I wont say firstly... but a couple points.

We are a perennial P5 bottom feeder from a recruiting perspective. There is nothing to brag about. Recruiting class 51-59 is not good for a P5 team. Thats bottom quadrant. As such look at our win- lose record not vs Liberty, Villanova Holy Cross or MAC schools but vs other P5 schools. It is exactly as bad as the recruiting.

Cisco has been awesome love the pickup of him. Again outside of him what Florida recruit has been a standout on our team????? Not a guy who has 10 total catches in a 12 game season or is the 3rd or 4th DT, on a team with DT being is major weakness.... a difference maker. If we dont have any why not try a different approach??????? My approach is different

Lastly... errr finally, Benson was a "roster filler" type recruit. Here are his numbers

Wake 1 ctch 29yds td
Lou 1 ctch 11yds
Duke 2 ctch 28 yds 1 td 22 long
BC 1 ctch 12 yds
The Mighty Holy Cross 1 ctch 70yds td
Clemson 2 ctch 26yds
8 catches 176yds 3tds tds vs those powerhouses Holy Cross Wake Forest and Duke.

So I am not exactly singing his praises but I will never throw a freshman under the bus.

Last edited:
I want the best recruits we can get. We are more likely to get those recruits from "our territory" as we see with Trill, Devito etc.

2018- 85 avg recruit 10 ACC 51 nationally
2019 - 84avg recruit 10ath 56 nationally
2020 -83.99 avg recruit 10th ACC 59 nationally

So 85 rated players are on our high end. I will take them. And replace some of the low rated guys with 1 or no other P5 offers that fill our commit sheets. If that is the tradeoff our classes and overall talent will be higher and I gotta believe we would be more competitive. So if I am getting 3 stars I would rather they be local kids from the "territory" like Erasmus Hall, Cardinal Hayes,Christ the King, Canarsie Milford, St Josephs, St Peters etc. Thats how you build pipelines.

Lol General Joe Schiano's top commit was a 85. That wasnt the the class average. The class average was a 77 Good for 59th in the county.

Again we want kids from all those schools. We recruit those schools hard. It’s nice to have pipelines. The important thing is to get the players that can help us win. I can tell you right now that those coaches from those schools are not pushing their players with multiple p5 options to Cuse. Not until we win consistently.

You still haven’t made a case for why it has to be 3 stars from our area? “ If you are gonna lose We are gonna lose with regional pride”. That sounds ridiculous. You get the best players from wherever they are at.

Again I am pro NYS as it comes and Ive helped send players from the state to Syracuse. There’s no evidence of them being significantly better when our has a higher percentage local players. SU 's best teams had significant contribution from players from various states.

Last edited:
Great post let me reply. I wont say firstly... but a couple points.

We are a perennial P5 bottom feeder from a recruiting perspective. There is nothing to brag about. Recruiting class 51-59 is not good for a P5 team. Thats bottom quadrant. As such look at our win- lose record not vs Liberty, Villanova Holy Cross or MAC schools but vs other P5 schools. It is exactly as bad as the recruiting.

Cisco has been awesome love the pickup of him. Again outside of him what Florida recruit has been a standout on our team????? Not a guy who has 10 total catches in a 12 game season or is the 3rd or 4th DT, on a team with DT being is major weakness... a difference maker. If we dont have any why not try a different approach??????? My approach is different

Lastly... errr finally, Benson was a "roster filler" type recruit. Here are his numbers

Wake 1 ctch 29yds td
Lou 1 ctch 11yds
Duke 2 ctch 28 yds 1 td 22 long
BC 1 ctch 12 yds
The Mighty Holy Cross 1 ctch 70yds td
Clemson 2 ctch 26yds
8 catches 176yds 3tds tds vs those powerhouses Holy Cross Wake Forest and Duke.

So I am not exactly singing his praises but I will never throw a freshman under the bus.
In recent years, The best players has been a kid from Oregon, Texas, 3 All Americans from FL and one from Georgia. You feeling well today?

SMH. Ishmael wasnt a HCDB recruit. Hofrichter wasnt a HCDB recruit. The other two if you want to hang your hat on them cool. At that position there was a ton of higher rated local guys in our territory. If you want say Hacket I would then counter with Luke Benson PA (our territory). Is Hackett better than Benson???????

Who cares who recruited him, this is a territory discussion is it not? You need to just quit already.

I've seen many, many, many posts that state that stars don't matter.

Of the 10 years on this board discussing recruiting. I've haven't heard one person say we don't need 4/5 stars on the roster.

I've seen many, many, many posts that state that stars don't matter.
It matters when you get a bunch of them. You have to put that it into perspective. Top 300 players in the country are obvious. They show a high level of skill, speed and strength. You need a lot of them to really enhance your team. Some of them don’t pan out. The high 3 star to low 3 star is where it’s hard to gage. Sometimes there’s not much of a difference between a high level 3 star and a low 3 star. Rankings can be manipulated to push a certain agendas. Sometimes P5 offers are based on need and system fits sometimes a great player just goes under the radar because of where they are from. All those stars don’t mean much wants you step on campus. Potential can only do so far. The teams that don’t get the studs have to rely on development and culture until the they are able to land some.

Last edited:

building a fence around nys gets you nada

Schiano had the 1 good year in their entire history and mined FL the whole time -his “success” is bordering on mythology

the disdain for them is more of a chuckle mixed with a “guy steps on rake x1000” vibe

I’m still waiting to know when the hell they were a FG away from playing for a national title? They were pasted by Cincy by 19 points during their magical 2 loss season ending with a Texas Bowl victory. The stuff this guy comes up with ...

the reason we have more success in Florida is we have our best recruiter in Florida.
If we had a Swag in PA NJ DC we would do better. Im glad Monroe is covering part of NYC now.
Hopefully the new coaches can recruit. SU is a tougher sell than many schools so we really need top notch recruiters.

Speaking of the quality of student we are recruiting; a number of the southern football playing schools don't have the academic rigor of Cuse. This also goes for the schools these potential players attend, in k-12. It actually makes sense to recruit players who demonstrate a high level of academic accomplishment. That way, they are much better prepared for the academic experience here. Also, there are numerous NFL players who graduated from Ivy schools. If we can land the best of these; it's win-win for our program!

Last edited:
Speaking of the quality of student we are recruiting; a number of the southern football playing schools don't have the academic rigor of Cuse. This also goes for the schools these potential players attend, in k-12. It actually makes sense to recruit players who demonstrate a high level of academic accomplishment. That way, they are much better prepared for the academic experience here. Also, there are numerous NFL players who graduated from Ivy schools. If we can land the best of these; it's win-win for our program!

Ah yes the dreaded education myth was bound to appear ... it was only a matter of time.

Ive already mentioned the ridiculousness of Lonnie White ratings bump on his thread. I will put the latest one in this thread. This is another example of how ratings are skewed. DT Michael Jarvis was a 5.4 2 star up to this point. He recently committed to Wisconsin. Now he's a 5.6 3 star. Rivals is full of crap. Keep in mind that I was told by a analyst that no prospects would be evaluated because of lack of camps, 7v7 etc..

Last edited:
Ah yes the dreaded education myth was bound to appear ... it was only a matter of time.
And, have you ever worked in the field of Higher Education (college & university)?
I have and I am not saying that all schools, in the south, are not on a par with the academic rigor of Syracuse. I am, from long -standing experience, knowledgeable of some of the inequities in education systems in numerous areas of the south and, for example, a school like Jamesville-DeWitt, in Onondaga county is considered by many admissions counselors to be in par with Prep. Schools. When a student is primarily educated in New York, he/she is often considered better prepared that those in Florida, for example! (Enough about this; not trying to drag this thread into anything that is not about student athlete.

Last edited:
And, have you ever worked in the field of Higher Education (college & university)?
I have and I am not saying that all schools, in the south, are not on a par with the academic rigor of Syracuse. I am, from long -standing experience, knowledgeable of some of the inequities in education systems in numerous areas of the south and, for example, a school like Jamesville-DeWitt, in Onondaga county is considered many admissions counselors to be in par with Prep. Schools. When a student is primarily educated in New York, he/she is often considered better prepared that those in Florida, for example! (Enough about this; not trying to drag this thread into anything that is not about student athlete, Deal.
You were much nicer than I would have been... (he's dead wrong).

Back from vacation and this is one of the first posts I read. This is one of the funniest posts I've ever seen on this board. Mother of god.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom