The long term | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The long term

Cutliffes team is more competitive today against a better team.

Not so sure about that. We were down 1 in the 3rd, winning the TO battle, and left 14-21pts on the field in the 1st half.

We were plenty competitive.

The biggest concern from me is the fact that we are saw a lot of the same problems yesterday that we have seen in Dino's tenure. Penalties, O-line, and play calling all are still issues. Red Zone play calling is the most vanilla of vanilla. Obviously I'm not ready to throw in the towel, but combine those issues with a Gerg like offensive performance yesterday and it is easy to see how a lot of fans are frustrated.

Can’t wait to see how Hadley makes out at BC for he is recruiting at a high level, bringing in key transfers and causing a buzz in Beantown. Dino in year 5 should have the Cuse on the right course but that isn’t the case and it is super frustrating.

UNC was top 10 when Mac Brown left for Texas.
That is the point.

They hired idiots and then Butch Davis cheated and had them in the top 25 before he got fired for cheating.

Mac is bringing a good coach who can recruits.
2018 UNC was 2-10
In Mac’s first year he got them to 7-6.

Now in his second year they are preseason top 25. Their QB is going to be an NFL draft pick.

I would give my left nut for consecutive top 25 recruiting classes with one in the top 10 like UNC is getting.
Heck, I'd give your left nut for just one T25 recruiting class.

In Georgia they have to compete with the sec schools. What about UNC impressed you today?

Depth. Multiple RBs that we currently don't have. This is an odd hill to die on.

North Carolina, the state, is absolutely loaded with talent. New York, the state, is absolutely bereft of talent. They go a few miles and we go multiple hours to get kids. This isn't that hard to understand.
They also have 3 other in-state schools and have a bunch of big programs knocking on their door.

They also have 3 other in-state schools and have a bunch of big programs knocking on their door.

And, they are the gold standard in that state even with the other schools. Wake and Duke are like high school programs. State is the dumber brother.

Give NYS that talent a few BCS schools and its trade we'd all make.

Can’t wait to see how Hadley makes out at BC for he is recruiting at a high level, bringing in key transfers and causing a buzz in Beantown. Dino in year 5 should have the Cuse on the right course but that isn’t the case and it is super frustrating.
If Hadley has a 7 win year at BC in the next two or three seasons he’s going to get scooped by a bigger program. It’s a stepping stone job.

That’s why I prefer comparing Dino at Syracuse to Cutcliffe at Duke. We need him to get some consistency going and keep a healthy relationship so we’re successful enough and he’s happy enough to retire here. Consistently making a bowl game with occasional 9-10 win seasons and occasional 4 -5 win seasons is right where we should be.

We aren’t a destination job and there’s a ton of disadvantages going against us, which I know some people strongly disagree with. If we want consistent success we need a lifer at the helm. Firing Dino in the next year or two would be silly, IMO. We probably aren’t making a better hire and if we do chances are it’s a young up and comer who’s going to be awesome for a couple of years and then bolt for a better job with better money and we’ll be back to square one.

And, they are the gold standard in that state even with the other schools. Wake and Duke are like high school programs. State is the dumber brother.

Give NYS that talent a few BCS schools and its trade we'd all make.
It's football recruiting, not an academic competition. If not being dumb mattered, the SEC, B1G, and B12, and PAC (sans the Cali schools + UDub) would be hopeless.

But it's not a matter of them > us in recruiting. The issue is them >>> us.

You're also discounting the local competition. Schools like Clemson, Georgia, and Tennessee (plus VT, GT, and USCeast for what they're worth) are perched right next to them, waiting to snipe top-level talent - Vandy and UVA, too, but I'm not sure they're a big threat.

North Carolina, the state, is absolutely loaded with talent. New York, the state, is absolutely bereft of talent. They go a few miles and we go multiple hours to get kids. This isn't that hard to understand.
It's a good state I wouldn't say it loaded. I looked it up yesterday. NC is 20th I'm terms of d1 talent.

What Hill? That UNC is a little overrated.

The reasons why they are pretty good and able to get better quickly. Its talent, across the board and depth chart, that is locally grown and sourced.

It's football recruiting, not an academic competition. If not being dumb mattered, the SEC, B1G, and B12, and PAC (sans the Cali schools + UDub) would be hopeless.

But it's not a matter of them > us in recruiting. The issue is them >>> us.

You're also discounting the local competition. Schools like Clemson, Georgia, and Tennessee (plus VT, GT, and USCeast for what they're worth) are perched right next to them, waiting to snipe top-level talent - Vandy and UVA, too, but I'm not sure they're a big threat.

Didn't mean to call NCSU dumb, more that UNC is the fair-haired child. They said on the broadcast yesterday, and I'll somewhat botch this, that NC has 20 of the top 300 kids and UNC has 10 of those.

The reasons why they are pretty good and able to get better quickly. Its talent, across the board and depth chart, that is locally grown and sourced.
I didn't say they weren't good. Not sure they are the 18th best team in the country even though rankings are foolish at this point with 2 major conferences not playing football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom